i5-8400?

Go to solution Solved by dgsddfgdfhgs,

i5-8400 is a 6 core i5, will do anything you throw at it in light tasks usage you mentioned above, clock speed isnt an issue.

remember this is intel after all, the toothpaste manufacturer, no visible improvements can be found in daily usage even over several gens, thats why people switched to amd ryzen, why not get 2x threads and more at same cost?

So after trying to catch up on the latest technology I started having some thoughts....and some doubts. I was looking at intel CPU's and thinking that if I were to build myself a new rig, which CPU would I get and which one do I actually need. I spend most of my time watching Youtube (with like 10 other tabs open), I use Lightroom to edit photos maybe a total of a few hours a month, and play with video in Sony Vegas maybe a few hours every third month...and also assume I will NEVER overclock nor will I sell my CPU.

I can't find a good reason, AND nobody can prove to me that an i5-8400 (just stick to Intel for the sake of argument), is a bad choice and/or won't get the job done. You have the crowd who is always going to say, "well for just another $30 you can get x-amount more GHz and if you spread the cost out over a few years you're paying so little extra for even better performance." Ok, BUT, do I actually need that? Will I be doing something on the i5-8400 and notice a lag and think to myself, "man, if only I had that extra .3 GHz maybe my computer would work the way I want it to." Would I even notice a difference between the i5-8400 and the next two i5s in my everyday use? I feel like comparing those i5s performance is like looking at a 96 mph fastball vs. a 100 mph fastball from the bleachers - you can see that both are really fast, really effective, but the only way you know there's a difference between the two is by measuring it.

People will show results of tests that were ran. But they still don't prove to me that it is significant enough of a difference to bump up the CPU. I need a more real-world example...something leading to absolute frustration from not having another 0.3 GHz of speed on the processor. Showing me that a video could take another 30 seconds, minute, or two minutes to render is not enough to convince me that I should just go ahead and upgrade my CPU. That's nothing to me.

So for those of you with expertise, what do you think? Can you provide me with a good reason - a real-world, significant, scenario to prove why I should pay up for the faster i5? A reason(s) beyond "well this benchmark test says this..."

My thought is that the i5-8400 is good enough and fast enough to get everything done just like the next 2 faster i5's above it, and while slower on paper, the difference isn't significant or even that noticeable to the everyday user. If it wasn't good enough, why would they offer one piece of trash and then a couple others that are worthy in the line of processors? I feel like they're just playing on human psychology to squeeze extra money out of you. If a million people spend another 10,20,30 bucks for a few more GHz, that is a LOT of extra revenue. 

Thoughts?

i been using a 6400 in a pc and compared to my 6700 other than really cpu heavy tasks i dont even notice a diference so i really6 doubt it will affect u m,uch at all

@joshuasmith1215

so.. do you already own the i5-8400? and if so there's nothing wrong with not upgrading until you feel your CPU is not fast enough for the tasks you do.

and if you're thinking of buying the i5-8400 then the Ryzen 5 2600 is a much better choice for your kind of workload for the same price, but it's up to you really.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

i5-8400 is a 6 core i5, will do anything you throw at it in light tasks usage you mentioned above, clock speed isnt an issue.

remember this is intel after all, the toothpaste manufacturer, no visible improvements can be found in daily usage even over several gens, thats why people switched to amd ryzen, why not get 2x threads and more at same cost?

Sure, it's fine. Won't need to upgrade for years. If you're not playing games and care about every last fps, then you have nothing to worry about. 

I think the SAME amount of money could go towards a better AMD build, though. But no, there's no reason to spend more money for something you're not going to use.

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

You don't need a text wall to try to convince the forum of you being convinced the 8400 is all you need - your mind is already set. Old Core 2 Duo machines are still in service today let alone a 6 core modern chip.

No, I do not have one right now. I was just trying to see if my thought process was wrong. I actually have an i7-4770k right now and I know it is serious overkill and I never should have bought it but I got caught up in the game of spending extra money for something I didn't actually need because people like to show off their grasp of current products and thus make suggestions to get hardware that are technically better but not needed. 

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

You don't need a text wall to try to convince the forum of you being convinced the 8400 is all you need - your mind is already set. Old Core 2 Duo machines are still in service today let alone a 6 core modern chip.

If I was absolutely convinced then I wouldn't have posted here in the first place seeking  input from people who know more than I do. 

4 minutes ago, joshuasmith1215 said:

No, I do not have one right now. I was just trying to see if my thought process was wrong. I actually have an i7-4770k right now and I know it is serious overkill and I never should have bought it but I got caught up in the game of spending extra money for something I didn't actually need because people like to show off their grasp of current products and thus make suggestions to get hardware that are technically better but not needed. 

the i7 4770K is faster than the 8400 if you overclock it, you don't need to upgrade.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

5 minutes ago, syn2112 said:

the i7 4770K is faster than the 8400 if you overclock it, you don't need to upgrade.

This.
Throw yourself a Lifeline, PHONE A FRIEND & Overclock that Machine.
Buy Cooling if need be,.. thats all the cost needs to be for much better IPC all round from Each & All Cores.

Buying something for barely if at all..an improvement,.. in regards to your usage patterns, never great.
Maybe you just don't know how good the 8threads you have are.... when they are running overclocked...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz