Immediate Windows 10 After CPU/Mobo/RAM Upgrade?

CDHoward

So I've read that, after upgrading your motherboard, CPU and RAM, you turn on your computer and Windows 10 is still there just as it was before you changed your hardware.

(As long as you ensure your Windows copy is digitally linked to your Microsoft account).

May I ask if this is correct? 

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, amusedschrodinger said:

Yup

When I bought my copy of Windows, I got the retail, boxed Windows 8.1 (this is before Windows 10 came out, of course). I then upgraded it Windows 10 when Microsoft had their free-to-update offer.

This doesn't change anything, does it? All I gave to is ensure my Windows is digitally linked to my Microsoft account?

Make sure you have your product key before you go ahead as the is sometimes a limitation on how many activations a product key can do and you have to ring ms support and tell them the issue and product key. They will usually reset your count and you're fine

You might still wanna do a clean install because drivers won't play nice with the new hardware.

I guess you can give it a shot and see if you run into any issues.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

17 minutes ago, Nocte said:

You might still wanna do a clean install because drivers won't play nice with the new hardware.

I guess you can give it a shot and see if you run into any issues.

What's the best way to do a clean install, whilst leaving your personal files unaffected, mate?

EDIT: I can't believe I just even said that, really. The entire point of a clean install IS removing everything, isn't it.

3 hours ago, CDHoward said:

What's the best way to do a clean install, whilst leaving your personal files unaffected, mate?

EDIT: I can't believe I just even said that, really. The entire point of a clean install IS removing everything, isn't it.

Well, you can keep your files by storing them on a cloud platform or other storage devices you have.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

On boot up windows will detect and install the new drivers, this has even been shown in some ltt videos

I wouldn't worry about it, the old days of Windows BSOD after swapping platforms are gone. 

I've moved drives between x99 and x299, x99 and z370, z370 and z390, and most impressively from my 2017 Razer Blade to an H270 gigabyte board with a 2 core Pentium G3930 and no video card. 

Took a few minutes to boot in each case, but worked fine. 

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

Here's what I do, there may be an easier way, but I know this works.

-Backup any important files/media that you'd like to keep.  (i.e. your music library, or important documents)

-Write down your Product Key

-Do a fresh install on the new system, using your product key to activate

-Transfer any necessary files/media back onto your new machine.  

I like doing it this way because it A: Makes a backup of anything important B: you'll find that you're  backing up a lot of stuff you don't necessarily need on your machine taking up space, and C - A clean install of Windows is always nice to start a new machine with. 

Yes, unfortunatly you will still be running W10 after a hardware upgrade if you have it linked to an account.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

If you can afford to -- I like the method where you install a fresh drive into the new machine that you install Windows on and then take the old drive and remove its boot sector and put it into the new system.  That way you can migrate your files at your leisure.  Eventually getting to the point where you feel safe enough to then begin deleting everything off the old drive that were old program installs and system files.  

And for the Windows activation I have seen that linking it to a Microsoft account allows you to easily re-activate the old key with new hardware, but I know it isn't something you need to do.  It may be easier though if there are hiccups.  It took me a couple attempts after switching motherboards, but it was  wasn't difficult.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case