My Friend Has a Question

So my friend was doing some work on his PC, and thought it was off. He took the RAM out, and replaced it with new sticks.

He went to turn on the PC when he realized it was sleeping the whole time. Now his system won't boot with any sticks of RAM.

Did he fry something?

Systems:

Main Gaming:                                                        Windows XP:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Asus RX 580 OC                                                     1GB DDR2

Patriot Viper DDR4 8GB                                         Asus Motherboard

Asus ROG B450-I                                                   Dell 300W

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Gigabyte Ultra Durable                                           500MB RAM

Rosewill Glacier 600W                                           Soundblaster 16

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

AMD Phenom x4 850                                          Key:

Kukete A78                                                          Motherboard

Kingston 4GB DDR3                                            Memory

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

Other Gaming:                                                    Sound Card

Ryzen 5 2600                                                       Processor

Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

3 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

So my friend was doing some work on his PC, and thought it was off. He took the RAM out, and replaced it with new sticks.

He went to turn on the PC when he realized it was sleeping the whole time. Now his system won't boot with any sticks of RAM.

Did he fry something?

He might have fried the sockets the sticks go into. Were all the ram slots populated? If not he can always try using the other slots.

Edit: He also could have fried the motherboard and/or Ram sticks that were in there.

Edit 2: I've only ever seen once in a server where RAM was hot swappable (Keep in mind Windows doesn't support the feature so likely even if it did it still wouldn't be wise.) There is electricity that runs across the pins and connector of the memory module so it would have likely fried it.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, emosun said:

he'll have to at least reset the bios on the board

He will be VERY lucky if that's all he has to do. The most likely scenario is that it's toast.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Just now, Psybadek said:

He will be VERY lucky if that's all he has to do. The most likely scenario is that it's toast.

an important part about diagnostics.....

.... is not immediately jumping to the conclusion that its fried and offering zero solutions or answers as if you're paid on commision for selling new products like an apple store.

I'll help him to reset the BIOS. If that doesn't work, then probably fried

Systems:

Ryzen 5 2600                                                               Intel Pentium 3

Corsair CX 450                                                       ATI Rage 128 Fury Pro

FreeNAS Server:                                                   Windows 98/95 duel boot:

I5 3400k                                                                  Pentium Pro

Patriot DDR3 8GB                                                  HP Vectra motherboard 

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Dell 500W                                                            Power Supply

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

1 minute ago, emosun said:

an important part about diagnostics.....

.... is not immediately jumping to the conclusion that its fried and offering zero solutions or answers as if you're paid on commision for selling new products like an apple store.

Well obviously that's the case but in this case in knowing how it works it's safe to presume the outcome. Not many cases where you pull ram out of a motherboard while it's receiving power (even residual power can do it) results in the Ram or motherboard not being fried. It's not impossible but not many options, he's also stated the new memory still doesnt have the pc boot up. They've also done the diagnosing when trying the new and old ram again with no difference

Just now, Psybadek said:

Well obviously that's the case but in this case in knowing how it works it's safe to presume the outcome. Not many cases where you pull ram out of a motherboard while it's receiving power (even residual power can do it) results in the Ram or motherboard not being fried. It's not impossible but not many options, he's also stated the new memory still doesnt have the pc boot up. They've also done the diagnosing when trying the new and old ram again with no difference

The pc was in sleep mode, so are the pins receiving power?

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

Just now, BLLDoesTech said:

Yes they will still be receiving power

12 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

Did he fry something?

take ram out to see for burn marks.

rams do smoke

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

an yet you have no idea if the firmware was ever reset

in your mind , a machines firmware will handle part swaps without a reset even during sleep mode.

seeing as you still offered no options maybe comment when you have something to offer the op other than "it's broke"

1 minute ago, emosun said:

an yet you have no idea if the firmware was ever reset

in your mind , a machines firmware will handle part swaps without a reset even during sleep mode.

seeing as you still offered no options maybe comment when you have something to offer the op other than "it's broke"

I don't need to know if the firmware was reset. A BIOS flash won't fix the issue. When you're dealing with electricity even with a PC in sleep/hibernation mode pulling out modules have a high chance of damaging the module or the logic board it's plugged into.

Also I did offer other suggestions. I did suggest he can try other DIMM slots seeing as he could have only damaged the DIMM slots that sticks were plugged into. Something you can do without requiring to do without replacing the whole board if you don't need all slots populated.

2 minutes ago, Psybadek said:

I don't need to know if the firmware was reset. A BIOS flash won't fix the issue. When you're dealing with electricity even with a PC in sleep/hibernation mode pulling out modules have a high chance of damaging the module or the logic board it's plugged into.

Also I did offer other suggestions. I did suggest he can try other DIMM slots seeing as he could have only damaged the DIMM slots that sticks were plugged into. Something you can do without requiring to do without replacing the whole board if you don't need all slots populated.

k don't need you to mansplain electricity to me like i'm somehow new to computers, not your wife

Just now, emosun said:

k don't need you to mansplain electricity to me like i'm somehow new to computers, not your wife

Don't tell me what's in my mind then. I'm not new to computers either and have been servicing them for the majority of my career.

1 minute ago, Psybadek said:

I'm not new to computers either and have been servicing them for the majority of my career.

that would explain the "to lazy to figure it out" mentality

19 minutes ago, BLLDoesTech said:

Reset the CMOS on the motherboard and try with only 1 stick 1st...let us know how it goes

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It's kind of a gamble with pulling out RAM sticks while the computer is on. I killed a motherboard (DDR3) by doing that, but on an older DDR2 system I could do it all day, and it just made a pretty light show on the monitor.

It is quite possible something was damaged, and I would clear the CMOS and try again. If that doesn't work, try putting the modules in another system to see if they work. Worst case scenario either the RAM or motherboard is damaged. Maybe ask him to try @Psybadek  or @i_build_nanosuits's ideas, might as well do everything possible to see if something is in fact dead.

CPU: I9-7900X RAM: 64GB (16X4) DDR4-2933 GPU: RTX 3080 MOBO: ASUS X299 Deluxe PSU: Corsair RM850 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Case: Corsair iCUE 465X Cooler: Corsair 280 AIO

13 minutes ago, Opencircuit74 said:

It's kind of a gamble with pulling out RAM sticks while the computer is on. I killed a motherboard (DDR3) by doing that, but on an older DDR2 system I could do it all day, and it just made a pretty light show on the monitor.

It is quite possible something was damaged, and I would clear the CMOS and try again. If that doesn't work, try putting the modules in another system to see if they work. Worst case scenario either the RAM or motherboard is damaged. Maybe ask him to try @Psybadek  or @i_build_nanosuits's ideas, might as well do everything possible to see if something is in fact dead.

You can also test the ram in another rig and do a memtest to make sure the sticks are good as well

@Psybadek

I would like to let you know you were wrong. Nothing was fried.

Bios flash worked like @emosun suggested

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2

10 hours ago, emosun said:

he'll have to at least reset the bios on the board

Thanks, this worked, only one old stick of RAM was fried

Systems:

Matrox Mystique

Random PC:                                                         

Graphics Card

MSI 1050 OC

Hyper-X 16GB DDR4

EVGA 750 B2