Should I upgrade?

NovaTronG

Hello! About 4 years ago I built my first gaming PC, which had an i7 4820k, 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws at 1600MHz, an Asus P9X79 MoBo and an Asus GTX660, about 2 years later I upgraded to a GTX 970. I used that pc mainly for gaming, light editing and school. Nowadays, I use that PC more for stuff like 3D Modelling and rendering, video editing, and gaming.

This PC has now been causing some problems, such as random crashes when watching rendered videos, constant blue screens, random performance cuts, and bios config is just a mess, constant "OC Failed", when I don't even overclock, becoming tedious.

So I wanted to know, is it worth it to update? Im about to start studying architecture, so I will use some programs to model and render, such as Maya, 3DS Max, Vray, etc. As well as some Photoshop, and Premiere Pro, but I will also continue gaming, what should I upgrade?

If you are going to be taking architecture seriously than yes definitely upgrade. Further recommendations will be based upon a budget, could you provide one please?

Things you will need to upgrade:

Motherboard, RAM, CPU, maybe GPU depending on how much of this you all plan to do. 

I'd say that your cpu and mobo (and I guess ram too at this point ddr4) would need to be upgraded if you're not happy with your current performance.  Given that most of the applications you would be using are frequency determined (Basically the entire Autodesk suite, and Adobe suite) if your budget allows, go with an 8700 or 8700k paired with the respective 3XX intel chipset motherboard.  The frequency bump to 4.5-4.7 GHz will help, and they have 4 more threads than the 4820k for rendering.

Life is beach, and I'm eating the sand.  Silicon that is.

Crashes and bluescreens? Try a fresh windows install.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

technically you may just have a failing motherboard and swapping that might fix everything I would suggest a new PSU with it but other than that that's not a bad system if it does everything you need  as far as power goes when its running why build a new PC.

32 minutes ago, DVA said:

If you are going to be taking architecture seriously than yes definitely upgrade. Further recommendations will be based upon a budget, could you provide one please?

Things you will need to upgrade:

Motherboard, RAM, CPU, maybe GPU depending on how much of this you all plan to do. 

I will take Architecture seriously for sure, I'm studying that. For a budget, I prefer to go under 1k. And yes, I was planning on geting a GTX 1080, but it was that or the CPU, MoBo and RAM, and I think that's much more important in my case. So, Im planning on using software such as: AutoCAD, Lumion, SketchUp, Vray, AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Premiere Pro, as well as some gaming.

31 minutes ago, Marrolox said:

I'd say that your cpu and mobo (and I guess ram too at this point ddr4) would need to be upgraded if you're not happy with your current performance.  Given that most of the applications you would be using are frequency determined (Basically the entire Autodesk suite, and Adobe suite) if your budget allows, go with an 8700 or 8700k paired with the respective 3XX intel chipset motherboard.  The frequency bump to 4.5-4.7 GHz will help, and they have 4 more threads than the 4820k for rendering.

The performance Im getting itself is not that bad, the thing that bothers me is all the troubles im having (crashes and blue screens). And also, according to what you're saying, getting something like a Ryzen 7 2700x is not worth it? Those extra cores are not worth it? I really don't know about that.

30 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Crashes and bluescreens? Try a fresh windows install.

The problem is that I've done that about 3 times now, and still get them

31 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

technically you may just have a failing motherboard and swapping that might fix everything I would suggest a new PSU with it but other than that that's not a bad system if it does everything you need  as far as power goes when its running why build a new PC.

My PSU is kind of new, and from what i've heard really good. And also, if my MB were to fail, wouldn't it just be worth it to upgrade to a X400 or Z300 Mobo instead of another X79? Obviously with a DDR4 and a Get 8 intel or Ryzen 7 2700

1 minute ago, NovaTronG said:

My PSU is kind of new, and from what i've heard really good. And also, if my MB were to fail, wouldn't it just be worth it to upgrade to a X400 or Z300 Mobo instead of another X79? Obviously with a DDR4 and a Get 8 intel or Ryzen 7 2700

it depends on if you want to spend the money on new ram a cpu and motherboard and a new cooler basically build a computer and reuse the GPU. the 4820k is still a great CPU because it was a beast when it was new it clocks over 4.5Ghz when you overclock them and is a 4c8t that is able to run 4 channels of ram personally if its not a performance problem I wouldn't bother but if you want to do it I'm all in favor of AMDs Ryzen and the 3000 series is being announced in less than a month so the 2000 series is going to be on sale. intel hasn't really made anything since 7700k that's "new" just added cores they are very disappointing to me right now.