My 1gbps Ethernet Port only at 100mbps? I can't get my 400mbps plan.

TopazBrandon

Hardwired Ethernet. Modem -> Router -> PC.

Every time I run a speed test my speed starts at 160ish then slowly comes down to a halt at 90ish. I had Spectrum come out and check the internet speed and it is at 400mbps and my phone picks up 370ish through WiFi.

My MSI Gaming 5 Motherboard has Killer E2200 Ethernet port which is 1gbps capable. Even under Control Panes -> Networking -> Ethernet Status shows (Speed: 1gbps). I can't figure out why I can't get 400mbps! I'm also getting 10mbps upload instead of 20 on my PC

I checked my Ethernet drivers and they're up to date. and Windows 10 is up to date.  I'm at a stand still. Thoughts? Can I buy a usb WiFi piece and bypass Ethernet for 400ish?

Using x2 Ethernet 5e cables.

CPU: i7 4790k -  CPU Cooler: Corsair H60  -  Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 5  -  Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB (Military green)  -  Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Samsung 840 EVO 120GB  -  GPU: GTX 780 Ti SC ACX  -  Case: Corsair C70 (Military Green)  -  PSU: Corsair RM850w Gold  -  OD: LG Blue-ray  -  OS: Windows 10  -  Monitor: AOC 29" Ultra Wide

What model router?

Edit:

If you connect directly to the modem do you get the rated speed?

(Sometimes have to reboot the modem after you connect and after you disconnect and connect the router)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

You are using the wrong pcpartpicker link. Use the permalink and paste it here.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

What model router?

RAC2V1S?

CPU: i7 4790k -  CPU Cooler: Corsair H60  -  Motherboard: MSI Z97-Gaming 5  -  Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB (Military green)  -  Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Samsung 840 EVO 120GB  -  GPU: GTX 780 Ti SC ACX  -  Case: Corsair C70 (Military Green)  -  PSU: Corsair RM850w Gold  -  OD: LG Blue-ray  -  OS: Windows 10  -  Monitor: AOC 29" Ultra Wide

1 minute ago, VinsinityKT said:

You are using the wrong pcpartpicker link. Use the permalink and paste it here.

My build is also in the signature. vvvvvv

10 minutes ago, TopazBrandon said:

I can't figure out why I can't get 400mbps! I'm also getting 10mbps upload instead of 20 on my PC

It could just be the downlink/uplink speed to your modem. I pay for Gigabit plan but in reality I only get around 600Mbps for my download speed.

One possible issue could be statistical multiplexing, but that's unlikely.

Anyways, try plugging your PC directly into your modem, run a speed test, and post your results.

Is anyone hogging your internet connection (maybe watching TV, a stream, etc.)?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, Geography said:

It could just be the downlink/uplink speed to your modem. I pay for Gigabit plan but in reality I only get around 600Mbps for my download speed.

One possible issue could be statistical multiplexing, but that's unlikely.

Anyways, try plugging your PC directly into your modem, run a speed test, and post your results.

Is anyone hogging your internet connection (maybe watching TV, a stream, etc.)?

I'm the only one at the house right now. No WiFi in usage. If I plug an Ethernet cable from the modem into the PC there will be no internet connection therefore I can't run the speedtest.

Just now, TopazBrandon said:

If I plug an Ethernet cable from the modem into the PC there will be no internet connection

Sometimes you have to enable a physical port in your modem settings. Type in 192.168.0.1, login to your modem, and enable the port you're trying to use.

Sometimes you can also see the speed there.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

I've logged into the 192... modem settings and I can go to the port section but, I don't know what I'm looking for/at.

When I start the speedtest.net It shoot sup to 150 then it declines to 96 steadily.

I would rather get my own router than get one from the ISP. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Can you try uninstalling the current network drivers & software for the Killer NIC and installing just the basic drivers? Killer software does a lot of QoS out of the box, which sounds good in theory, but doesn't work as intended in practice.

https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/category/other-downloads

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

9 hours ago, Joonikko said:

Can you try uninstalling the current network drivers & software for the Killer NIC and installing just the basic drivers? Killer software does a lot of QoS out of the box, which sounds good in theory, but doesn't work as intended in practice.

https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/category/other-downloads

I followed your directions and was downloading the drivers... While it was downloading I saw something about "Killer Network Center" and I went to it on my PC. I just changed from 100 to 1,000 mbps speed!!!!!!!!!! I stopped the driver download and did a speed test. 400-430mbps!!!!  LET ME KISS YOU!

17 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

I would rather get my own router than get one from the ISP. 

We're going to use Google WiFi after we get everything sorted from the move! I heard nothing, but great things about Google WiFi.

Just wired up my office (vs eero) with Cat6 home run to cable modem in another room (no way to place it in my office).

My PC has Killer E2200 Ethernet also. Should be good to 1GB/S. As with you it started for a second at about 160 mbps then dropped down to about 90 mbps.

Went to the control panel for the Qualcomm Killer Network Manager (bottom right of task bar on Win 7). Under Network there is a section titled Internet Provider Speed. Download was set to 100 megabits. Changed this to 1,000 and closed the manager. Tried Speedtest again and came in at 300 mbps - this is what my current cable modem is providing.

On 2/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, pumori said:

Just wired up my office (vs eero) with Cat6 home run to cable modem in another room (no way to place it in my office).

My PC has Killer E2200 Ethernet also. Should be good to 1GB/S. As with you it started for a second at about 160 mbps then dropped down to about 90 mbps.

Went to the control panel for the Qualcomm Killer Network Manager (bottom right of task bar on Win 7). Under Network there is a section titled Internet Provider Speed. Download was set to 100 megabits. Changed this to 1,000 and closed the manager. Tried Speedtest again and came in at 300 mbps - this is what my current cable modem is providing.

If you are going to do that you might as well remove the network manager entirely as you effectively bypassed the QoS.

Could be worth setting it to 300MBit and see if it works properly?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7