Plex Libraries

Go to solution Solved by Alef,

Try creating a symbolic link in a folder you know you have read write permissions with Plex, and point it to the mount point of the raid 1 drive 

So I am trying to set up a Plex server photos library on Ubuntu. I have two virtual drives (4 physical). One is raid 0, for movies and music and none crucial data, and the other is raid 1, for pictures and redundancy. I am trying to make the plex photos library on the Raid 1 drive but whenever I make a library and point it to a folder on the raid1 drive Plex doesn't recognize it. I have gotten a photos library to work on the raid 0 drive but would like it on the Raid 1 drive. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

One is raid 0, for movies and music and none crucial data, and the other is raid 1,

What are using for raid? Id just make one big raid 5 volume. ANd make sure to keep backups, raid isn't a backup

What are permissions? Does plex see the folders? What filesystem?

Its all set up on an old Dell server, Raid is run through the motherboard.

I'm using the server as a backup with redundancy

I would assume it has admin privileges, plex can see the Raid1 drive but doesn't show any files in it

Sorry if I don't fully answer all of your questions I'm semi-new to Linux

@Electronics Wizardy

Just now, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

Raid is run through the motherboard.

Motherboard raid is bad, please switch do software raid, much better.

Just now, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

I would assume it has admin privileges, plex can see the Raid1 drive but doesn't show any files in it

This still fells like permissions issue, What are the permissions on the files?

The whole system is set up on a Dell Poweredge T610, so it has a dedicated raid controller. 

How would I go about checking the permissions, it has whatever the default permissions are because that’s not something I have changed

3 hours ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

The whole system is set up on a Dell Poweredge T610, so it has a dedicated raid controller. 

How would I go about checking the permissions, it has whatever the default permissions are because that’s not something I have changed

ls -l will show permissions.

34 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

try a chmod -R 777 on the folder in test that will let everyone view the filews. I don't know the exact user and group plex is running in.

You can run a ps aux | grep plex which will show the process and the user it's running as. 

alternatively you can just run top to view the list and manually look through it for plex. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Yup so the user that plex is running as is "plex"

So then you need to go into the directory you want to access, and check who owns the directory your pictures are in, probably your user "alex" which is why it cant see it. 

The easiest and best way to give access to plex is to just give it read access, so you should chmod 755 the folder. 

So if your pictures are in /mnt/sdb/pictures then you want to run sudo chmod 755 -R /mnt/sdb/pictures

Your root folders I believe already have this permission, but the sub folders probably don't. 

P.S never use 777 as a fix, that should be for testing only. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, xXCapAwesomeXx said:

@Jarsky Ran the command and still isn't working

can you run an 'ls -l' inside of the folder that has the photos? 

can you check the logs as well for any related errors?

In Plex go to  Settings > Manage > Troubleshooting > Download Logs

They may also be in /var/log

Spoiler

Spoiler

I tried running ls -l /media/alex/Raid1/Photos but nothing happened

I also tried running sudo chmod 644 /media/alex and sudo chgrp -R alex /media/alex/Raid1/Photos and chgrp -R alex /media

The plex permissions support page suggested to run those and still nothing works

image.png.65eb011bdf6a267fdd374cb4c937bc7e.pngimage.png.c99c3b48e9fe870b59e3c7918ac9e285.png

I also found a plex tuner service logs as well

@Jarsky

Try creating a symbolic link in a folder you know you have read write permissions with Plex, and point it to the mount point of the raid 1 drive 

ln -s (source folder path) (destination path)

ex "ln -s /mnt/cifs/Alef_Files /home/alexandre/Alef_Files"

I don't think there is a way to default them per say. But you can change them. I am not familiar with the chgrp command I have always used chown but I think it just changes the group set on the files from what I have read.

what user are you using to access the files, what group(s) is the user a member off, what is the owner & group set as on the files your trying to access (might need to be root to check).

Also if your unsure on how to do anything above, a quick google should provide the results your looking for