This is a thunderbolt 3 port right?

ccryt

Is this on the Dell G3 17 we were talking about earlier?  The one where the OEM's website said it's only on the 1060 models?

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Is this on the Dell G3 17 we were talking about earlier?  The one where the OEM's website said it's only on the 1060 models?

indeed im now very confused because someone else said that it must be a charging symbol but idk about that but I legit have no clue how computers work so. 

2 minutes ago, ccryt said:

indeed im now very confused

I've been looking at older review sites.  From what I can gather it looks like CURRENTLY the only way to get Thunderbolt 3 is on the 1060, but it appears reviewers had some 1050Ti models with it.  Still trying to confirm.  It may be that it was a very recent sales change.

That IS a Thunderbolt port 3 port from what I can tell.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

I've been looking at older review sites.  From what I can gather it looks like CURRENTLY the only way to get Thunderbolt 3 is on the 1060, but it appears reviewers had some 1050Ti models with it.  Still trying to confirm.  It may be that it was a very recent sales change.

Yeah because Im like really pretty sure I have it, but then you guys said no and that honestly changed my world tbh. 

Just now, ccryt said:

Yeah because Im like really pretty sure I have it, but then you guys said no and that honestly changed my world tbh. 

Im pretty sure this is TB3 but before I dump money into getting a egpu I really wanna make sure. 

Just now, ccryt said:

Sorry about the whole "You're wrong even though you can see it in front of you" mentality in that other thread.

Yeah, it's the right shape, the right symbol.  Unless someone modded it into the chassis for giggles it appears to be a T3 port.  I just can't find any old Dell sales documentation to confirm it from the OEM.  I'll check their service manuals.

4 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Yeah, it's the right shape, the right symbol.  Unless someone modded it into the chassis for giggles it appears to by a T3 port.  I just can't find any old Dell sales documentation to confirm it from the OEM.  I'll check their service manuals.

I can probably open it up and send a picture, the original site I bought it from advertised it as having one. 

5 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Sorry about the whole "You're wrong even though you can see it in front of you" mentality in that other thread.

Its fine you guys know way more then me. 

and who knows I might've been trolled honestly someone knew i was gonna wanna upgrade at some point

Looks like it's confirmed.  It may be accurate now, maybe you can't get a new one with it without a 1060, but I've found numerous Q&A's and reddit threads, etc. all saying that even on the 1050 and 1050Ti T3 is present on both the G5 and G7 even though all documentation calls it optional.  Since you can see it on your machine, I'd say we were crazy in that other thread for believing that all of the OEM's documentation was up to date and truthful.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Looks like it's confirmed.  It may be accurate now, but I've found numerous Q&A's and reddit threads, etc. all saying that even on the 1050 and 1050Ti T3 is present on both the G5 and G7 even though all documentation calls it optional.  Since you can see it on your machine, I'd say we were crazy in that other thread for believing that all of the OEM's documentation was up to date and truthful.

Cool, thanks for the concern though, I guess this case was a outlier but I'm sure you would've stopped me from spending like 800 dollars of worthless money if Dell was accurate. 

1 minute ago, ccryt said:

Cool, thanks for the concern though, I guess this case was a outlier but I'm sure you would've stopped me from spending like 800 dollars of worthless money if Dell was accurate. 

Nah, if anything you corrected me and we all learned something. :)

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Oh...Just make sure you get a quality dock that advertises its included PSU can handle a 1080 though.

I was thinking about getting the Aorus gaming box that comes with a 1080. My friend was willign to sell me a 1080ti for a good price since he plans on getting a 2080ti but I dont know if size is a issue, not sure if egpu enclosures or graphics cards come in different sizes. 

Just now, ccryt said:

I was thinking about getting the Aorus gaming box that comes with a 1080. My friend was willign to sell me a 1080ti for a good price since he plans on getting a 2080ti but I dont know if size is a issue, not sure if egpu enclosures or graphics cards come in different sizes. 

Well, it's kind of like buying a NAS.  Some docks come with a card.  Some docks come with a card you can't change out.  Some docks come with no card.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Well, it's kind of like buying a NAS.  Some docks come with a card.  Some docks come with a card you can't change out.  Some docks come with no card.

guess i got researching to do. thanks for all the help!

3 minutes ago, ccryt said:

I bought one of these boxes on ebay with no GPU in it. It does work fine to put other GPU's in it but they have to be real small, like only the gigabyte mini cards fit, and even then the 970 mini that I have was a little tight. Also I might have had bad luck but the coil whine was ear piercing.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

I bought one of these boxes on ebay with no GPU in it. It does work fine to put other GPU's in it but they have to be real small, like only the gigabyte mini cards fit, and even then the 970 mini that I have was a little tight. Also I might have had bad luck but the coil whine was ear piercing.

wouldnt i be in danger of damaging the graphics card if I tried to squeeze it in, don't they need space to cool? As far as I know thats why a lot of higher end laptops tend to get bulkier to get more fans in to cool those gpus 

1 minute ago, ccryt said:

wouldnt i be in danger of damaging the graphics card if I tried to squeeze it in, don't they need space to cool? As far as I know thats why a lot of higher end laptops tend to get bulkier to get more fans in to cool those gpus 

The box itself has plenty of mesh on the sides from the fans on the card to draw in air, and it has two 40mm fans inside as well so cooling probably isn't your main concern. Just don't try to put a standard size card in there because it physically won't fit, it can only fit the mini series cards.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

The box itself has plenty of mesh on the sides from the fans on the card to draw in air, and it has two 40mm fans inside as well so cooling probably isn't your main concern. Just don't try to put a standard size card in there because it physically won't fit, it can only fit the mini series cards.

ah okayy, ty 4 tips