Only one third of RAM being detected by Windows

I recently got an older computer for free from my neighbors.

It has an old i7 965 in an EVGA X58 motherboard with 18 GB of Corsair Dominator DDR3 memory. 

I was setting it up for my sister to use as an entry level gaming PC since it has a GTX 770 in it.

After installing Windows I noticed in the task manager that only 6GB out of the 18 were being seen, not only that but Windows reported it as DDR2 as well (which it isn't).

I started testing each stick individually when I noticed that when 6 GB are installed the computer only sees 2 GB, same when I Install 12 GB, only 4 GB is seen.

I'm dumbfounded by this, I've never seen DDR3 ram get registered as DDR2 while only having a third of it recognized. 

Does anyone have any thoughts or solutions?

9 minutes ago, Sevonn said:

I'm dumbfounded by this, I've never seen DDR3 ram get registered as DDR2 while only having a third of it recognized. 

That's crazy, i've never seen this either. Have you tried tweaking bios settings and trying different DDR3 sticks other than what came with it (if applicable)? I'd try resetting the BIOS if all else fails too.

It sounds like it may just be a windows just might be pulling some junk out it's rear, although does the computer report the same amount of memory/type of memory as windows? and what version of windows are you installing, including 32/64 bit?

28 minutes ago, Sevonn said:

not only that but Windows reported it as DDR2 as well (which it isn't)

Did it report the correct frequency? Also, what does the BIOS say?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Speaking of the BIOS, did you ever bother to upgrade the BIOS image?

Seriously, an i7 965 in 2018? That thing is SCREAMING for updates. I can't even begin to tell you how many hardware and firmware bugs had to be fixed since then.

10 hours ago, Axeoasis said:

It sounds like it may just be a windows just might be pulling some junk out it's rear, although does the computer report the same amount of memory/type of memory as windows? and what version of windows are you installing, including 32/64 bit?

Windows 10 64 bit, The BIOS also reports about 6.25 GB of RAM in the computer when there should be 18.

10 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Did it report the correct frequency? Also, what does the BIOS say?

The frequencies match. The BIOS also reports there is about 6.25 GB of RAM.

9 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

Speaking of the BIOS, did you ever bother to upgrade the BIOS image?

Seriously, an i7 965 in 2018? That thing is SCREAMING for updates. I can't even begin to tell you how many hardware and firmware bugs had to be fixed since then.

Updating the BIOS is one of the first things I did, unfortunately, there was no change, it still reports an incorrect amount of RAM.

20181222_084400.jpg

And have you tried the ram in a different machine or tried known working memory?

Just now, Axeoasis said:

And have you tried the ram in a different machine or tried known working memory?

Sadly I do not have any other machines in my house that use DDR3, my personal PC is DDR4, and I sold my extra DDR3 sticks 3 months ago. 

2 hours ago, Sevonn said:

Windows 10 64 bit, The BIOS also reports about 6.25 GB of RAM in the computer when there should be 18.

The frequencies match. The BIOS also reports there is about 6.25 GB of RAM.

Updating the BIOS is one of the first things I did, unfortunately, there was no change, it still reports an incorrect amount of RAM.

The i7 965 was never designed to run W10, that could be part of the problem. Every OS handles RAM differently. Have you tried running Windows 7 on that system? It may give you a better read. But then again, if the BIOS is reporting the same thing as the OS, have you tried loading the default values in the BIOS? Sometimes load defaults clears issues like this.

3 hours ago, Phas3L0ck said:

The i7 965 was never designed to run W10, that could be part of the problem. Every OS handles RAM differently. Have you tried running Windows 7 on that system? It may give you a better read. But then again, if the BIOS is reporting the same thing as the OS, have you tried loading the default values in the BIOS? Sometimes load defaults clears issues like this.

Loading the defaults didn't help, I don't understand this.

5 minutes ago, Sevonn said:

Loading the defaults didn't help, I don't understand this.

If loading defaults didn't work, the only other thing I can think of is the RAM is defective. It's rare but it does happen.

I'd try Phase3L0ck's suggestion about windows 7, in many cases where things won't work in 10, it's possible they could in 7. I'd also try running memtest on the PC.