Upgrading i5-4690k PC. Having issues with part choices.

So I'm in the process of choosing parts to upgrade my old Windows 7 i5-4690k PC. I'm going to keep the 750w psu and my GTX 970 to use in my new system, until I get more saved for a RTX. I'm mostly going to use it as a gaming PC but I also am in the process of learning Android development, I also do some HTLM and Java programming, but at the moment I'm still new to Android. I'm upgrading becasue Windows 7 only supports 16GB of RAM and I have DDR3 atm. I might OC a little down the road, but I didn't OC my current PC and it's been fine for me.

I was originally looking at the i7-9700k but after doing some research the last few day I'm leaning more towards the i7-8700k. For the MB I was getting the Asus ROG Strix z390-E but I've heard a lot about how Asus kinda dropped the ball with it's z390 boards. I also haven't chosen my case yet, I would like a full tower, but will take a mid tower if I like it, so I can upgrade again with SLI RTX cards and a water cooling setup. I also picked the most popular fan on pcpartpicker as a place holder until I finalize the rest to make sure I have a big enough fan.

My part list that I have so far, I would like to keep the MB around $250 and the case around $200. Any advise would be helpful, I pick the Asus board since i have the Z97-A and have always gotten good boards from them.

P.S. I also just bought a 500GB portable ssd to backup my current system, incase windows does windows stuff, but for some reason the backup fails while trying to read the shadow copy.

Sadly, the hyper 212 evo isn't king anymore, so change the cooler. Also, Asus did pretty bad with their motherboards for Z390, they all have pretty bad VRMs so the board gets toasty when overclocking. You can spend way less (or about the same) and get a gigabyte aorus z390 board. The z390 aorus boards have the best overclocking out of all the z390 boards.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I picked that cooler just so pcpartpicker would stop yelling at me that the i7-9700k doesn't come with a cooler. I'll most likely get a air cooler as I'm still hesitant about the AIO cause I'm worried about it leaking and killing my stuff. I'm not planning on over clocking any time soon since I haven't been playing very many pc games. When I do OC I'm going to see about getting a liquid cooling system, either AIO or custom.

I don't really need the 5.2" slots, I'm just trying to find a case that I like the look of, and maybe match parts. I want to make sure that I have enough air flow since I'm going to get an air cooler and extra fans. I'm still on the fence about tempered glass, I'm not looking for it specifically but I wouldn't turn it down, except for the cases that have glass on every side of the case, I know I don't want that. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($409.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($243.58 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($359.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($108.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1212.49

Motherboard Change:

The VRM is much better on the Gigabyte board when compared to that of the one present on ASUS'. 

6j8i71dbrxv11.png

Memory Change:

There are a large number of vendors to buy kits from such as G.Skill, Crucial, Corsair, Team, Team Vulcan, and Kingston but there are very few memory manufacturing companies. 

Memory modules consist of two pieces:

• DRAM Semiconductor Chips (Responsible for storing data) 
  • Printed Circuit Board (Connects the memory chips to the rest of the computer)

There are only a handful of semiconductor manufacturers with the capability to produce DRAM chips, and they are Micron (Crucial), Samsung, and Hynix.

The chips on this kit are Samsung B-Die which is rated for 3200MHz at 14-14-14-34-1T at 1.35v.

This is the best possible choice for systems using both an Intel and AMD.

I, as someone looking to squeeze every last drop of performance out of my system, would go for this more expensive kit but it's not particularly necessary if you don't feel like spending the extra cash. 

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K [Delidded | Frequency: 5.1GHz | vCore: 1.45v - Fuck Intel | Cache: 4800MHz | VCCIO: 1.175 | SA: 1.20]

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti ARMOR 11G OC [Core: 2113MHz | Memory: + 1000MHz | Voltage: 1.181v | XOC BIOS]

RAM: TEAM GROUP DARK PRO EDITION [Capacity: 16GB - 8GB x 2 | Frequency: 3866MHz | Timings: 16-16-16-36]

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z370-A

PSU: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra 1000W

Case: Fractal S2 Meshify

CPU Block: EK Velocity | GPU Block: EK-FC1080 GTX Ti TF6 Radiators: x2 HWLabs SR2 360MM  Pump / Res: EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Fans: x6 Noctua NF-F12

Primary Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz [Refresh Rate: 165Hz | Resolution: 2560 x 1440]

Secondary Monitor: ASUS VG248QE [Refresh Rate: 144Hz | Resolution: 1920 x 1080]

UPS: APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA [Online | Double-Conversion]

Benchmarks: 3DMark TimeSpy - First [1 out of 8571]

@_Aontaigh_ What would the difference in VRM show up as on my pc? Would it be very noticeable since I'm not overclocking my pc? I couldn't find the memory for sale anywhere.

Also I think I've picked my build, I'm still looking at other MB options since I've been starring at cases for the last two day..

If you're not overclocking, save and get an i7 8700 and an H370 motherboard. The all core turbo of the 8700 vs 8700k is the same, 4.3.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm not overclocking when I setup the pc, but I plan on OCing when I get new graphics cards and an AIO water cooler later this year. I also was getting a z390 board so if Intel makes more 9th cpus that are accurately good (i7-9700k being new but about on par with the i7-8700k).