Can You Game using RX470 mining edition(or other mining edition amd gpu)? Yes you can

I want to say thank to @GabenJr for his info that makes this thread possible.

Disclaimer

I don't hold responsibility, for loss of money to buy used mining cards and or the card doesn't work as intended. Because in my country 60 USD is huge sum of money.

Backgrounds

I got broken Sapphire Nitro RX 470 8gb Mining Edition without hdmi, dvi or any other output, from ones of my client. The card has low hashrate. And would make the windows blue screen after some mining session. My client said that maybe there's something wrong with card, either card bios or it's components. I bring the card back home, flash the card with it's original bios rom.

After watch LTT videos about gaming on Nvidia p106-100. I try to game with my mining card. It's runs smoothly on rise of tomb rider, and some 3d application that i try.

Here is how I game in RX 470 mining edition.

Software that I use

1. AtiFlash, to flash card bios to original bios.

2. Atimdag patcher, if you couldn't find the original bios or if you think that reflash old bios is not good idea.

3. Newest Amd adrenalin driver

4. Windows 10 ver.1803 

My setting

- Intel Core i5 4670k

- 1150 motherboard

- 8gb of ddr3 ram

- FSP hexa 600 watts

- Sapphire Nitro RX 470 8gb Mining Edition

Step

1. Do check if your motherboard has onboard igpu and your CPU support IGPU or internal graphic adapter. And set Internal graphic adapter as main display on your bios

2. Install AMD driver and makes sure that your card is detected properly in Device manager

3. Install Internal graphic driver.

4. Right click on desktop and select display setting -> Display -> Graphic Settings. Choose an app to set preference choose classic app.

Browse.

How to find the game app or 3d app for examples final fantasy benchmark

1.  Run final fantasy benchmark.

2. Open task manager

3. Right click on Final Fantasy benchmark process and select open file location. And there you find the app that you need to add in Graphic settings.

(Sorry for my bad english, I hope this thread helps you to game on used mining edition card)

Some test

Hell yes, further reducing e-waste.

12 minutes ago, ProngsOldGuy said:

in my country 60 USD is huge sum of money

I take it then that this method of graphics card savings will be a boon in your area? Hopefully it's very helpful.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Wonder if NVFlash works with a 1060 BIOS for the card they showed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Honestly I don't know. If this help reduce e waste here in my country. Because there's not much people use gaming pc (lot of us is too poor to buy PC). But I hope this thread could help you, that have limited budget for gaming PC. To find some alternative.

Test superposition. Sory I can't upload the video files

IMG_20190117_225932.jpg

Good to know.

Got many mining cards offered around $50 here.

I wonder if i can use this method in crossfire, so i can use it to support my main RX card.

Since you still have the card, can you test it to use the output from another card?

The p106 method only allowed using it with igpu.

Also i wonder if we can just solder a hdmi / displayport to make it work?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Good to know.

Got many mining cards offered around $50 here.

I wonder if i can use this method in crossfire, so i can use it to support my main RX card.

Since you still have the card, can you test it to use the output from another card?

The p106 method only allowed using it with igpu.

Also i wonder if we can just solder a hdmi / displayport to make it work?

I plan to use weaker gt220 or HD 5450 card. And set the RX 470 as high performance GPU. You can only crossfire with other mining card same Rx 470 4gb or 8gb. They have auto crossfire built in (which is very annoying for miners) I'll post my finding tomorrow.

For second question yes you can. But only if you're as skillful as Louis rossman. There's lot of small AF components there.

If that's a possibility, then it would sprung a new life for that suppose to be a trashed gpu.

and if its possible to (not disabled) solder hdmi port i would get someone as good as rossman.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Testing shadow of tomb raiderIMG_20190120_125157.thumb.jpg.8d3ea8a0d3d6e3a47cb4a270a9139a96.jpg

While it got like this when I tried directX12

IMG_20190120_125648.thumb.jpg.304b2176a251979de4d15c7bf46676ea.jpg

On 1/18/2019 at 8:51 AM, SupaKomputa said:

If that's a possibility, then it would sprung a new life for that suppose to be a trashed gpu.

and if its possible to (not disabled) solder hdmi port i would get someone as good as rossman.

If you can speak japanese :)

• 11 months later...

hi

thx for the post.

I have a question for u, does this works with Ivy bridge or not?

cuz i have the same card and a ivy bridge system, the problem i have is that i can't choose the RX 470 as the performance card!!

but i can disable the HD 4000 and start the game!

there's no other way for me to have the RX 470 handling the games!

even when i choose the pci express as the primary video card in the bios, i can't see anything from the system boot untill its in windows and it doesn't change anything, still can't choose the AMD card as the performance card.