12gb's of ddr3 installed, 8gb showing

Kdog

Heyo, I have 12gb's of ddr3 running at 1600mhz and only 8gb seems to be showing up. My CPU is a core i7 970 and my mobo is a Dell 05DN3X. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? It seemed to start when I switched from an HDD to my new SSD. 

"Kieran just stole my girl!" - No-one

Discord: Kdog#7258

27 minutes ago, Kdog said:

Heyo, I have 12gb's of ddr3 running at 1600mhz and only 8gb seems to be showing up. My CPU is a core i7 970 and my mobo is a Dell 05DN3X. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue? It seemed to start when I switched from an HDD to my new SSD. 

Do you have 12gb showing in the bios? assuming you've 3x4gb sticks, check if you're seeing 12gb in the bios first, if not them power down and reseat all the ram. First step is to just identify if the ram is still being detected right, it's pretty common to bump dimms

I take it all you've done is install the ssd and haven't changed anything else. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

18 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

Do you have 12gb showing in the bios? assuming you've 3x4gb sticks, check if you're seeing 12gb in the bios first, if not them power down and reseat all the ram. First step is to just identify if the ram is still being detected right, it's pretty common to bump dimms

I take it all you've done is install the ssd and haven't changed anything else. 

In the BIOS it says that I have 12gb's installed and 8 are usable. I changed the CPU a while ago but the ram showed up after and only went away when I installed the SSD.

18 hours ago, Saksham said:

flex mode enabled?

That's not an option in the BIOS, at least not one I could find. 

re-seat all the ram. maybe its not plugged in correctly. if this is a laptop and it still doesnt work, its quite likely that dell has locked the bios so only the original ram will work

1 minute ago, Saksham said:

re-seat all the ram. maybe its not plugged in correctly. if this is a laptop and it still doesnt work, its quite likely that dell has locked the bios so only the original ram will work

I reseated all the ram. It's a desktop but before I reinstalled the ssd I saw all the ram. So I know it works. 

With to much overclocking it can shutout too, maybe to much volts and load.... Managed with 18gb's to startup  2 once … i was so relieved that it worked again after the reboot and returning to stock values

1 hour ago, Kdog said:

In the BIOS it says that I have 12gb's installed and 8 are usable. I changed the CPU a while ago but the ram showed up after and only went away when I installed the SSD.

Alright, give me a minute to look up some stuff, but I'm about to head out into the mountains for  3-4 days so might not reply.

First things, don't look for flexmode, its a waste of time, your board is triple chanel, with 3 sticks thats just stupid advice and its not applicable atm. no point doing a bios update as of yet, if it worked before, a bios update most likely won't help. so two questions

-what cpu has it got?

-is windows showing 3 dimms installed

EDIT: also while we're at it, throw a picture of how you've got the ram installed, needs to be in the right channels as well (should be 3 red dimm slots on your board 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

Alright, give me a minute to look up some stuff, but I'm about to head out into the mountains for  3-4 days so might not reply.

First things, don't look for flexmode, its a waste of time, your board is triple chanel, with 3 sticks thats just stupid advice and its not applicable atm. no point doing a bios update as of yet, if it worked before, a bios update most likely won't help. so two questions

-what cpu has it got?

-is windows showing 3 dimms installed

EDIT: also while we're at it, throw a picture of how you've got the ram installed, needs to be in the right channels as well (should be 3 red dimm slots on your board 

I have an i7 970 in the socket right now. I actually have 6 2gig dims installed because the sticks it came installed with were 2gb each and it was easier to add onto it as opposed to replacing with 4gb sticks. Here are CPU-Z photos of the CPU, Mainboard, and Memory. In that order. Thank you so much for all the help. Its been annoying me for a couple weeks now. 

P.S. In CPU-Z it shows 12gb of ram but in system and task manager, it only shows 8. 

cpuz1.PNG

cpuz2.PNG

cpuz3.PNG

2 hours ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

With to much overclocking it can shutout too, maybe to much volts and load.... Managed with 18gb's to startup  2 once … i was so relieved that it worked again after the reboot and returning to stock values

I don't have it overclocked because the mobo doesn't support it. 

2 hours ago, Saksham said:

try a bios update

There are no updates for it past what I have on it now.

8 hours ago, Kdog said:

I don't have it overclocked because the mobo doesn't support it. 

Oke it was just an example of what can happen with your ram.... I also would like to report that i had a lot of trouble with letting show task manager the right p.c. configuration… Maybe you should try and dubblecheck it with speccy, next to gpuz, to see if your ram values are correctly shown there too…. Your system is an oldie soo lots of things can be wrong or nearing the end of their lifetime

1 minute ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Oke it was just an example of what can happen with your ram.... I also would like to report that i had a lot of trouble with letting show task manager the right p.c. configuration… Maybe you should try and dubblecheck it with speccy, next to gpuz, to see if your ram values are correctly shown there too…. Your system is an oldie soo lots of things can be wrong or nearing the end of their lifetime

CPU-Z shows 12gb of ram but under system info it only says 8gb of Installed Physical Memory. 

On 1/10/2019 at 9:27 PM, Kdog said:

CPU-Z shows 12gb of ram but under system info it only says 8gb of Installed Physical Memory. 

Ok so we've limited the issues to being os related. not system or bios related which is good. Sometimes with updates and auto reconfigures windows forgets things (reasonably rare but happens occasionally with x58 era gear)

Next let's try to easy configuration options, we're going to tell Windows to use all available ram. Got to;

-Run (or type in the search box win8/10

-type; msconfig

-in this application go to >Boot tab > advanced options (in boot tab). Now check the box for maximum memory.

-the memory box should auto fill with something around 12288, don't change any other settings then OK, apply, when prompted to reboot reboot the system.

Check task manager and post an image of the memory section and well see if that's helped. 

msconfig.png.502928234ded3242ef33eb2753ae516e.png

4 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

Ok so we've limited the issues to being os related. not system or bios related which is good. Sometimes with updates and auto reconfigures windows forgets things (reasonably rare but happens occasionally with x58 era gear)

Next let's try to easy configuration options, we're going to tell Windows to use all available ram. Got to;

-Run (or type in the search box win8/10

-type; msconfig

-in this application go to >Boot tab > advanced options (in boot tab). Now check the box for maximum memory.

-the memory box should auto fill with something around 12288, don't change any other settings then OK, apply, when prompted to reboot reboot the system.

Check task manager and post an image of the memory section and well see if that's helped. 

msconfig.png.502928234ded3242ef33eb2753ae516e.png

It doesn't show 12gb's of ram but only 8192. That's why this is all so confusing to me. 

12 minutes ago, Kdog said:

It doesn't show 12gb's of ram but only 8192. That's why this is all so confusing to me. 

Clock your ram at 1066 (ie default support for your i7) and see what difference if any it makes. Post a picture of your memory tab in task manager as well. 

Have a read through this as well, http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=19200 this is a somewhat common issue with x58 systems. Sometimes, booting three times (adding 1 stick of ram each time) fixes the problem, or reseating the cpu. I'm reluctant to think these two options will work, as its a most likely a windows/os issue software side. Fresh install is also an option. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2019 at 5:06 AM, it_dont_work said:

Clock your ram at 1066 (ie default support for your i7) and see what difference if any it makes. Post a picture of your memory tab in task manager as well. 

Have a read through this as well, http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=19200 this is a somewhat common issue with x58 systems. Sometimes, booting three times (adding 1 stick of ram each time) fixes the problem, or reseating the cpu. I'm reluctant to think these two options will work, as its a most likely a windows/os issue software side. Fresh install is also an option. 

Just wanted to update you. I've reset windows with no changes. Still shows 8gb. At this point, I think I'll buy a new PC. This one's coming up on 11 years old so it's well past time to upgrade. Thanks for your help, though. It sucks that I wasn't able to get the final 4gb working. 

if it states 12gb installed (8gb useable) in control panel, system settings. You have checked that it is seated correctly. That particular ram stick has failed....... Ram sticks Die. Yep you need a new PC LOLZ jheeze 20+ posts to figure oot its dead

clue 1:- my machine is 11 years old

clue 2:- u have just bought a new 8gb stick after 11 years that 4 gb has done really really well................

now try booting with just 4gb installed??? bios beep code maybe? 

12 hours ago, mgrandy said:

if it states 12gb installed (8gb useable) in control panel, system settings. You have checked that it is seated correctly. That particular ram stick has failed....... Ram sticks Die. Yep you need a new PC LOLZ jheeze 20+ posts to figure oot its dead

clue 1:- my machine is 11 years old

clue 2:- u have just bought a new 8gb stick after 11 years that 4 gb has done really really well................

now try booting with just 4gb installed??? bios beep code maybe? 

I didn't just install 8gb's. The computer came with 8gb from the factory and about 3 years ago I added another four. It's been working until I installed a new SSD. Then it only showed 8. When swapping different sticks it still only shows 8. Your response was quite hostile and unnecessary and 

" jheeze 20+ posts to figure oot its dead"

was simply not necessary. 

Shot in the dark, any onboard graphics devices that rely on shared RAM stealing your last 4 gigs? :)

2 minutes ago, Dem0072 said:

Shot in the dark, any onboard graphics devices that rely on shared RAM stealing your last 4 gigs? :)

This motherboard doesn't have any outputs on it but I suppose it's possible it's still stealing it.

On 1/9/2019 at 5:12 AM, Kdog said:

I have the same Problem with my ASUS P6T, came to the conclusion that its either a Problem of the Socket or the Board.

I didn't bother further. Sometimes it worked, but it did so less and less...

I have a couple of LGA1366 CPUs and its the same with all of them...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"