Is a GPU required?

Bullet-Genius

Hello,

I am looking to make a speedy web surfing computer (a little beefy), any comments on if this is a good setup? I remember from making my AMD pc that i needed a dedicated GPU for general function, doesn't this one need one? if so any recommendations?

Thank you for reading, any comments appreciated!

If it's really only web surfing, then no. You don't need a GPU for web surfing, even if making a beefy computer. Just get a decent CPU and plenty of RAM. If there are some other tasks/uses you think you might need a GPU for, then it depends on what those are. Sometimes integrated graphics on something like an Intel can get you pretty far.

Depends.

If you have an processor with build-in iGPU, either Intel HD or AMD R-series, they can do fine in web browsing. It can be enabled in BIOS.

Intel Xeon and AMD FX or Ryzen, etc, lacks a proper integrated iGPU. In this case you must get a dedicated GPU to get a display output.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 minute ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

If it's really only web surfing, then no. You don't need a GPU for web surfing, even if making a beefy computer. Just get a decent CPU and plenty of RAM. If there are some other tasks/uses you think you might need a GPU for, then it depends on what those are. Sometimes integrated graphics on something like an Intel can get you pretty far.

false info. you do need a GPU otherwise you dont have anything to display on the screen. an iGPU is a GPU like any other

some CPUs have iGPUs like Intels whole lineup (excluding hedt) or AMDs lineup of APUs (marked with G (or GE) at the end like the r3 2200G)

5 minutes ago, campy said:

Modern Ryzen processors dont have integrated graphics, but there are APUs in the lineup that do. Such as the R3 2200G and R5 2400G

Which are comparable graphics wise to something along the lines of a GT 730, so a 720p gaming APU at best.

Not quite right. Only if you buy bottom of the barrel DDR4 slow ass 2133 memory in single channel you get that kind of performance. If you get DDR4-3000, which isn't that expensive, in dual channel, you end up between the GT1030 and RX550. That's really not bad considering those cards alone cost around the $80-100 mark.

15 minutes ago, Bullet-Genius said:

Hello,

I am looking to make a speedy web surfing computer (a little beefy), any comments on if this is a good setup? I remember from making my AMD pc that i needed a dedicated GPU for general function, doesn't this one need one? if so any recommendations?

Honestly, a Ryzen 3 2200G would be perfect. Add 8GB (or 16 if you want) DDR4-3000 (a 2x4 or 2x8 kit) and basically any motherboard that supports it. Slap on a m.2 SSD and you're set.

A combo like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($93.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $350.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-19 03:22 EST-0500

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

false info. you do need a GPU otherwise you dont have anything to display on the screen. an iGPU is a GPU like any other

some CPUs have iGPUs like Intels whole lineup (excluding hedt) or AMDs lineup of APUs (marked with G (or GE) at the end like the r3 2200G)

I was talking about a dedicated GPU. Should've been more clear. Integrated GPUs aren't exactly the same as dedicated GPUs, since they get their memory from the system RAM. 

Apart from the Ryzen series, integrated GPU's can be taken pretty much for granted in the consumer market these days. And even then, we have the Ryzen APUs.

2 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

Integrated GPUs aren't exactly the same as dedicated GPUs, since they get their memory from the system RAM. 

actually, they very much are the exact same thing. they just happen to be on the same substrate as the CPU and may or may not be connected to the CPU directly and instead of PCIe lanes.

3 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

I was talking about a dedicated GPU.

i knew, but in the OP it was mentioned AMD PC in which case you should be quite clear that Ryzen CPUs that arent Marked with a G in their naming doesnt have an iGPU. 

37 minutes ago, campy said:

Modern Ryzen processors dont have integrated graphics, but there are APUs in the lineup that do. Such as the R3 2200G and R5 2400G

Which are comparable graphics wise to something along the lines of a GT 730, so a 720p gaming APU at best. Not bad for their prices.

Intel side you get an igp on most processors, any normal consumer tier processor will have igp.

They're both comparable to a GT 1030 (Vega 11 closer to 750 Ti however), a GT 730 is much worse

image.png

image.png.1aea886954b7514e8a2c6602e2ac8fea.png

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

On 12/19/2018 at 3:23 AM, NelizMastr said:

Not quite right. Only if you buy bottom of the barrel DDR4 slow ass 2133 memory in single channel you get that kind of performance. If you get DDR4-3000, which isn't that expensive, in dual channel, you end up between the GT1030 and RX550. That's really not bad considering those cards alone cost around the $80-100 mark.

Honestly, a Ryzen 3 2200G would be perfect. Add 8GB (or 16 if you want) DDR4-3000 (a 2x4 or 2x8 kit) and basically any motherboard that supports it. Slap on a m.2 SSD and you're set.

A combo like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($93.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $350.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-19 03:22 EST-0500

Thank you all for your input it was very helpful! ill just go with this setup.

Thanks again