Multiple NIC Configuration h/NAS

omgitsdefault

Hello Forum, 

I have a computer/gaming workstation which I would like to add to a 10G network, currently I'm using the Intel NIC for internet access and to access computers on my local network, 

However I also have a NAS windows Machine which has a Asus 10G network card installed, I was wondering if I could add a second NIC to my gaming desktop and have both networks connected to my desktop.

I don't need internet access to my NAS computer and they would be connected via their own interfaces, can they still be configured to work only with each other 

for example 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3 by setting them up in the windows LAN properties under their respective adapters. 

Hope this makes sense. 

Im not too good in this field but it should work since you can have multiple network connections on most computers using wifi and such. Youd probably need to set up a dhcp to give out ip adresses if you dont wanna set them up with your existing router. Or you could make a cross over ethernet cable so they could talk directly to eachother. As i said im not super good with such these this and this is all i know

6 minutes ago, cashan said:

Im not too good in this field but it should work since you can have multiple network connections on most computers using wifi and such. Youd probably need to set up a dhcp to give out ip adresses if you dont wanna set them up with your existing router. Or you could make a cross over ethernet cable so they could talk directly to eachother. As i said im not super good with such these this and this is all i know

I just want the Asus NIC's to talk to each other directly as a seperate network. Problem is I dont want to have a router between them as they're limited to 1Gb, I was just asking if this was possible. 

Just now, omgitsdefault said:

I just want the Asus NIC's to talk to each other directly as a seperate network. Problem is I dont want to have a router between them as they're limited to 1Gb, I was just asking if this was possible. 

Look up cross over cables. Its a special type of ethernet cable that lets computers talk to eachother

12 minutes ago, omgitsdefault said:

You can just connect the nics, setup a static ip on boath and it will work fine.

11 minutes ago, cashan said:

Look up cross over cables. Its a special type of ethernet cable that lets computers talk to eachother

this isn't a thing anymore, normal cables work fine.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can just connect the nics, setup a static ip on boath and it will work fine.

i guess im a bit behind

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks, I just wanted to confirm this, seemed the cheapest route possible and very least hassle, I already have CAT6a wiring to all the devices, I will get it setup with pictures tonight!