Is Snapdragon 636 considered archaic?

columbusohio

Hi there, I'm torn apart about whether to get the Xiaomi Mi 8 or the Xiaomi Mi Max 3. I love phones with huge screens, the larger the better. But the drawback is that the mi max 3 is equipped with a Snapdragon 636 processor and the Xiaomi mi 8 is equipped with the latest Snapdragon 845 processor. Will the snapdragon 636 processor provide subpar performance in daily tasks such as high speed swapping between apps and youtube watching and rapid changes and usage of apps such as Facebook messenger and youtube and other apps?

3 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

NO, it's incredibly fast considering the price and IIRC it's as fast as the 835/845, and the battery life should be better

So I'd go for the 636, you won't see any difference in performance and you'll save money

But if you look at Geek bench android benchmarks, the xiaomi mi 8 scored 2292 and the redmi note 5 pro (which also uses a 636 processor) scored a paltry 1327! The difference is nearly 73%! Where is this huge score difference going to manifest in real life performances though?

15 minutes ago, columbusohio said:

But if you look at Geek bench android benchmarks, the xiaomi mi 8 scored 2292 and the redmi note 5 pro (which also uses a 636 processor) scored a paltry 1327! The difference is nearly 73%! Where is this huge score difference going to manifest in real life performances though?

Nothing in the phone space uses that performance, what good is your app if your audience is limited to only people that have current gen flagship devices?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I've got the mi max 2 and the 625 is actually fine for me. It'll handle 4k and 1440p60 video playback, and phone responsiveness is good.

I wouldn't buy the max 3 until custom roms surface though. MIUI is garbage.

26 minutes ago, columbusohio said:

If you want a smart phone that is just a smart phone it does not make a difference.  In fact many of the most use and newest apps are now progressive web apps that don't ask much more than being able to run Chrome at a nice clip.   Where the most powerful ARM processors come in handy is on phones that are meant to be ultra-mobile productivity devices. i.e. Samsung Note series.   I do believe there are even Windows based PC's built around Arm 845 or similar.

1 hour ago, Uttamattamakin said:

If you want a smart phone that is just a smart phone it does not make a difference.  In fact many of the most use and newest apps are now progressive web apps that don't ask much more than being able to run Chrome at a nice clip.   Where the most powerful ARM processors come in handy is on phones that are meant to be ultra-mobile productivity devices. i.e. Samsung Note series.   I do believe there are even Windows based PC's built around Arm 845 or similar.

Don’t forget about games like Fortnite too!

Hi there, Uh I am fascinated with Xiaomi recently and also want a massive phone. Huawei Mate 20x is 700 bucks which is too expensive for me. The Xiaomi Mi Max 3 has 2 versions, one is the Global Version, the other is the CN version with global rom. The latter is less expensive than the former. Am I sacrificing anything if I purchased the CN version of Mi Max 3 with global rom? Do both of them support an equal number of LTE bands? Any software update eligibility differences?