Help me decide between these PSU

zedsdeath
Go to solution Solved by r2724r16,
10 minutes ago, zedsdeath said:

CORSAIR VS Series, VS550, 550 Watt, 80+ White Certified, Non-Modular Power Supply

EVGA 750 N1, 750W, 2 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-N1-0750-L1

Those are both pretty crap. Get a Corsair CX550M instead.

CORSAIR VS Series, VS550, 550 Watt, 80+ White Certified, Non-Modular Power Supply

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-VS550-Certified-Non-Modular-Supply/dp/B078HDMFRZ/ref=sr_1_12?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548368792&sr=1-12&keywords=power%2Bsupply&th=1 

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Warranty-Power-Supply-100-N1-0750-L1/dp/B01LZ3WDQG/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548362037&sr=1-8&keywords=power%2Bsupply&th=1

I'm upgrading my 6 year old 475w psu so I can use a new graphics card(XFX RX 580 GTS that asks for a minimum of 500w psu) so which one would you think its the better option considering this price point(I know you may say but if you put 30$ more you get this other psu etc ... lets stay at this price point).

10 minutes ago, zedsdeath said:

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, Geography said:

That was my first option but I tried to go cheaper haha I shouldnt do that on the psu. Ok thanks. Could you tell my why are they crap? so I could learn something about it

4 minutes ago, zedsdeath said:

Could you tell my why are they crap? so I could learn something about it

I don't know much about PSUs. I can tell you that the VS series is one of Corsair's worst PSU series, and JonnyGURU's review of the EVGA N1 gives it a terrible score.

@jonnyGURU

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 hours ago, zedsdeath said:

I know you may say but if you put 30$ more you get this other psu etc ... lets stay at this price point)

The Corsair VS. That EVGA N1 is garbage.

For only $10 more though you could get a CX550. Keep an eye out for rebates on the Corsair units as you can often get $10-$20 mail in rebates.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I think you can wait for a sale when something better reaches your target price point (if you can wait at all). I really don't recommend going cheap on PSU, because it might introduce tones of problems down the line, and it might cost you more to fix that problem years later.

7 hours ago, zedsdeath said:

I'm upgrading my 6 year old 475w psu so I can use a new graphics card(XFX RX 580 GTS that asks for a minimum of 500w psu)

No, you're not. You're sidegrading it.

And that shit doesn't even need 500W. My Ryzen 7/1700x with RX580 is at around 200-250W in Assasin's Creed Odyssey right now...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 1/25/2019 at 12:25 AM, Stefan Payne said:

No, you're not. You're sidegrading it.

And that shit doesn't even need 500W. My Ryzen 7/1700x with RX580 is at around 200-250W in Assasin's Creed Odyssey right now...

it has two 12v rails and they are like 18 amps each so they cant hold that much current. And also its 6 years old am I expected to wait for it to die haha?. Well its awesome that your rig draws so little. I'm following linus and a couple other youtubers advice and this site https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

3 hours ago, zedsdeath said:

it has two 12v rails and they are like 18 amps each so they cant hold that much current. And also its 6 years old am I expected to wait for it to die haha?. Well its awesome that your rig draws so little. I'm following linus and a couple other youtubers advice and this site https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

1. Stop using that garbage Outervision shit. That overestimates way too much. I've mentioned what I actually measured. Not guessed with some Database based "Software" that doesn't do more than adding TDP...
  2. And how much is 18A?? Its 216W. That's more than enough for a mid range GPU and to be fair, I'd rather use an older OEM/Delta or Liteon PSU than a new low end crap EVGA White unit.
  3. And what Advise is that?! To pay more for a PSU you don't need?! Get a garbage 750W instead of a good quality 400-450W PSU? They both cost about the same!

And how do you know that your favorite Youtuber knows anything about PSU?! I just saw some known one replace a perfectly fine "No Name" PSU that was better with a shittier "Named Brand" one that doesn't have OCP, UVP, UVP and is loud at around 250W load...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:
  1. Stop using that garbage Outervision shit. That overestimates way too much. I've mentioned what I actually measured. Not guessed with some Database based "Software" that doesn't do more than adding TDP...
  2. And how much is 18A?? Its 216W. That's more than enough for a mid range GPU and to be fair, I'd rather use an older OEM/Delta or Liteon PSU than a new low end crap EVGA White unit.
  3. And what Advise is that?! To pay more for a PSU you don't need?! Get a garbage 750W instead of a good quality 400-450W PSU? They both cost about the same!

And how do you know that your favorite Youtuber knows anything about PSU?! I just saw some known one replace a perfectly fine "No Name" PSU that was better with a shittier "Named Brand" one that doesn't have OCP, UVP, UVP and is loud at around 250W load...

Im just going for the 225w asking of amd/xfx being the manufacturer of the psu... and I got the CX corsair bronze plus unit one not the evga white, that was why I was asking on this forum. Funny enough one of the youtubers is linus