I didn't kill my RGB strips... did I?

svgPhoenix

I recently bought an NZXT N7 Z370 motherboard and an i5 9600k to upgrade my system. Mobo doesn't support the 9XXX intel CPUs yet. Shit. Return that, get an 8600k instead.

While I'm waiting for the return to go through and the 8600k to be delivered, I decided to put the RGB strips from the NZXT mobo in my system. I connected one to the RGB_C1 port of my Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H and one of the LEDs flashed green for a moment before the whole thing went dark. Gigabyte's software isn't letting me control them. Did I accidentally short them by combining lights that are meant for HUE 2 with a different ecosystem or just plugging them in backwards?

Edited by svgPhoenix
TYPO: Z270 => Z370

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

I’m very confused z270 doesn’t support 8th gen? z270 is 7th gen is it not

Yes, you can't use 8th gen processors on Z270 boards.

You need Z370 for an 8600k...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I’m not sure what’s going on you can’t control rgb from from your bios can you? And as far as I’m aware from a electronic prospect they rgb should be fine.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

I’m not sure what’s going on you can’t control rgb from from your bios can you? And as far as I’m aware from a electronic prospect they rgb should be fine.

Gigabyte's RBG Fusion software doesn't work to control it. I don't recall anything in the BIOS for RGB other than turning the lights on the mobo itself on/off.

11 minutes ago, svgPhoenix said:

Gigabyte's RBG Fusion software doesn't work to control it. I don't recall anything in the BIOS for RGB other than turning the lights on the mobo itself on/off.

Where are you running the rgb software then?

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Where are you running the rgb software then?

Edit: yes I know LED_C1 is off in this screenshot. image.png.63b80250fb3728bf7be8ec413f73ceb1.png

Edited by svgPhoenix

Ohh wait I think I got it, you bought rgb for one system and plugged it into another and it doesn’t work.

plugging led’s in backwards doesn’t do anything, as they are essentially diodes. Nothing would happen. The green lit up so that was not the case anyway.

The most likely didn’t short. Have you tried using actual rgb software/ connecting the hue to your gigabyte system to check if they work? It’s possible only gigabyte lights work with gigabyte software.

Just now, The Torrent said:

Ohh wait I think I got it, you bought rgb for one system and plugged it into another and it doesn’t work.

plugging led’s in backwards doesn’t do anything, as they are essentially diodes. Nothing would happen. The green lit up so that was not the case anyway.

The most likely didn’t short. Have you tried using actual rgb software/ connecting the hue to your gigabyte system to check if they work? It’s possible only gigabyte lights work with gigabyte software.

These RBG strips came with the NZXT mobo. Can't use it rn so I plugged them into my Gigabyte mobo.

Good to know that LEDs themselves aren't affected by backwards wiring, but I'm concerned about the controller in the strip if such a thing exists. That might get fried if it is plugged in to the wrong wire.

I can't test the strips on the NZXT mobo because I don't have a spare PSU to plug it in to.

You might have killed them. Not because of backwards wiring (which usually can be calibrated in software), but because the header on your gigabyte motherboard is a regular 12v rgb header while nzxt uses digital (addressable) 5v rgb strips. You can't mix those, you can only use 12v 5050 strips on your gigabyte motherboard while your nzxt motherboard has an integrated hue header. Only use nzxt strips with a nzxt hue product!

1 minute ago, MkaiL said:

You might have killed them. Not because of backwards wiring (which usually can be calibrated in software), but because the header on your gigabyte motherboard is a regular 12v rgb header while nzxt uses digital (addressable) 5v rgb strips. You can't mix those, you can only use 12v 5050 strips on your gigabyte motherboard while your nzxt motherboard has an integrated hue header. Only use nzxt strips with a nzxt hue product!

Well shit. Looks like I have a support ticket to open with NZXT.

I'll wait to do that (and to solve this thread) until I get the 8600k and I'm able to swap to the new mobo and test the RGB strips.

Yeah, they are most likely dead. I killed my Hue+ strips the other day by connecting them to my new MOBO. Seems like they aren't universal so, that sucks.

Hopefully, yours is covered by warranty.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

11 hours ago, svgPhoenix said:

I recently bought an NZXT N7 Z370 motherboard and an i5 9600k to upgrade my system. Mobo doesn't support the 9XXX intel CPUs yet. Shit. Return that, get an 8600k instead.

While I'm waiting for the return to go through and the 8600k to be delivered, I decided to put the RGB strips from the NZXT mobo in my system. I connected one to the RGB_C1 port of my Gigabyte GA-AB350M-DS3H and one of the LEDs flashed green for a moment before the whole thing went dark. Gigabyte's software isn't letting me control them. Did I accidentally short them by combining lights that are meant for HUE 2 with a different ecosystem or just plugging them in backwards?

Yeah u did kill them as nzxt strips use 5 volts and the motherboard uses 12 volts for RGB strip connecters

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ?