Add access point to network wirelessly

mousey92

My desktop does not have a wireless adapter anywhere, since I've always been able to connect to a router with a wire. But recently I've moved to a new apartment, and my study is literally on the exact other end of the space from my modem (which does have wireless functionality).

Now I could obviously either run a wire across my apartment, or buy a wireless card, but I happen to have an excess router (Linksys EA4500), that I was hoping to use for a solution. But so far, the only things I've found online is to use the router as an access point, with the router attached to the modem via wire. But I'd think you could attach a router that has wireless network capabilities to a modem that also has wireless network capabilities.

Is there any way to make that work? Or am I gonna have to go with a wireless card?

If the Linksys EA4500 has support for DD-WRT you can install that and create a wireless bridge with it and connect your computer to that.

I will say it before someone else does, if the wire is an option, do it.  There is no better solution.

Failing that, powerline might be a better option than wireless.  Wireless is generally the "if there is no other alternative" option as going through even one wall reduces the speed dramatically, across an apartment I'd expect it to reduce considerably.  That's even before considering interference.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 2/8/2019 at 8:56 PM, LinusOnLine said:

If the Linksys EA4500 has support for DD-WRT you can install that and create a wireless bridge with it and connect your computer to that.

Is that any different from the bridge mode that is already available on this router by default? The manuals I've found for that still require the router to be connected to the modem by wire

On 2/8/2019 at 11:07 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

I will say it before someone else does, if the wire is an option, do it.  There is no better solution.

Failing that, powerline might be a better option than wireless.  Wireless is generally the "if there is no other alternative" option as going through even one wall reduces the speed dramatically, across an apartment I'd expect it to reduce considerably.  That's even before considering interference.

Not entirely comfortable with powerline adapters since there's multiple apartments in the same building. There might be some others on the same electrical circuit and I'm afraid my security won't be all that terrific.

1 hour ago, mousey92 said:

Is that any different from the bridge mode that is already available on this router by default? The manuals I've found for that still require the router to be connected to the modem by wire

No its not the same. You would connect the Linksys router to your computer it and it would wirelessly connect to the current router. BUT you will most likely need to flash the Linksys with DDWRT first to have this feature. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, mousey92 said:

It sounds like a different bridge mode, from Linksys Q and A: 

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article/?articleNum=142570#sf3

3. When would a user want to select Bridge Mode for an Internet Connection Type?

Select Bridge Mode if a user purchases multiple Internet IP Addresses from their Internet Service Provider (ISP) and wants those IP Addresses to pass onto devices behind the router.

I can confirm that DD-WRT does have a wireless bridge feature that would do what you want, unfortunately it sounds like your router may not support DD-WRT.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA4500-as-Wireless-Bridge/td-p/541120

On 2/10/2019 at 3:48 PM, toastisspecial said:

It sounds like a different bridge mode, from Linksys Q and A: 

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article/?articleNum=142570#sf3

I can confirm that DD-WRT does have a wireless bridge feature that would do what you want, unfortunately it sounds like your router may not support DD-WRT.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA4500-as-Wireless-Bridge/td-p/541120

I saw the same and was hugely dissappointed, but I found an old Linksys WRT54G v2.2 and I'm currently working on getting DD WRT set up on that!

Many thanks for the suggestions fellas!