Best streaming box?

Bluethulhu

Pretty simple post, just need a streaming device that can:

• Stream from Netflix
  • Stream Amazon Prime Instant
  • Stream video files from a shared network drive
  • Playback full 1080p
  • Support a remote that is somewhat intuitive

Is there a streaming box that can meet all these needs? I'm not looking to build an HTPC as I would like to keep this fairly cheap (under $150 USD). I also wouldn't mind modifying something like a WD Live TV so it can play Amazon Prime videos, or a Roku to play videos on a network drive if by all means it's necessary.

Spoiler

You could look into a raspberry pi

Rig: AMD FX 8350, Asus Sabertooth 990fx, 16gb Corsair Vengence, Gigabyte R9 290 4GB, Noctua NH-12S, Samsung 840 Evo, WD 1TB Black, Corsair C70, Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster SA350, Acer 193w, Mouse: Cyborg RAT 5. Window 7 Pro

Laptop: Asus x75vd, Intel i5 3210M, 8gb RAM, Nvidia 610m 1gb, 750gb hdd

PS2, PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox360

I guess that intel's NUC can do all of these things.

this is the only thing that comes to mind.

Raspberry pi is like 40-50$? This can do all of this but at my house with 0.5 upload speed it buffers quite a bit.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

• 3 weeks later...

Most current gen players can do that.

I personally recommend:

WD Live HD (Or whatever the current gen model is called) or

Roku 3

Benefit of Roku 3 is that it has PlexApp support, in case you ever decide to set up a home file/media server running Plex. Otherwise buy whichever of the 2 is cheaper. I know for sure that the WD unit supports both Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA passthrough over HDMI, so you can use a receiver to decode and playback the audio over HDMI and then pass the video over HDMI through to the TV.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Roku 3 is cheap and good as long as you set the apps up. Gigabyte brix/nuc are both major overkill but would be superb options if you want to spend that much. I heard recently that boxee is making a comeback, not the cheapest, but for an all in one that is designed specifically for this sort of thing(like WD live and such) it's probably the best. Sykll probably difficult to get your hands on at the moment though. Finally, there's this pi. It'll work. But linux. If you don't mind doing the Linux stuff then it's probably the best option. Connect a usb hub, have on port on the hub have an Ethernet to usb adapter, solid little product. But by the time you get around to buying the adapter and all the other things you might need than the Roku is probably the better option. Not much more expensive and more streamlined

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

never buy a WD the controls are STUPID (no skip 30 sec feature etc) and issue with some codecs

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.