Internet Access Impact on IQ, Graduation Rates, and the economy

Before the Internet, I believe, people read these things called books! and asked people for information, I even think they went OUTSIDE! There was no LTT channel! people I thiiink wrote letters too??

Again, Im young and I can not confirm any of this...

Ok, guys we have come a long way and I, have never known a world without WiFi, the internet, and the advanced tech we have now. I don't know what people will think about this topic, but I was wondering if there are any people out there on this forum who might have something to say about the internet and how it has changed education and technologic growth. I mean, there must be some impact on things like grad rates, inventions, IQ, money. So if anyone out there knows a thing or two about this, I think it would be awesome to get a debate on people agreeing or disagreeing with how the internet affects us. 

thx ? 

-james

2 minutes ago, James the Broke Gamer said:

how it has changed education and technologic growth. I mean, there must be some impact on things like grad rates, inventions, IQ, money

I do not think anyone here is qualified to give anything other than wholly subjective, anecdotal data on such wide topics.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

College has gotten more expensive, Idk if this has anything to do with it. also USA is in debt still ;) 

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I do not think anyone here is qualified to give anything other than wholly subjective, anecdotal data on such wide topics.

hey does anyone have some stats they found on this maybe?

I think the internet and the ''tapped in'' world we have today have a positive effect on stimulating mental growth for children, but I also believe that the ''instant access gratification'' of social media, phone games and such have a detrimental effect on children's attention span. Not to mention kids getting less exercise and play outside a lot less which brings with all kinds of issues on development, I remember reading a study in Sweden saying that the situation for teenage girls were particularly bad.

As for IQ it's mostly genetic anyway so any positive or negative effect the internet might have on it is going to be very minor.

this is more of an thesis topic lol

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Elbow said:

I think the internet and the ''tapped in'' world we have today have a positive effect on stimulating mental growth for children, but I also believe that the ''instant access gratification'' of social media, phone games and such have a detrimental effect on children's attention span. Not to mention kids getting less exercise and play outside a lot less which brings with all kinds of issues on development, I remember reading a study in Sweden saying that the situation for teenage girls were particularly bad.

As for IQ it's mostly genetic anyway so any positive or negative effect the internet might have on it is going to be very minor.

definetly agree- about the social media part, I have wondered about if this affects girls more than boys, I know at my school, girls are waaaay more into snapchat and insta than boys are (I also dont like those things)

2 minutes ago, James the Broke Gamer said:

definetly agree- about the social media part, I have wondered about if this affects girls more than boys, I know at my school, girls are waaaay more into snapchat and insta than boys are (I also dont like those things)

Though it's entirely anecdotal and not an argument I do feel like I have a lower attention span/have a harder time to get invested in uninteresting things today than I had in my early teens (over ten years ago). I'm used to turn on a 10 minute youtube video and be entertained in that time, read a 5 minute manga chapter or laugh at some random meme online. I hardly even read any books anymore either.

Back as a kid the main source of enjoyment was playing with sticks in the woods surrounding our local school. We had a bunch of crappy ones with one really good stick and if you were the one that got it you had better be grateful for it. Today I see kids who isn't even at an age where they can write properly carrying around $1000 dollar phones that they have thousands of games they can play on, disregarding whether that's positive or negative it's definitely a huge change from just 15-20 years ago where at most we had a gameboy with Pokemon and 2-3 random games.

I've come to the conclusion we are living in a fake reality and do not have free will

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

2 minutes ago, Elbow said:

Though it's entirely anecdotal and not an argument I do feel like I have a lower attention span/have a harder time to get invested in uninteresting things today than I had in my early teens (over ten years ago). I'm used to turn on a 10 minute youtube video and be entertained in that time, read a 5 minute manga chapter or laugh at some random meme online. I hardly even read any books anymore either.

Back as a kid the main source of enjoyment was playing with sticks in the woods surrounding our local school. We had a bunch of crappy ones with one really good stick and if you were the one that got it you had better be grateful for it. Today I see kids who isn't even at an age where they can write properly carrying around $1000 dollar phones that they have thousands of games they can play on, disregarding whether that's positive or negative it's definitely a huge change from just 15-20 years ago where at most we had a gameboy with Pokemon and 2-3 random games.

wow that is really awsome feed back! personally, I like reading just because I happen to be good at it, also, as I get older there are more books available to me that I was too young to read a few years ago. Also, i am told a meme a day keeps the ligma away ? 

2 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

I've come to the conclusion we are living in a fake reality and do not have free will

i have come to the conclusion that celary is a glitch in the matrix

4 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

How would you define ''real reality'' and ''fake reality'' then?

There's a very large likelihood that we're living in a simulation, not like we're tapped into a virtual reality like in the Matrix but that our entire reality/universe has been created by a highly developed species/individual for their personal enjoyment.

Ask yourself this, at this rate how developed do you think humans will be a billion years from now, would we be capable of simulating a reality like this one by then and how many races out there in a near infinite universe would be capable of doing the same? To believe that we're part of an ''original'' reality seems highly unlikely to me, and whether we're simulated as in a futuristic supercomputer or whether our universe itself is a crafted simulation seems kinda irrelevant looking at the big picture.

Donald Trump is president and McDonald Burgers still is unhealthy as always. I don't know if internet has something to do with it....

Sudo make me a sandwich 

12 hours ago, wasab said:

Donald Trump is president and McDonald Burgers still is unhealthy as always. I don't know if internet has something to do with it....

actually,

u have a good point with social media affecting politics, what would trump have done if he didnt have twitter ;)