Weird electric power cord/psu noise

Yiannis15

Hello my brother has the evga 500w 80plus and his power cord when I plug the it on the psu is making a weird electric buzzing noise and the PC doesnt start until I try a lot of times. Tomorrow when the PC was off it made a buzzing noise when the PC was off for 30seconds. What do you suggest to change the power cord? Any power cord will do the work?

I'd be really cautious with a PSU acting funny... If it dies (which I'm not saying it is, I really don't know) it could take some of the other components down with it...

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

if the psu is like atleast 20 years old, call up AkBKukU for help, he can save any old psu's, using the powers of recapping it, and if it is newer than 20 years old... i hope you have a warranty for it. 

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

noise of a bit of static is normal if you plug in the cable when it's already in the socket with the switch turned on (or just plugged into a socket without a switch).

If you're gonna change anything. change the PSU itself. EVGA's 80 Plus units are pretty garbage.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

I'd be really cautious with a PSU acting funny... If it dies (which I'm not saying it is, I really don't know) it could take some of the other components down with it...

they usually dont take anything out unless it is a catastrophic failiure, in which case loosing some components will be the least of your worries, but normally it just becomes unstable power delivery on something like the 5V or 12V rail under load and slowly gets worse over time, although it sounds like it could be an issue on the high voltage side of the psu where it handles the ac, which could explain the buzzing noise, since both buzzing and ac power can be described as "Jiggly waves". in which case you probably should keep a fire extinguisher nearby if it goes south

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

2 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

noise of a bit of static is normal if you plug in the cable when it's already in the socket with the switch turned on (or just plugged into a socket without a switch).

If you're gonna change anything. change the PSU itself. EVGA's 80 Plus units are pretty garbage.

The socket was off but when I put the cord in sometimes it doesn't start until I move it a little

3 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Can I use any power cord to plug the psu?

if it fits, it works, given that it is a working cable in the first place, but they are all the same really

45 minutes ago, Shoe_Eater said:

if it fits, it works, given that it is a working cable in the first place, but they are all the same really

if i fits i sits

It could be a sign that somehow the wires connecting the metal contacts of the mains socket on the power supply to the circuit board got desoldered somehow - the wire may still be making contact with the metal prong or whatever is called but only in certain positions.  Here's a bunch of pictures to show what i mean ... you have the three metal things coming out the socket, the live, neutral and ground pins .. they're either soldered to wires or to a tiny circuit board which contains filtering components. Sometimes with repeated insertion of the power cable, the solder can break and there's a bad solder joint.

psu00.jpg.131de8c35bf573f484b985138c5e24da.jpg

psu01.jpg.ce79635103aa52f358c9724d31f18d09.jpg

psu02.jpg.0ef9d734c1ff41ee9b774a89ddabf57e.jpg

You/ He can open it up and plug and remove a power cable from the connector (unplug the power cable from mains socket for your safety) and visually inspect (look carefully) at solder joints as you do that to see if the solder joints are good there.

If they're not, they can be fixed with a soldering iron.

Another possibility would be that the power cable you have is really cheap bad cable which is kinda loose or oxidized inside ... for example the metal rectangle things inside the plug could be too wide and not making a good friction with the pins inside the psu connector.

Hello my brother has a evga 500w psu and his power cable is making problems. Can I change it with any fitting power lead cable? Should I look for specific requirements for the cable?

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It could be a sign that somehow the wires connecting the metal contacts of the mains socket on the power supply to the circuit board got desoldered somehow - the wire may still be making contact with the metal prong or whatever is called but only in certain positions.  Here's a bunch of pictures to show what i mean ... you have the three metal things coming out the socket, the live, neutral and ground pins .. they're either soldered to wires or to a tiny circuit board which contains filtering components. Sometimes with repeated insertion of the power cable, the solder can break and there's a bad solder joint.

psu00.jpg.131de8c35bf573f484b985138c5e24da.jpg

psu01.jpg.ce79635103aa52f358c9724d31f18d09.jpg

psu02.jpg.0ef9d734c1ff41ee9b774a89ddabf57e.jpg

You/ He can open it up and plug and remove a power cable from the connector (unplug the power cable from mains socket for your safety) and visually inspect (look carefully) at solder joints as you do that to see if the solder joints are good there.

If they're not, they can be fixed with a soldering iron.

Another possibility would be that the power cable you have is really cheap bad cable which is kinda loose or oxidized inside ... for example the metal rectangle things inside the plug could be too wide and not making a good friction with the pins inside the psu connector.

I think that the power cable that came with the pay doesn't fit well

9 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Hello my brother has a evga 500w psu and his power cable is making problems. Can I change it with any fitting power lead cable? Should I look for specific requirements for the cable?

you mean main power cable that goes from the wall to pc?

3 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

you mean main power cable that goes from the wall to pc?

Yea

10 minutes ago, wojtepanik said:

for 500w anyone is fine with grounding

Even one from an old 21 inch TV? Or I shall buy one

23 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Even one from an old 21 inch TV? Or I shall buy one

it is like couple dollars, you may use temporarly the old one, but prefarably get new one, due to old rubber getting hard and weak

21 hours ago, Turretgaming said:

if i fits i sits

was gonna say that, but i thought it wouldnt be taken seriously if i did that