If I am using a Nvidia GPU do I still get benefits from purchasing a 144Hz monitor?

mrchow19910319
Go to solution Solved by mxk,

I assume you know how free/g sync works, but I'll lay it out. There's no benefits to picking one besides the fact that g sync is cheaper.

All thats happening is that the monitors are syncing up the refresh rate (Hz) with your in-game FPS, so it's always smooth.

G-sync and freesync are pretty much the same, and plus, there's no reason to get g-sync anymore. Nvidia, just last monday, released drivers making their 10 and 20 series (rtx and gtx 10 series) cards compatible with freesync.

I can tell you first hand that it works. My freesync monitor is working with my GTX 1070Ti, and it's all butter smooth on my 144hz monitor. 

There's a budget AOC brand 1080p monitor that has freesync and 144hz. It's verified by nvidia to work well with their cards.

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2590FX-Framless-1920x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B07D377Q6D

I am using a GTX1060, and I may wanna buy a 144Hz monitor.

Do I have to get the G Sync one? the G sync ones is a lot more expensive than free sync ones.

If I do get the free sync one, does it still gonna be smoother than 60Hz monitor?? 

I am kind of confused...

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

I assume you know how free/g sync works, but I'll lay it out. There's no benefits to picking one besides the fact that g sync is cheaper.

All thats happening is that the monitors are syncing up the refresh rate (Hz) with your in-game FPS, so it's always smooth.

G-sync and freesync are pretty much the same, and plus, there's no reason to get g-sync anymore. Nvidia, just last monday, released drivers making their 10 and 20 series (rtx and gtx 10 series) cards compatible with freesync.

I can tell you first hand that it works. My freesync monitor is working with my GTX 1070Ti, and it's all butter smooth on my 144hz monitor. 

There's a budget AOC brand 1080p monitor that has freesync and 144hz. It's verified by nvidia to work well with their cards.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Keep in mind though, to use freesync monitors with your 1060, you have to update your drivers to version 417.71 and then be using windows 10.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

I see. Thanks!

Just now, mxk. said:

Keep in mind though, to use freesync monitors with your 1060, you have to update your drivers to version 417.71 and then be using windows 7.

what? why windows 7??

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

what? why windows 7??

very very bad typo. Windows 10. I had to change to windows 10 to get it working, I was thinking "don't use windows 7" in my head and typed it out on accident.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

6 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I am using a GTX1060, and I may wanna buy a 144Hz monitor.

Do I have to get the G Sync one? the G sync ones is a lot more expensive than free sync ones.

If I do get the free sync one, does it still gonna be smoother than 60Hz monitor?? 

I am kind of confused...

Freesync should work on the GTX1060 with the latest update, however, as Linus states in his video, G-Sync should have the best compatibility and the smoothest experience. It's the same reason apps on iOS are normally faster than the ones on Android, because G-Sync can focus on making their monitors work better on a specific device than trying to get it to work on every device.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

3 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Freesync should work on the GTX1060 with the latest update, however, as Linus states in his video, G-Sync should have the best compatibility and the smoothest experience. It's the same reason apps on iOS are normally faster than the ones on Android, because G-Sync can focus on making their monitors work better on a specific device than trying to get it to work on every device.

Though, if he gets a verified monitor that should work really well, I would think. Obviously g sync will be better because it's the physical module, but if nvidia tests the monitors you think it would be close to the real thing. My "non verified" Asus mg248 monitor works great with my card, nvidia is bullshitting consumers like usual..

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Though, if he gets a verified monitor that should work really well, I would think. Obviously g sync will be better because it's the physical module, but if nvidia tests the monitors you think it would be close to the real thing. My "non verified" Asus mg248 monitor works great with my card, nvidia is bullshitting consumers like usual..

Yeah, they do that.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

1 minute ago, ImAlsoRan said:

Yeah, they do that.

"Just buy it" 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra