• AR-sunglasses
  • Car windows for the backseats
  • "hover effect" (ghosts, magic etc.) in amusement parks
  • AR-Mirrors
  • Windows replacing the real view with other sights
  • if the denisty is good enough: Cam-behind-screen isn't that impossible
  • trippy glass floors/stairs
  • glass bus stops, escalators etc.
  • expensive event-bottles with animations (battery, chip and induction-loading mechanism+transmission at the bottom) :V
  • smart shower glass panel
  • visual support/appeal for vending machines
  • combined with microsofts smart table idea: modern glass desk version

?

I'm sure it could be useful to someone but I have my TV on the wall and if I didn't, I'd have it close enough to the wall so it wouldn't matter. The translucent effect could be super distracting for me as well.

Same as with every gadget from a futuristic movie or tv series that for some reason has to be see-through to communicate higher level of technology. Meanwhile I'm left wondering who would want their phone or tablet translucent and why exactly.

So yeah, it's a neat tech and probably could find very specific uses but for a typical home theater it's about as useful as a curved screen - an impractical or meaningless novelty to admire.

Granted, I'm not against admiring cool looking stuff (looks at his In Win Tou 2.0) :D 

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 hours ago, Hagorath said:

Car windows for the backseats

That would be so fun.  You can see out but if you look in you see a picture of my choosing.  If the car is moving and somewhat dark outside you could probably fool bystanders pretty good.  

I think it could have a polarization effect to adjust colour/brightness depth, based on the amount of ambient light (like what a mobile phone does).

Touch functionality and double-sided output would also be great for some industries, such as design studios, to operate as a workstation display.  Even families could enjoy gaming on the platform, or watch two different television feeds simultaneously.

Was the video taken down or something? I'm getting "Video inaccessible. Uploader did not make this video available." It's my rough translation of message in polish so english one is probably a bit different. I was able to watch the video on facebook though so if anybody else is getting the same error search there.

@Crad yes the video seems to be taken down, it's not on youtube anymore

5 minutes ago, Crad said:

Was the video taken down or something? I'm getting "Video inaccessible. Uploader did not make this video available." It's my rough translation of message in polish so english one is probably a bit different. I was able to watch the video on facebook though so if anybody else is getting the same error search there.

I am getting the same thing.

18 minutes ago, Crad said:

Same in the states (assuming you're in Poland)

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

12 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Dreamhack (et al) should look into getting these sized into monitors o_o imagine cameras behind the monitors for playercams

EDIT: heck maybe walls where one side is the team name or the scoreboard and the second is for the audience to look into ehh maybe not, that's something for live superimposing ._.

stacking panels would make the background darker ._. it's like an ND filter because of how much light the OLED circuitry blocks

was not thinking to keep it so you can see through it anymore - was thinking that the cheese grater they did could be filled in and make a whole new tv out of it. it would not make it darker it would use the holes to add another image.

I could see an use for transparent monitors in classrooms in school / college. That way, you can see further up with less obstruction, because in some classes I've had at college, they had 27" monitors that were tall. They obstructed the view even though I would sit up in front. 

and being Deaf, it was hard to find a sweet spot. I usually had to pick a spot where I could see between two monitors. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:03 PM, Canada EH said:

Did Plasma ever take off?

No, because of the Smartphone Revolution: There was SO much money to be made from smartphones, so all that capital was redirected to smartphone-related display technologies (LCDs/OLEDs/etc.), driving quality up and prices down. 

I'd be shocked if there were even a single factory in the world making plasma screens today.  

• 2 weeks later...

Plasma TV's were da bomb!

Literally

Insert laughing emojicon here

Dammit Linus why so fucking many emojicons. I know I know, have to cater to your crowd.

Insert smile emojicon here.

Insert silly facial expression here as well, why not!

Nose picking facial expresison ;)

You could have a TV or some sort of ad on the front of it, then have a camera behind to record the viewer's reaction.. or just to plain spy on them. This could replace a noticeable security camera bubble with a TV screen showing regular store media but the camera is hidden behind the screen.

You could also use this technology to record yourself for a video and have the camera directly in line with your face, but then you are watching the screen to make sure that your actions are lining up to how you're acting. So say a small 7-inch version of this in front of a camera lens so that the person is watching the camera but also able to watch themselves perform, or reading a script from the screen without looking away.

Another use would be again with the camera, but on screen would be an outfit you are trying on by having what the camera sees forwarded to the screen with an overlay of the outfit, hairstyle, or prop.

A haunted house could use it as a mirror that flashes the image of a demon or something over top of the person who was looking at it to scare them.

Digital Venetian blinds

Or you could just be really silly and put a CRT monitor in the background and use this TV just add some color around it like a picture frame :D

I want this with a transparent bezel on my wall!

And a transparent smartphone!!

I wonder what it looks like from behind when the lights are off. Is it still transparent af or you can acctualy see whats going on on the screen?

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, CPotter said:

Thanks to LG Display for sponsoring this video! Learn more at https://lmg.gg/oledspace 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, Divyam Garg said:
If it's an OLED display which is transparent then how are they producing black colours since the pixels in regular oleds turn off to produce black. If they are creating black like regular displays then what makes them different from regular transparent LCDs ???

i would put this technology into car windshield for GPS and stuff you could see the actual road with arrows 

On 12/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, CPotter said:

Thanks to LG Display for sponsoring this video! Learn more at https://lmg.gg/oledspace 

ya i would pu this technology in cars windshield for GPS and stuff you could see the actual road with arrows would be cool and great i think