Create a Forum for choosing PC parts

iKingRPG
Go to solution Solved by TempestCatto,
2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Why not have that closer to the top? Or is there perhaps a way to set it so certain sub-forums are at the top for new users (so they'd see them rather than just post wherever)? Just a thought.

Should there be a forum for it?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should there?

• Yes (explain)
    • No (explain)

The most common post i see, is someone looking for someone to send them a list of parts so they can build a pc for their dad or something. Please vote!

Not really as there is already a forum on here for "New Builds And Planning"

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

1 minute ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

oh dang it! well no one ever posts there... it is always in general descusion...

1 minute ago, zombieshy_guy81 said:

Just now, iKingRPG said:

oh dang it! well no one ever posts there... it is always in general descusion...

They could always pin a post to the top of general discussion saying to put all "help me plan a build" posts in New Builds and Planning

Do i Recommend Ryzen? Yes. All of the Yes.

Main Rig Specs - BIG BOI

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9Ghz

ASUS Gaming TUF B450 Micro-ATX

2x4Gb HyperX DDR4 @2133

GTX 1070 Founders Edition

Corsair Crystal 280X

500Gb SanDisk Sata SSD, 1Tb 7200RPM Hdd

EVGA 500 Watt 80+ Bronze

EKWB A240

33 minutes ago, iKingRPG said:

Usually because they're new to the forum and they don't really know what all of the subforums are there for. I can't say I blame them tbh, I do think the forum needs a tutorial for newcomers.

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Why not have that closer to the top? Or is there perhaps a way to set it so certain sub-forums are at the top for new users (so they'd see them rather than just post wherever)? Just a thought.

4 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

General Discussion seems to be where a lot of newcomers tend to post their threads.

Why they don't scroll down to find an appropriate subforum, nobody really knows.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 hours ago, iKingRPG said:

I'd say it's quite opposite. 70% posts to new builds, 25% to general and 5% to other sections. This includes PC Gaming which is located near bottom of the site.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

General Discussion seems to be where a lot of newcomers tend to post their threads.

Why they don't scroll down to find an appropriate subforum, nobody really knows.

I'm sure in some capacity, you've dealt with the public en masse, if not only on these forums, somewhere else.
It's said there's truths in life: Death and Taxes. I believe there's a third; people. People are incompetent, they see "general discussion" and go full stop there. It's all-encompassing, it suits their needs. Every profession or hobby has it's things that seem so overwhelmingly apparent to those involved in it, but to those on the outside, it's not quite so cut-and-dry. If you've ever asked a mechanic questions about "x" or "y", a doctor about why "z" is the way it is, you've shown a certain level of incompetence. We are all incompetent at something, some of us more than others though.

9 hours ago, 1kv said:

Usually because they're new to the forum and they don't really know what all of the subforums are there for. I can't say I blame them tbh, I do think the forum needs a tutorial for newcomers.

For the reasons outlined above, unfortunately, I feel tutorials on how to do something are ineffective. I don't know how many time over the years I've referenced the PSU tier list to people despite the fact that it's stickied right there (even though the stickied thread does need to be updated, the "outdated" one still provides excellent information). Same goes for the audio board's recommendation thread. I don't think I can count the number of tech news threads that have been closed off because they didn't follow the posting requirements.

You can only make things so easy, and then hope for the best. The LTT forums and subforums aren't particularly hard to navigate, i'd go so far as to say they're some of the easiest. A tutorial may help, but like everything else that's been done, it will only get you so far.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I don't think a tutorial would be the way to go, because the same people who dump their topics in General Discussion would also skip/ignore a tutorial. I would like to add more contextual hints (replying to a topic, it points out the quote button) and wizardy things (create topic -> "is it about new build/troubleshooting/...?" -> guide them to the right place), but neither of those are things that I expect to have a chance to implement for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

HTTP/2 203

7 hours ago, Semper said:

I'm sure in some capacity, you've dealt with the public en masse, if not only on these forums, somewhere else.
It's said there's truths in life: Death and Taxes. I believe there's a third; people. People are incompetent, they see "general discussion" and go full stop there. It's all-encompassing, it suits their needs. Every profession or hobby has it's things that seem so overwhelmingly apparent to those involved in it, but to those on the outside, it's not quite so cut-and-dry. If you've ever asked a mechanic questions about "x" or "y", a doctor about why "z" is the way it is, you've shown a certain level of incompetence. We are all incompetent at something, some of us more than others though.

It's not too often we deal with GD getting flooded with questions, I think it's only happened once in the almost year I've been a mod here.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

9 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

I don't think a tutorial would be the way to go, because the same people who dump their topics in General Discussion would also skip/ignore a tutorial. I would like to add more contextual hints (replying to a topic, it points out the quote button) and wizardy things (create topic -> "is it about new build/troubleshooting/...?" -> guide them to the right place), but neither of those are things that I expect to have a chance to implement for the foreseeable future unfortunately.

not sure how easy it would be on the Invision forums (if at all possible) but some forum software (i think phpBB forums could do it) allows you to have a "post new topic" on the front page like

image removed

and then will allow them to select the sub forum from a list, might make it a bit easier for them to see a concise list all sub-forums on one page instead of having to scroll down.

kind of like this

image removed

obviously make less crowded as desired

EDIT: actually, the mobile site has this option, can it be brought across to the desktop site?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, Arika S said:

EDIT: actually, the mobile site has this option, can it be brought across to the desktop site?

IIRC it was removed not so long ago because it wasn't used that much. And thought was that doing so would make new users look more at where they are posting.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv