i noticed something

every generation had and increase of ram by 16 times

ps1 2MB

ps2 32MB

ps3 512 MB (system 256MB video 256MB)

ps4 8GB unified ram

ps5 128GB of unified ram?

makes you think of how gaming will be 7 years from now

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

it's possible. if the next playsation will indeed have that amount of RAM, imagine how games will be by then......

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Personally I'm pretty much sharing the same opinion as Linus on this, and think that the XBone and the PS4 might be the last of it's kind and Cloud Gaming/Streaming and Smart TV implementation, especially in 7 years from now, will be so deeply integrated, that the same functionality can be done just over your TV and internet connection. So, I don't know, we'll see I guess. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I'm thinking that there won't even be a PS5. Tablets are progressing too fast for consoles to keep up.

Personally I'm pretty much sharing the same opinion as Linus on this, and think that the XBone and the PS4 might be the last of it's kind and Cloud Gaming/Streaming and Smart TV implementation, especially in 7 years from now, will be so deeply integrated, that the same functionality can be done just over your TV and internet connection. So, I don't know, we'll see I guess. 

the reason i made this post because of what Phil Spencer said

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/422533670453248000

things  might change

but what if ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Unfortunately I don't see the international lines from New Zealand to America supporting game streaming, even in ten years :(

Set up a dedicated server farm in New Zealand hosting it though? could be an idea, with fiber and VDSL finally being rolled out to the majority of people here, it could be a possibility.

#!

DDR7?

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

the reason i made the post because of what Phil Spencer said

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/422533670453248000

Well, I think it's hard to really know what the future brings, eh? Some people say consoles will be completely gone, some say (like I do) they will be still there, but not as a physical box in your living room and some others think they will remain the form they're in now for at least another generation, but only future can really answer that. With streaming games being already very popular (nVidia Shield, PS Now, etc.), I can imagine that consoles and these type of streaming services can co - exsist, but in the end one will eliminate the other, either completely or into a niché, whereas either Stream devices or consoles become sort of "geeky" stuff, where only a small amount of people will actually play over this device, compareable to vinyl for example. 

We must wait and see how it's going to turn out and how long this is going to take, because not only has the technology of streaming games have to develop, but especially the overall connectivity and bandwidth has to keep up with the amount of devices that can now dial into the internet. It depends on a lot of factors. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Bookmarking this thread. I'll bump it in 7 years!

go linus...... 7 years to go.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Well, I think it's hard to really know what the future brings, eh? Some people say consoles will be completely gone, some say (like I do) they will be still there, but not as a physical box in your living room and some others think they will remain the form they're in now for at least another generation, but only future can really answer that. With streaming games being already very popular (nVidia Shield, PS Now, etc.), I can imagine that consoles and these type of streaming services can co - exsist, but in the end one will eliminate the other, either completely or into a niché, whereas either Stream devices or consoles become sort of "geeky" stuff, where only a small amount of people will actually play over this device, compareable to vinyl for example. 

We must wait and see how it's going to turn out and how long this is going to take, because not only has the technology of streaming games have to develop, but especially the overall connectivity and bandwidth has to keep up with the amount of devices that can now dial into the internet. It depends on a lot of factors. 

Did you just quote Linus?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Did you just quote Linus?

No, I wrote every letter myself, without copy/pasting anything. I said, I have a similar opinion as Linus, but that isn't really a bad thing, is it? ;) 

Well we already the almost 400GB DDR4 ram from Kingston on that Workstation from HP at CES

Interested in Business and Technology

No, I wrote every letter myself, without copy/pasting anything. I said, I have a similar opinion as Linus, but that isn't really a bad thing, is it? ;)

I myself share a similar opinion. However I think game streaming will be the mainstream in 10 or so years for the casual users similar to the role consoles occupy now. But I think the competitive players, enthusiasts, or simply the role PC gamers occupy now will remain the same. The kind of people now who would build their own system for a gameplay experience better than consoles are the same people who would build systems so they don't have to pay for streaming/deal with latency.

Consoles won't be the same but I think the ecosystem will remain the same.

I myself share a similar opinion. However I think game streaming will be the mainstream in 10 or so years for the casual users similar to the role consoles occupy now. But I think the competitive players, enthusiasts, or simply the role PC gamers occupy now will remain the same. The kind of people now who would build their own system for a gameplay experience better than consoles are the same people who would build systems so they don't have to pay for streaming/deal with latency.

Consoles won't be the same but I think the ecosystem will remain the same.

Yeah, but with PC's it's a different story, I was strictly talking about consoles. Again, it's always hard to predict the future, the competitive scene might stick with the regular console longer, yet I think the casual will and would switch to a cloud streaming service, I know I would. The less I have standing around, the better :P:D

Maybe... I don't know as Linus and Logan pointed out, this last generation might be the last one that is as big as it is. If they continue with it's size then I say it's possible. If they shrink it down small to fit into TV's or as big as the dvd drive(yes a little taller to fit the other components) then Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo will have to have a smaller amount of RAM.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

I think consoles in some shape will always be there. There will always be a market of 10 year olds.

Are you guys insane? "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need"

Signatures are stupid.

Hopefully the PS5 won't exist by the time PC gaming crushes the current consoles :)

PC gaming already did crush the current consoles....

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Yeah, but with PC's it's a different story, I was strictly talking about consoles. Again, it's always hard to predict the future, the competitive scene might stick with the regular console longer, yet I think the casual will and would switch to a cloud streaming service, I know I would. The less I have standing around, the better :P:D

Competitive console gamers? Haha funny. All I am saying is cloud gaming will replace consoles but they will occupy the same spot in the ecosystem as consoles occupy now.

PC gaming already did crush the current consoles....

They just don't know it yet :P

Hopefully the PS5 won't exist by the time PC gaming crushes the current consoles :)

This will never ever happen. Current generation consoles will die one day but they will be replace by newer ones, as the idea of gaming consoles will be there forever more no matter what any fanboy says.

since this isnt about "console gaming" i guess it fits in the general section

anyways

i noticed something

every generation had and increase of ram by 16 times

ps1 2MB

ps2 32MB

ps3 512 MB (system 256MB video 256MB)

ps4 8GB unified ram

ps5 128GB of unified ram?

makes you think of how gaming will be 7 years from now

I don't think so, since there probably won't be any technological demand for it whatsoever. In the coming few years, technology is not going to improve in the same exponential form that it has been for decades. Moore's law is going to slow down. For us to progress at the same rate or higher anymore, there needs to be a new breakthrough, a breakthrough that hasn't happen since the advances in transistor and microchip technology in the late 60's and early 70's, something like quantum computing on a very large and advance scale than the simple tests we have been able to use it so far.

Then and only then we will be able to advance yet again on the same (or higher) exponential rate, and so there will be more demand for higher power gear.

This will never ever happen. Current generation consoles will die one day but they will be replace by newer ones, as the idea of gaming consoles will be there forever more no matter what any fanboy says.

I am not coming from a PC fanboy perspective. I think consoles will be replaced by console-like things that draw from nvidia grid style cloud computing setups.