Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building some office PCs

I need to build 5-6 pcs for office use (web use, email, and microsoft word mostly, nothing heavy) with a relatively low budget ($500-600 each).

 

CPU: Ryzen 2400G

Motherboard: Asus B450-F

Memory: 16gb Corsair DDR4 3000

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250gb

PSU: I'll reuse the old ones unless they turn out to be quite bad/old

Case: Reuse

 

My reasons for choosing each part are as follows:

CPU: Excellent integrated graphics and better longevity than Ryzen 3.

Motherboard: I know cheaper boards exist but I have had excellent experience with this line of boards and they don't feel "cheap" like sub $100 boards.

Memory: 8gb is too little for future proofing and being able to dedicate ram to the integrated graphics, and 3000 mhz will help keep speed the integrated graphics.

Storage: NVME m.2 is unnecessary for speed but keeps the builds cleaner and is quite cheap now.

 

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

 

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

 

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good to me overall. Your reasoning for each part is good enough. I would go ahead a spring for new PSUs though, unless you can verify that what you have now is neither old nor crap. I’d go with a 2.5” SSD just for cheaper/more local storage, but again that’s up to you.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

 

[Under Construction]

 

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

 

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

 

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the idea of getting paid to build PCs is cool and all, but that seems like overkill for office use.  

 

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-310S-Quad-Core-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B01MYZFBP2/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1546985888&sr=1-16&keywords=ssd

How about a quad pentium and a warranty for $500?

You can add more RAM if they need it later (they don't need it now).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, those pcs are gonna be ripping trough spreadsheets!

I hope you will be doing a local windows install and not one of those enterprise, login on every pc windows installs.

They tend to be very slow.

I have to agree with cereal5, have a look if the psus are not crappy/old and you should have some very fast office pcs

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just thinking... you're doing just plain office work with this, right? than this sould be hella overkill... i would personally make some changes to make them a bit cheaper personally...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Buys the nicest b350 mother board really only meant for overclocking for office pcs. Ok I guess. Nvme for storage is such a waste when you can get more ssd storage if you go sata. 256gb is tiny.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Buys the nicest b350 mother board really only meant for overclocking for office pcs. Ok I guess. Nvme for storage is such a waste when you can get more ssd storage if you go sata. 256gb is tiny.    

That's why I'm looking for input. :P Though to be fair, it's only maybe a $40 difference in motherboard price to get a cheap one.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

 

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

 

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, ThatFlashCat said:

That's why I'm looking for input. :P Though to be fair, it's only maybe a $40 difference in motherboard price to get a cheap one.

I would get a 80 dollar one. That's 100 bucks if you are buying 5 of them. It's more about it being more expensive for no benefit. Spending more money just because it isn't alot more doesn't make sense if you don't get some kind of return on the extra money spent. You won't get any beinfit with the asus board over a decent 80 dollar board. Also I would go 400 series chipset tbh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

also i see in your bullet points you mention the graphics twice but again this is an office pc , where do the graphics that aren't 2d come in

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I need to build 5-6 pcs for office use (web use, email, and microsoft word mostly, nothing heavy) with a relatively low budget ($500-600 each).

 

CPU: Ryzen 2400G

Motherboard: Asus B450-F

Memory: 16gb Corsair DDR4 3000

Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250gb

PSU: I'll reuse the old ones unless they turn out to be quite bad/old

Case: Reuse

 

My reasons for choosing each part are as follows:

CPU: Excellent integrated graphics and better longevity than Ryzen 3.

Motherboard: I know cheaper boards exist but I have had excellent experience with this line of boards and they don't feel "cheap" like sub $100 boards.

Memory: 8gb is too little for future proofing and being able to dedicate ram to the integrated graphics, and 3000 mhz will help keep speed the integrated graphics.

Storage: NVME m.2 is unnecessary for speed but keeps the builds cleaner and is quite cheap now.

 

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated.

If you're doing nothing heavy why not a 200GE for the processor?  Or the 2200G more more horsepower?

 

Also since it's an Office PC, why an OC-capable board?  You usually don't OC Office PCs IMHO.  Shouldn't an A320-based board suffice for an Office build?

 

One other thing, have you explored going with an Intel Pentium G-series build?  It could be a lot cheaper.

 

 

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest following what others in this thread have said. These machines are fairly overkill for an office environment, especially with the use cases listed. Something like a 2200g makes more sense, probably going down to 8gb of memory as well. Motherboard is also something I would downgrade to a cheaper chip set. If there are retailers like Micro Center nearby then a really good deal can be had on a lot of these parts. Otherwise a pre-built is a MUCH better decision business wise. Hope this helped!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

My bad guys, I should have clarified this better. :P I'm rebuilding the computers at my local church so it's different than a "business" setting. Most of the time the usage will be basic, but I want the computers to be capable of occasional heavier use (say, a pastor edits a video sometimes) and last quite some time. The current PCs have amd FX 4100 processors from 2012 if that indicates anything... In short, it's more of an "update" cycle along with moving to windows 10 from 7 than anything else.

4 hours ago, emosun said:

im not seeing where the 16gb of ram usage comes in

The pcs have 8gb currently and some memory will be lost to the graphics. 16gb will help with longevity.

 

3 hours ago, grss1982 said:

If you're doing nothing heavy why not a 200GE for the processor?  Or the 2200G more more horsepower?

 

Also since it's an Office PC, why an OC-capable board?  You usually don't OC Office PCs IMHO.  Shouldn't an A320-based board suffice for an Office build?

 

One other thing, have you explored going with an Intel Pentium G-series build?  It could be a lot cheaper.

 

 

I considered the 2200G and I might go there over the 2400G. I may also overclock the processors at some point to give them a boost so an OC capable board would be beneficial. I'll be involved with the upkeep of these pcs so it's not like I'm just handing them off to someone.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

 

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

 

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×