XPS 13 9370 - Repasting ?

alexl83

Hello Everyone,

I'm Alex from ITaly, new joiner!

I'd like to ask your opinion about my laptop: I got a Dell xps 13 9370 in Q2, I'm considering repasting it to get cooler temps, not burn my lap too much and make it more durable, is it something worth looking into, in your opinion ?

If so, should I consider some standard thermal compoud (which one?) or maybe liquid metal, along with all precautions like confromal coating and so on ?

Would I also need thermal pads ?

Thank you for your support!

Ale

While I am not familiar with the Dell XPS line, I have a Razer Blade Stealth (2018) whose thermal design was done by a hamster. So I can understand lols. I have re pasted mine (i7 8550U) and got some better temps across the board, but it still does churn out heat. Unfortunately any ultra book will do that, they are too thin to get a very competent cooling solution in. That does not mean that it will flat-out not make a difference. I went down a commendable amount (can't remember off the top of my head, but I had a shoddy application from factory) Although I had more luck with custom power plans and fan curves to improve both battery life and temperatures. So as far as if it is worth it I would say yes it is. I personally used Ice Diamond thermal paste, and didn't think to use liquid metal, but I might actually revisit it if it is viable. 

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

You can do repaste if you want. It's recommended to do so. Make sure you select the right paste:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/which-thermal-paste-to-buy-and-apply-traditional-and-liquid-metal.806840/

Also do undervolt

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128