Compatibility for ~1700€ Gaming PC

Cocofang

Hello everyone, I am looking to get a new gaming PC but since there is a lot of money on the line I don't want to put the thing together just to have it go up in smoke because parts are incompatible.

PCPartPicker shows no issues but I am a bit skeptical:

The Motherboard doesn't list DDR4-3000 under supported RAM. Will the Memory kit still work or would I need something different? Apparently I have to enable it in Intels XMP for it to work properly (on 3000 instead of 2666) but I have yet to look into how to do that.

The Motherboard says it ONLY supports 8th Gen CPUs. The Core i7-9700K is 9th Gen. Internet shops say the 9th Gen CPU is supported. Official website also lists the i7-9700K as supported however only since BIOS P1.10. I don't know which BIOS the MoBo comes with, maybe 1.10? Do I have to update the BIOS to 1.20 provided by the official website? I have heard that updating BIOS can cause massive issues.

On the official Intel website the CPU lists DDR4-2666 as a memory type. Will it work together with the DDR4-3000 kit? If it doesn't work right out of the box, what would I need to adjust?

I am not experienced with this unfortunately. I think the power supply is sufficient for everything and the case is big enough for the motherboard, the cooler and the video card. I am mainly concerned about Mainboard+CPU+RAM compatibility, but obviously everything else should fit as well. My goal is go play at a smooth 1080p full HD. 4K is not necessary. Definitely two monitors though. The main one for gaming, the other for surfing/series or whatever in parallel.

Feedback would be very much appreciated. Also some pointers as to how I have to start setting everything up once I turn the thing on for the first time. At the very least I have an USB stick with Win10 at the ready. Cheers!

1 minute ago, Cocofang said:

The Motherboard doesn't list DDR4-3000 under supported RAM

All motherboards say that. You should still be able to reach the rated speed.

2 minutes ago, Cocofang said:

The Motherboard says it ONLY supports 8th Gen CPUs

That doesn't really make sense, the whole point of Z390 is a motherboard that has native support for 9th gen out of the box no matter what.

3 minutes ago, Cocofang said:

On the official Intel website the CPU lists DDR4-2666 as a memory type.

same story as the motherboard.

I think the power supply is sufficient for everything

Should be, see my bio for reference.

smooth 1080p full HD

Veeeeeery overkill build for that, you could absolutely do with an i5 and an RTX 2060 or even a GTX 1060 6GB for a comfortable 1080p experience at 60fps.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, Cocofang said:

PCPartPicker shows no issues but I am a bit skeptical:

Here, check out this bulid: 

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Veeeeeery overkill build for that, you could absolutely do with an i5 and an RTX 2060 or even a GTX 1060 6GB for a comfortable 1080p experience at 60fps.

The OP never said 1080p 60 FPS gaming, but he/she probably meant high refresh rate 1080p gaming. 

For the OP: Welcome to the forums!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, Geography said:

The OP never said 1080p 60 FPS gaming, he/she might've meant high refresh rate 1080p gaming. 

That's why decided to specify, to see if there was a higher performance target.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am relieved to hear that all the parts can work together.

Yes, I am thinking about 1080p and 120 or 144 refresh rate. Either way I like to have breathing room so my hardware is up to the task even when I have 50 browser tabs open on the second monitor and a video running while playing on the main monitor.

@Geography - The motherboard you used in the build is much more expensive. Do you think the one I picked might run into some issues? Also the PSU is more powerful. In which ways would a PC start to act up if the power isn't enough? Would it randomly shut down?