Spotify getting quieter when reciving Discord notifications?

Its like the infamous Skype screwing over audio but i cant find any settings like that in Mint :/ Not sure if other programs get lowered in volume but they probably do. If anyone knows what settings i need to change to get rid of this crap id love to know because this is extremely annoying because its not just during the notification ping but the volume stays low for a few second >:(

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

check your audio settings and make sure "Do Nothing" is selected under Communication tab as shows in the image.

image.png.ecd0033e6fe0bc58997a6fb56e2e7495.png

39 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i cant find any settings like that in Mint

image.thumb.png.a18ea54eaf2ae147ce402380f228db3a.png

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, WikiForce said:

duh. it's windows audio settings.

And i am not using Windows. So that setting does not exist.

Builds:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Its like the infamous Skype screwing over audio but i cant find any settings like that in Mint :/ Not sure if other programs get lowered in volume but they probably do. If anyone knows what settings i need to change to get rid of this crap id love to know because this is extremely annoying because its not just during the notification ping but the volume stays low for a few second >:(

I use both spotify and discord in linux but never had such issue...

But what I have changed in discord is the automatic gain control and all the echo cancel settings in discord itself

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

I use both spotify and discord in linux but never had such issue...

But what I have changed in discord is the automatic gain control and all the echo cancel settings in discord itself

il try that, but it seems to be a system thing or a spotify thing as spotify got muffled when i got the LTT notification from your reply too :/

Builds:

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

il try that, but it seems to be a system thing or a spotify thing as spotify got muffled when i got the LTT notification from your reply too :/

If you are using mint it could be some strange cinnamon setting, I would tell you dig into the cinnamon audio setting to check if there's somethng strange

Or just change the desktop just to try

I believe pulseaudio could have some kind of interface to allow applications to reduce volume of other applications when they play sound (especially notifications or something). It could be a DE thing or something (and an intended feature, but I can see it can become intrusive). However, a quick Google search doesn't bring up anything related, and I've never noticed this behavior (Arch/Plasma).

Which Mint flavor (DE) are you using?

12 minutes ago, Wild Penquin said:

I believe pulseaudio could have some kind of interface to allow applications to reduce volume of other applications when they play sound (especially notifications or something). It could be a DE thing or something (and an intended feature, but I can see it can become intrusive). However, a quick Google search doesn't bring up anything related, and I've never noticed this behavior (Arch/Plasma).

Which Mint flavor (DE) are you using?

Mint 19.2 with the Cinnamon desktop

1 hour ago, Lukyp said:

If you are using mint it could be some strange cinnamon setting, I would tell you dig into the cinnamon audio setting to check if there's somethng strange

Or just change the desktop just to try

Unless there are more settings than what the sound and pulseaudio menues hand me i have looked everywhere for a toggle for this shit :(

Builds:

Spoiler

I think i solved it?

In Alsamixer i went into my soundcard and muted "smart volume" and that has done it i think? not 100% but i think that did it :)

Builds:

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I think i solved it?

In Alsamixer i went into my soundcard and muted "smart volume" and that has done it i think? not 100% but i think that did it :)

Wtf what the hell is smart volume? never had that option in my life (also because I use pulseaudio, I'm surprised it doesn't detect it)

Lol funny....

1 minute ago, Lukyp said:

Wtf what the hell is smart volume? never had that option in my life (also because I use pulseaudio, I'm surprised it doesn't detect it)

Lol funny....

Soundcard specific thing im guessing. I have a Soundblaster Z that was causing my problems that made me update the kernel to 4.20.6 and fix my audio in Alsamixer. I cant say i understand everything but i know what i have done at least :P now i just need to make games run, so far no luck with MTGA using Lutris :/

Builds:

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Soundcard specific thing im guessing. I have a Soundblaster Z that was causing my problems that made me update the kernel to 4.20.6 and fix my audio in Alsamixer. I cant say i understand everything but i know what i have done at least :P now i just need to make games run, so far no luck with MTGA using Lutris :/

Ohhhh that's why, didn't know it got support since 2 years ago my friend couldn't get it to work, I guess all pulseaudio is built around generic integrated sound cards btw

If it doesn't run it could be for the mesa-vulkan-drivers in ubuntu if you use the nvidia proprietary ones they will cause incompatibility https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/wiki/Common-issues

23 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

Ohhhh that's why, didn't know it got support since 2 years ago my friend couldn't get it to work, I guess all pulseaudio is built around generic integrated sound cards btw

If it doesn't run it could be for the mesa-vulkan-drivers in ubuntu if you use the nvidia proprietary ones they will cause incompatibility https://github.com/lutris/lutris/wiki/How-to:-DXVK
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/wiki/Common-issues

im getting a no DX11 error atm, hopefully something from those links can help me out :)

Builds:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

im getting a no DX11 error atm, hopefully something from those links can help me out :)

I had the same because I installed the mesa-vulkan-drivers when I had the nvidia proprietary one

13 minutes ago, Lukyp said:

I had the same because I installed the mesa-vulkan-drivers when I had the nvidia proprietary one

im fairly sure i only did things explicitly labled NVIDIA driver but il check xD

Builds:

Spoiler