Attempted to overclock G3258, yet CPU does not surpass 3.6 GHz under load?

Here's my current BIOS on my MSI H81M-E33, however under load (synthetic or games) I cannot get the CPU to "dynamically" move above 3.6 (as shown by this CPUZ screenshot). I am obviously able to increase the core multiplier up to 36 while leaving all the settings at stock. If I attempt to increase up to 38, while changing the core voltage to 1.2, the system simply does not go above 3.6GHz under load. I am not having a system crash, and can enter windows perfectly normally however the cpu seems to just refuse the overclock and will simply return to 3.2 GHz or remain at 3.6. 

Can anybody suggest any changes? Am I missing something very obvious?

image.png

image.png

8 minutes ago, ImASpermWhale said:

Here's my current BIOS on my MSI H81M-E33, however under load (synthetic or games) I cannot get the CPU to "dynamically" move above 3.6 (as shown by this CPUZ screenshot). I am obviously able to increase the core multiplier up to 36 while leaving all the settings at stock. If I attempt to increase up to 38, while changing the core voltage to 1.2, the system simply does not go above 3.6GHz under load. I am not having a system crash, and can enter windows perfectly normally however the cpu seems to just refuse the overclock and will simply return to 3.2 GHz or remain at 3.6. 

Can anybody suggest any changes? Am I missing something very obvious?

image.png

image.png

H81 Isnt really coded for overclocking, If you look it up alot of people say they barely can get 50MHZ. Thats because intel has made it very limited OC is meant mainly for memory OC and changing the voltage on it.  You would need a Z87 / Z97.

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Neither the CPU or motherboard support overclocking.

The motherboard doesn't support overclocking.

Your biggest problem isn't clock speed anyway, and even if you could overclock it the performance increase would be negligible. The real issue is that it is a 5 year old dual core Pentium.

Best thing to do would be replace the CPU with a quad core 4th Gen i5 or i7, or better yet replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM with something modern.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

The G3258 is the anniversary edition Pentium, right? I know some H and B series motherboards support overclocking it. Make sure your is one of those. 

Have you tried setting the voltage and frequency to be fixed?

:)

Here is a CPU-Z validation on the same MSI H81M-E33 with a G3258 at 4.7GHz.

Intel disabled G3258 overclocking on a lot of systems with a microcode update so you might want to check that and not only in the BIOS but also the Windows file "Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" which you might need to take ownership of and rename or delete if it's stopping you.

AWOL

2 hours ago, Killstreak said:

H81 Isnt really coded for overclocking, If you look it up alot of people say they barely can get 50MHZ. Thats because intel has made it very limited OC is meant mainly for memory OC and changing the voltage on it.  You would need a Z87 / Z97.

Really? Because I've seen plenty of people at least get to 4.0 on these cheaper boards. I do realise it is limited and will hold me back from reaching 4.7 but still...I find this odd.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Neither the CPU or motherboard support overclocking.

The motherboard doesn't support overclocking.

Your biggest problem isn't clock speed anyway, and even if you could overclock it the performance increase would be negligible. The real issue is that it is a 5 year old dual core Pentium.

Best thing to do would be replace the CPU with a quad core 4th Gen i5 or i7, or better yet replace the motherboard, CPU, and RAM with something modern.

The board does support it...granted the chipset does hold it back. I realise it is an old processor and probably will upgrade however I've seen many posts (even from Linus) suggesting that at 4.7, the chip is still capable at running games fairly high. I mean currently I'm running Assetto Corsa at 1080 (granted mid/lower setting) with CPU usage at 50% peak, running 58 FPS average

8 minutes ago, X_X said:

Here is a CPU-Z validation on the same MSI H81M-E33 with a G3258 at 4.7GHz.

Intel disabled G3258 on a lot of systems with a microcode update so you might want to check that and not only in the BIOS but also the Windows file "Windows\System32\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll" which you might need to take ownership of and rename or delete if it's stopping you.

Not sure what you mean "take ownership of and rename"...any further explanation with that one?

Files have a security context, by default you do not have permission to delete or rename it so you need to take ownership to do that. Look under file properties and security tab.

Rename: such as changing " mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll " to " "mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dl_" such that you can easily change it back if wanting it used by the OS once again.

AWOL

UPDATE: I believe my adjusting of the CPU ring voltage was holding it back. Leaving it be, and simply increasing the multiplier and core voltage I managed to get to 4.7 stable at 1.25 volts.