Win 7 or upgrade to Win 10

Kenny.h

I’m upgrading my system to

Asrock Z370 Extreme 4

Intel I7 8700K

MSI GTX 1080 Armor 8G OC

At the moment I’m running Win7 pro and I like it but would I get any benefits performance wise by upgrading to Win10?

Will performance improve? Yes.

Will you notice it? Nope, difference isn't big enough.

It's possible to measure it, but that's it. I think it's like 2-3%?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You won't have Direct X 12 on win 7.

PC hardware is already too fast to be slowed down by the OS.

So the difference won't be noticable unless you're still on HDD boot disk.

I see no reason why you still on win 7, unless you want to keep certain legacy apps / hardware.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Windows 7 officialy won't support the 8700K. it will be functioning but you will get an popup thats nearly as big as your screen saying that your CPU is not supported.

Some features of the 8700K won't function with win7 so there can be programs where you can get a reall big boost compared to win7.

(4k video encoding won't be hardware accelerated, ...)

Stick with W7.

You wont have DX12 supports but u also wont have to deal with the ,imo, horrbile changes W10 has.

Also wont have nearly as much data gathering, and will retian more control over what your OS does.

You can get W10 to more or less act like W7, both in looks and functionality but its a real hassle. Not worth it imo.

You wont see any performance gains, ull probably see a faster boot up, but thats about it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

13 minutes ago, Chaftalie said:

Windows 7 officialy won't support the 8700K. it will be functioning but you will get an popup thats nearly as big as your screen saying that your CPU is not supported.

While that's true, there are some harmuful utilities to disable this, there is an utility called wufuc which will let you use Win7 unlocking all the limitations added by microsoft for new hardware

Windows 7 is currently at a security mainteance mode, meaning that you won't get any more features out of it except for security updates, in case you do care about DX12 games you should consider Windows 10, unless you prefer using DX11 and/or Vulkan you could decide to keep Windows 7 until microsoft will no longer support security updates for it, you definitely need to update since then

There are no noticeable performance difference between Win 7 and 10, while the 10 is less RAM intensive (compresses ram at runtime) it has more I/O activity due to automatic and forced windows updates and telemetry applications in the background when the PC is idle

11 hours ago, Chaftalie said:

Some features of the 8700K won't function with win7 so there can be programs where you can get a reall big boost compared to win7.

(4k video encoding won't be hardware accelerated, ...)

Does it give a popup? I've only seen it said that there will be a message if a person tried to run Windows Update that the CPU isn't supported.

That artificial restriction on Windows Update can be removed with this patch, though: https://github.com/zeffy/wufuc

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Thx for the info 

I’m gonna stick with my Win7 for now

and wil update to Win10 when I upgrade from my sata ssd to M.2