Dedicated Gaming Server

I am confused and wondering how to make a VM with Windows Server 2016 that runs as a gaming server. What roles and features would I need on that server? I want to make a dedicated server for either Wreckfest or Assetto Corsa. I did do some research but it says I can just change a file in notepad and save it which should work. I don't want to do this as I want an actual server that I made. Any tips or advice?

You first would need to create a VM using whatever you prefer to do so, then install Windows Server 2016 on the VM. Installing a server for these should be no different than installing the server application on a desktop operating system. No special roles or features are really needed as the roles and features are typically services themselves. DHCP for example is used for configuring network adapters on PCs that request it. The only thing you will need to change on a Windows Server operating system would be firewall. By default Windows Server firewall only allows certain programs through and you will need to allows server ports and the application itself through the firewall. If you don't do this no one will be able to connect, not even on the local network.

1 minute ago, YoFavRussian said:

You first would need to create a VM using whatever you prefer to do so, then install Windows Server 2016 on the VM. Installing a server for these should be no different than installing the server application on a desktop operating system. No special roles or features are really needed as the roles and features are typically services themselves. DHCP for example is used for configuring network adapters on PCs that request it. The only thing you will need to change on a Windows Server operating system would be firewall. By default Windows Server firewall only allows certain programs through and you will need to allows server ports and the application itself through the firewall. If you don't do this no one will be able to connect, not even on the local network.

All of that makes sense but how do I connect to that server to host a track? This seems easy but am I just over over complicating it?

1 minute ago, Nate Tsirlemes said:

All of that makes sense but how do I connect to that server to host a track? This seems easy but am I just over over complicating it?

I will look at it tomorrow morning since I don't have to work but someone else may come along with an answer, i will get back to you though.

So I would follow this tutorial for creating a server, but after it's been created move the entire game folder onto your copy of Windows Server.

And after you've copied it just make a shortcut to the server application and place it somewhere accessible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/assettocorsa/comments/2la21d/assetto_corsa_server_setup_guide/

I run an Unturned server this same way because the server software relies on the game files in order to work.

Are you hell-bent on setting it up on a Windows Server? And why specifically on a VM?

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

6 hours ago, myselfolli said:

Are you hell-bent on setting it up on a Windows Server? And why specifically on a VM?

It's kind of strange right? I just use a copy of Windows 7 on an old Dell tower that has a 2nd gen I7 for my game servers.

I needed to do a project for my school and I thought of this. Now that I looked into it, its a lot easier than I thought it would be. Plus, the two games I had in mind have their own server manager in the game files and there you can make your own server using their resources. I am using a Hyper-V because I have one pc and I was planning on running it in the backround and maybe remoting into it. With that said, can I connect to my server from another network and would I do that through port forwarding?

Just now, Nate Tsirlemes said:

I needed to do a project for my school and I thought of this. Now that I looked into it, its a lot easier than I thought it would be. Plus, the two games I had in mind have their own server manager in the game files and there you can make your own server using their resources. I am using a Hyper-V because I have one pc and I was planning on running it in the backround and maybe remoting into it. With that said, can I connect to my server from another network and would I do that through port forwarding?

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2018 at 8:07 AM, Nate Tsirlemes said:

Yes, port forwarding would be the way to do that. When you port forward it's essentially poking holes in the firewall to allow specific traffic within that port range to flow through. To start you'll need your server ports and the login to your router. And if you're running Windows Server you'll need to make port exceptions on the OS firewall too. "Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security"