Vista HDD in new computer

Stevoisboss
Go to solution Solved by Adorable Cat,
1 minute ago, Stevoisboss said:

Thats the problem is that it won't boot on new hardware that is known to be working.

You're trying to boot from the drive that you need the data from if I get what your saying?

I mean plug the known good OS hard drive into that optiplex and also the drive you're recovering from, then boot from the good OS hard drive. You'll be able to see the drive you need to recover data from in explorer and back it up somewhere.

If I put an old HDD running vista in a new dell optiplex will it run normally? It starts to boot and then sends me to recovery options. It will then ask to repair or boot normally which doesn't work. I need the data on the drive and I am unsure on ehat to do.

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font

17 minutes ago, Stevoisboss said:

If I put an old HDD running vista in a new dell optiplex will it run normally? It starts to boot and then sends me to recovery options. It will then ask to repair or boot normally which doesn't work. I need the data on the drive and I am unsure on ehat to do.

I've run into this problem a couple of times and the easiest solution to basically use a spare drive to install an O.S. on it and then your the drive with the important data as a secondary drive so you get a chance to grab the data from it.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

If you need the data on the drive, you could plug it into a working computer (into an extra SATA port) and boot that computer normally, then you can just access the data on the hard drive regularly.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

4 minutes ago, Adorable Cat said:

If you need the data on the drive, you could plug it into a working computer and boot that computer normally, then you can just access the data on the hard drive regularly.

Thats the problem is that it won't boot on new hardware that is known to be working.

Check out my HTPC build.

It should be able to boot off of the standard boot drive already present. Don't boot off of the Vista drive. It most likely will not work as you have experienced. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Stevoisboss said:

You're trying to boot from the drive that you need the data from if I get what your saying?

I mean plug the known good OS hard drive into that optiplex and also the drive you're recovering from, then boot from the good OS hard drive. You'll be able to see the drive you need to recover data from in explorer and back it up somewhere.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, Adorable Cat said:

Nvm I see what you are saying. It works now. Thank you so much.

Check out my HTPC build.