My Liquid Metal Experience thanks to linus :'D

Wardaddy755

A couple fo weeks ago while rendering a video 100c on my cpu caught my eye, I knew that it was time to do something about it and after a nice research on google I decided to try them all. Undervolting, fan profile and replacing thermal paste, but I still wasn't happy with the results. Then I heard about this magical compound that would drop 10c even on a cleaned system! So, I was like, let's go for it! Today I got my tube and was really happy about it and after applying kapton tape and the lm the temps were even worse than before :confused: I knew something wasn't right therfore opened notebook again and while I was changing the tip 3 tear sized drops landed in my opened notebook, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, one splashed in the gpu, another one in the battery bay another one on the heatsink. Ok, I can fix this, tried to suck the lm back in the tube but popped the plunger out and more lm spilled all over the place:laugh: So I unscrewed the tip and slowly pushed the punlger back in the barrel then put the tip back on and sucked in more lm and did this for 30 mins. Surprisingly I didn't loose any lm, anyway after applying more the second time temps were better but not what I expected. Too be sure I didn't put too much I opened it up again one last time and it was all fine.
The laptop is an msi gt70 barebone from medion and if I'm not mistaken it looks like that the gpu heatsink is not making proper contact.
Well, thanks for reading I hope you had fun and if you have any suggestions let me know!

RESULTS HERE:

10.png

12.png

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.png

I don't think you're supposed to put liquid metal on the copper cooling block for the GPU. I think it has to do with the chemical reactions that happen when the metals mix. I could be thinking of copper AIO blocks and aluminum radiators though.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

9 minutes ago, mxk. said:

I don't think you're supposed to put liquid metal on the copper cooling block for the GPU. I think it has to do with the chemical reactions that happen when the metals mix. I could be thinking of copper AIO blocks and aluminum radiators though.

If its liquid metal on copper the copper will suck up the liquid metal.  He will have to reapply multiple times (temps will skyrocket) as this happens until the copper is basically unable to suck in any more liquid metal from what I understand

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Tristerin said:

If its liquid metal on copper the copper will suck up the liquid metal.  He will have to reapply multiple times (temps will skyrocket) as this happens until the copper is basically unable to suck in any more liquid metal from what I understand

oh yeahhh I remember learning that in my chemistry class. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

21 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

If I'm not mistaken conductonaut shouldn't eat the copper heatsink, it's only incompatible with aluminium says the manual ?

4 minutes ago, Wardaddy755 said:

If I'm not mistaken conductonaut shouldn't eat the copper heatsink, it's only incompatible with aluminium says the manual ?

I am NO pro at this topic, just reading a lot here so me being wrong is 100% probable lol

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

13 hours ago, Wardaddy755 said:

it wont de-grade its structure like aluminium, but it does sponge up the liquid, due to the properties of metal in a liquid state,

13 hours ago, Tristerin said:

I am NO pro at this topic, just reading a lot here so me being wrong is 100% probable lol

saturation could never happen, or happen soon, But absorption is also affected but operational temps

partly why gpu don't benefit as much from LM, you will re-apply a lot more since they tend to run hotter, and reasons such as already being 'de-lidded'

@Wardaddy755 the best you can really hope for at this point is to keep using it: you can re-apply a decent paste if you'd like (the copper may already be stained)  Since the IRL w/mk you can really expect from a LM tim is 15-20 ( the 70+ claims im not sure how they are sussed, and cant find any real supporting studies that reflect these claims.)

IMO i wouldn't recommend LM in a frequent moved laptop since applying just the right amount can be tricky, without risking drips.  Also laptops nowadays tend to have a lot more aluminum in them to cut down on weight.

49 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

it wont de-grade its structure like aluminium, but it does sponge up the liquid, due to the properties of metal in a liquid state,

saturation could never happen, or happen soon, But absorption is also affected but operational temps

partly why gpu don't benefit as much from LM, you will re-apply a lot more since they tend to run hotter, and reasons such as already being 'de-lidded'

@Wardaddy755 the best you can really hope for at this point is to keep using it: you can re-apply a decent paste if you'd like (the copper may already be stained)  Since the IRL w/mk you can really expect from a LM tim is 15-20 ( the 70+ claims im not sure how they are sussed, and cant find any real supporting studies that reflect these claims.)

IMO i wouldn't recommend LM in a frequent moved laptop since applying just the right amount can be tricky, without risking drips.  Also laptops nowadays tend to have a lot more aluminum in them to cut down on weight.

Thanks for the replies, so as it looks like the custom fan curve made the biggest difference also noticed that I can just check the heatsink and not reapply the lm and temps are still the same, so that is cool! Also read a lot about lm in laptops and there is many ppl that claim they didn't get spills after moving their laptops, tbh I barely move mine but when I do I can check if the lm moved or not in 10 mins :^)

2 minutes ago, Wardaddy755 said:

Thanks for the replies, so as it looks like the custom fan curve made the biggest difference also noticed that I can just check the heatsink and not reapply the lm and temps are still the same, so that is cool! Also read a lot about lm in laptops and there is many ppl that claim they didn't get spills after moving their laptops, tbh I barely move mine but when I do I can check if the lm moved or not in 10 mins :^)

when you let it drop by accident.. not really an issue if you barely move it/ are paranoid and careful to begin with,

Also only an issue if you apply to much as well (applying more= checking tim absorption less)

22 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

when you let it drop by accident.. not really an issue if you barely move it/ are paranoid and careful to begin with,

Also only an issue if you apply to much as well (applying more= checking tim absorption less)

Well, after flushing the lm tube everyhere inside the notebook by accident and sucking it back in I added more lm to the cpu die and heatsinks and then sucked it up unti it wasn't giving a ripple effect anymore.

5 hours ago, Wardaddy755 said:

Well, after flushing the lm tube everyhere inside the notebook by accident and sucking it back in I added more lm to the cpu die and heatsinks and then sucked it up unti it wasn't giving a ripple effect anymore.

Sounds like you have done it right then and have less to worry about that way.  

And I don't mean moving at all. I mean jarring movements (in backpack running down stairs)....

2 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

Sounds like you have done it right then and have less to worry about that way.  

And I don't mean moving at all. I mean jarring movements (in backpack running down stairs)....

Ah, no need to worry about it this bad boy rests on the table and when it gets moved it sits in the car :^)