Scam 1080 Ti's being sold for $100 on Ebay? Discussion

pizzaboxer

So someone in the LTT discord provided a link to an eyecatching listing of a 1080ti that is supposedly "refurbished" for about $110 here. I've already seen tons of scam GPUs on Ebay that show a GPU with some sketchy Chinese shroud and a VGA connector when there's clearly not supposed to be one, and just a lot of red flags in general. However, what's different from this is that they seem to be showing pictures of what seems to be an actual 1080ti, instead of just showing their actual scam product like those Chinese ones did. I'm assuming that the seller just took pictures of his own personal 1080ti, then made a listing acting like he's selling the card, but in reality he's going to ship either nothing or a scam GPU. I know that this isn't some clueless seller that doesn't know how much this is worth as he sells these as "refurbished" cards. What do you guys think on this different approach for a GPU scam?

If the deal is too good to be true = Don´t buy and move on to actual deal.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Just now, racer243l said:

I'm not buying the card, I just saw the link to it in the LTT discord and found it interesting how this differs from the usual scam GPUs

2 minutes ago, racer243l said:

Wait.. are you using common sense? This is no place for that nonsense!

/s

12 minutes ago, xtremeguy2256 said:

I've seen tons of scam GPUs on Ebay that show a GPU with some sketchy Chinese shroud and a VGA connector when there's clearly not supposed to be one, and just a lot of red flags in general

Scams are everywhere, welcome to the Internet!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

1 minute ago, xtremeguy2256 said:

I'm not buying the card, I just saw the link to it in the LTT discord and found it interesting how this differs from the usual scam GPUs

Yep, just wanted to tell how I feel about those scams. Seriously, if anybody buys one and expects to get a real 1080 Ti... I don´t know if I should laugh or cry...

Just now, lewdicrous said:

Wait.. are you using common sense? This is no place for that nonsense!

Sorry, going back to the stone I was hiding behind all the time ?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Buy it, eBay buyer protection will give you your money back.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

When you see these obviously fraudulent listings on Ebay, you should report it.

There's a "Report item" link on the page, on the top right of the item "description".
In there, you select "Listing Practice" as the category > "Fraudulent listing activities", for the reason > "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent", for detailed reason.

It's likely that the person who owns this ebay account was hacked (or more likely they re-used the same password in multiple placed and a leak happened) and now a scumbag is trying to make a quickbuck with his account.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

These scams are targeting people that know enough to be "dangerous" to themselves (ie : the type of "gamer" that bought the GT 730 4GB when it came out).

If you think you just found the best deal there is, asks someone that you consider an expert in the matter (like a professional, not your 2nd cousin that built his own gaming PC for $350) ... No offense intended.

And while we're there, what's up with Wish??? Who thinks this is any better than eBay, DX.com, AliExpress and other similar sites ... Like, seriously???

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Much wow...

5 hours ago, xtremeguy2256 said:

What do you guys think on this different approach for a GPU scam?

It is idiotic like any other scam, if you fall for a scam it's always your fault personally speaking.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

These scams are targeting people that know enough to be "dangerous" to themselves (ie : the type of "gamer" that bought the GT 730 4GB when it came out).

If you think you just found the best deal there is, asks someone that you consider an expert in the matter (like a professional, not your 2nd cousin that built his own gaming PC for $350) ... No offense intended.

And while we're there, what's up with Wish??? Who thinks this is any better than eBay, DX.com, AliExpress and other similar sites ... Like, seriously???

AliExpress and eBay have pretty good buyer protection from my personal experience tbh, but items bought on Wish only vaguely match their description it seems.