Converting old server into gaming capable pc

I have acquired an old server PC for free, and would like to use it as a gaming capable PC. Here are the components, then I'll list my two ideas: 

Lenovo ThinkServer TS150

Intel Xeon e3-1270 v5 quad core @ 3.6ghz

EVGA GeForce 1060 superclocked 6gb single fan

Lenovo branded ram- 32gb of ECC 2133 mhz ddr4 

EVGA power supply 430 watts 80 plus cert.

I've been using the server PC with windows 10 after yanking the graphics card out of my older computer, but anytime I turn the computer off it doesn't want to boot windows backup without connecting it to a 4k TV (no idea why this is happening) and it is getting to be cumbersome. 

I would like to just buy a case and motherboard but I don't know if I can use a standard motherboard and case with this set of hardware. My biggest concern is getting the ram and processor into a build because these are quite expensive parts and I've gotten them for free, and they're leaps and bounds better than my previous set up. 

So does anyone know if I'll be able to buy a semi-standard motherboard and use it to build my dream high mid-range desktop on the cheap? Thanks for any the community could give. 

Tl;dr Will my server CPU and ram work on a standard motherboard?

It seems to be a normal lga 1155 chip but i would suggest getting a motherboard with ECC support as you never know if ecc will work on a standard board. The rest should be fine.

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

3 minutes ago, mcraddict671 said:

without connecting it to a 4k TV

Have you tried to use a false resolution in nvidia control panel? Or is it a specific TV?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

It seems from the images Ive looked at, to be a standard MATX motherboard, just a little wider. I would probably guess it will be fine in a standard case, the only thing I would think about is internal width, which might be an issue, so I would suggest getting a case without any front bays.

I wasn't sure if it was atx or matx, so thank you for clarifying that for me. Honestly, this will ne my first official PC build and just want to ditch it's current motherboard because it lacks a lot of features since it was just for a server. According to the internet that CPU is FCLGA1151, but I have no idea if that means it will fit into a standard LGA1151 motherboard, or if it's going to play nice with the ram. 

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

ecc ram will not work on consumer grade mobo's (from what i know)

My local microcenter listed some mobos as being supported with ecc, but they're typically at the 200+ price point. 

11 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

It seems to be a normal lga 1155 chip but i would suggest getting a motherboard with ECC support as you never know if ecc will work on a standard board. The rest should be fine.

So you think it should work fine with a standard lga1151 mobo as long as it supports ecc memory? I've read some posts on the internet saying a chip may fit into the socket, but whether or not it works is up in the air. I've never took a CPU out of its socket to put into another computer so this is kind of all new to me. 

8 minutes ago, mcraddict671 said:

So you think it should work fine with a standard lga1151 mobo as long as it supports ecc memory? I've read some posts on the internet saying a chip may fit into the socket, but whether or not it works is up in the air. I've never took a CPU out of its socket to put into another computer so this is kind of all new to me. 

Its a shot in the dark honestly when it comes to server chips

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

29 minutes ago, mcraddict671 said:

Will my server CPU and ram work on a standard motherboard?

If the board you are considering supports a Xeon, chances are it'll support the ECC RAM, as Xeon systems want ECC to begin with.

My question for you is this, however:

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but why do you want to buy a new mobo, just to re-use the existing CPU and RAM? You wouldn't be gaining anything....

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If the board you are considering supports a Xeon, chances are it'll support the ECC RAM, as Xeon systems want ECC to begin with.

My question for you is this, however:

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but why do you want to buy a new mobo, just to re-use the existing CPU and RAM? You wouldn't be gaining anything....

When I shut the computer off it won't boot back up into windows. It just boots to a screen with a Lenovo banner and text below saying Preparing automatic repair... Hooking it up to a 4k resolution TV is the only thing that seems to make it reboot into windows. Not sure if it's the graphics card causing this or something else unrelated, but the graphics card was working fine in my Dell optiplex. 

I wasn't sure if a new motherboard would fix this issue but I just wanted the added features of a new motherboard such as built in wifi, bluetooth, and compatibility for m.2/nvme and something slightly more aesthetically pleasing as I've just recently gotten into building modern PCs and wouldn't mind something a little flashy. 

8 hours ago, mcraddict671 said:

When I shut the computer off it won't boot back up into windows. It just boots to a screen with a Lenovo banner and text below saying Preparing automatic repair... Hooking it up to a 4k resolution TV is the only thing that seems to make it reboot into windows. Not sure if it's the graphics card causing this or something else unrelated, but the graphics card was working fine in my Dell optiplex. 

I wasn't sure if a new motherboard would fix this issue but I just wanted the added features of a new motherboard such as built in wifi, bluetooth, and compatibility for m.2/nvme and something slightly more aesthetically pleasing as I've just recently gotten into building modern PCs and wouldn't mind something a little flashy. 

Not sure you'll get the nvme stuff, as features of the board will be dictated by the socket of the CPU. It's an older socket (the CPU was released in 2015) and aimed at servers, so such things may...or may not...be available.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I had big issues getting my board to boot with a  Xeon 1225 v5 (i know not the same but similar) and ended up having to use a spare i5 7400 i had (but needed to use a 6400 to upgrage the bios!  was a pain in the butt.. I still have the Xeon with motherboard sat under my desk, trying to think of a use for it.

ok quick amswer... the problem you are experiencing is NOT hardware related. changing the motherboard will not resolve this.

basically without going into details, you will find it extremely cost in-efficient to replace the motherboard. you'd be better off selling the whole thing and replacing it with consumer grade hardware.

it is possible that the motherboard is a standard form factor as its not from IBM's "proper" server lineup, theyre a lot closer to rack mountable consumer grade PCs, so potentially you have the option to swap to a nicer looking case. you simply need to find out if the moahterboard is a standard ATX, mATX eATX etc. form factor or a bespoke IBM form factor.