Ethernet slower than Wifi

Danimates

I know why the ethernet is slower than the wifi! What I need help with is something else. Half of the time my ethernet does not work and windows says "Unidentified Network/No internet" and the fix to that is setting the Ethernets Speed and Duplex to 10mbps Half Duplex. After I do that my ethernet works but my speed drops from 161mbps to 8mbps! How do I fix this? Do I have to settle for Wi-Fi speeds? (Wifi speed = 135mbps

4 minutes ago, Danimates said:

I know why the ethernet is slower than the wifi! What I need help with is something else. Half of the time my ethernet does not work and windows says "Unidentified Network/No internet" and the fix to that is setting the Ethernets Speed and Duplex to 10mbps Half Duplex. After I do that my ethernet works but my speed drops from 161mbps to 8mbps! How do I fix this? Do I have to settle for Wi-Fi speeds? (Wifi speed = 135mbps

What router are you using? Some crappy ones from ISP's might not have a great switch in them. but if your on a connection they should have provided a hub that can throughput  that over ethernet 

Just now, Fyfey96 said:

What router are you using? Some crappy ones from ISP's might not have a great switch in them. but if your on a connection they should have provided a hub that can throughput  that over ethernet 

My father bought this connected home system called "Plume" We have a big house and he bought this because it extends the radius of the wifi (The plume pods have ethernet slots on them)

Either the plume pod has a busted ethernet jack or your cable is messed up most likely.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Either the plume pod has a busted ethernet jack or your cable is messed up most likely.

The ethernet works it justs can only go at 10mbps Half Duplex. Also I've tried 2 ports and 2 cables. Also after I set yo half duplex i can put it back and 1gb full but after a few days it stops working and I have to fix it again

10 minutes ago, Danimates said:

The ethernet works it justs can only go at 10mbps Half Duplex. Also I've tried 2 ports and 2 cables. Also after I set yo half duplex i can put it back and 1gb full but after a few days it stops working and I have to fix it again

Sounds to me like your dog chewed on the flux capacitor which then caused a ripple in the time continuum and forced you to turn on half duplex mode to correct the distortion in space and time. To fix the problem you need to shave your dogs tail at exactly 1:34PM PST with a purple razor with the numbers 27 written on it. After he is shaved you will need to walk him backwards for exactly 317 paces before letting him have 3 doggy treats.

9 minutes ago, Danimates said:

Something on the Plume itself or the NIC on your PC might be bad then since it sounds like it has issues with negotiation between it and the other device. Nothing immediately jumps out as to what might cause that though. Do you have any power saving features on your computer perhaps for the NIC card under the properties from Device Manager?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

33 minutes ago, Danimates said:

On a more serious note the problem is going to be one of several things.

• Bad Nic causing issues
  • Router/switch issues
  • Bad Cable
  • Driver issues

I would start off by checking your drivers. You said you already checked the cable, so next I would see if you have another wired device you can test out for a few days. If the problem doesn't reoccur then it is an issue with either your NIC or something else on your machine causing an issue. If it does re-occur I would try purchase a new cable and seeing if that fixes it. If none of the other options have worked get a new router/switch unless you have an ISP owned device then tell them to replace it (should be free).... if you do have a ISP owned device I might even make that the second step in this process as their is no cost associated with it.

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Something on the Plume itself or the NIC on your PC might be bad then since it sounds like it has issues with negotiation between it and the other device. Nothing immediately jumps out as to what might cause that though. Do you have any power saving features on your computer perhaps for the NIC card under the properties from Device Manager?

I dont have power saving enabled