Help spilled tea on my keyboard ?

Go to solution Solved by mxk,
Just now, backen6971 said:

Good call. I might get crazy with a bottle of isopropyl instead if thats the case. 

Look into switch cleaning. You could even go to the r/mechanicalkeyboard subreddit. They might get you for spilling tea and having a gaming keyboard, but they'll probably have some great suggestions for cleaning.

Hey guys. This is my first post been a ltt subscriber on youtube for over a year and figured id use the forum for the first time. 

Keyboard: corsair k70 rapid fire

so i spilled a cup of tea on my keyboard. It had some lemon juice in it, no sugar or milk. The computer was on and after the spill I immediately went to unplug it from behind the tower. As i was unplugging it it apeared to be hitting a bunch of keys at once. It ended up at the ctrl alt delete window when i unplugged it. 

I think everything will work once its back together but i disassembled it down to the frame and pcb. Would it be okay to wash it in the tub and let it dry for a week? Is it ok to get water inside the cherry mx switches? I inverted the board to drain the tea after the spill which is why i think the tea might have gotten in the switches and i want to wash it out. Is this a bad idea? I dont want to ruin all the switches since i think only a few might have been affected. But i also want to clean it and make it like new again since it is pretty dirty and i want to take advantage of having my keyboard disassembled lol. Thanks in advance for your suggestions 

Using water introduces rust, some rubbing alcohol is better.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The Cherry switches have metal in them so you probably don't want to get it with water.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

11 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Using water introduces rust, some rubbing alcohol is better.

Do you think it will have a hard time evaporating out of the switches? I could inject 91% rubbing alcohol directly into the switch with a syringe i suppose..  i have 3ml and 15ml syringes in a tool kit 

11 minutes ago, mxk. said:

The Cherry switches have metal in them so you probably don't want to get it with water.

Good call. I might get crazy with a bottle of isopropyl instead if thats the case. 

Just now, backen6971 said:

Look into switch cleaning. You could even go to the r/mechanicalkeyboard subreddit. They might get you for spilling tea and having a gaming keyboard, but they'll probably have some great suggestions for cleaning.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu