win 7 or win 8

polatok

I think razethew0rld tested it and Win8 came out a little faster, but compatibility problems exist so im sticking with 7 for a bit, atleast till SP1 

There is no SP1. Service packs no longer exists for Windows.

P.S; Can you put your signature all in one line, please. Thanks

I have been using Windows 8 on my PC since release date. Everything works, all games runs great (even old games such as Generals, Rise of Nations, GTA 3, CS 1.6 etc.), no driver issues. I am using Pokki start menu, with boot in to desktop, so that I do not have to use Modern UI (because I don't like it).

--- Where amazing happens ---

windown 7 64bit or windows 8 64bit for gaming ?

I would recommend that you get Windows 8 64 bit. As a rule of thumb, it is always better to get the newest software as it will be supported for longer and have newer features. I would also recommend that you get your own opinion on the Modern UI before just hating it because the loud haters do. Form your own opinion and then decide whether or not you want to install a start button. I honestly think you will find after getting used to it that it's a very decent experience with a lot of cool options. Now, my own laptop does run Windows 7, but I have tried W8 on various occasions and I can easily imagine how I would set up the Modern UI myself.

As far as gaming goes, W8 is perhaps a bit faster in some cases. I would say they offer equal gaming experiences based on what I've read.

There is no SP1. Service packs no longer exists for Windows.

P.S; Can you put your signature all in one line, please. Thanks

Well Windows 8.1/Blue or what ever they are calling it ;)

Im having trouble with my signiture, I cant save any changes to it so I might see if I can get one of the mod team will change it for me?

You must spend an awful lot of time in the start menu then. Just like W7, W8 is/can be used entirely in the desktop environment, it just has a better start menu. Yes; the W8 start menu is functionally superior, and contrary to many people's ignorance, can be navigated with a mouse. People who downplay W8 need to actually use it.

This is so not true.

It works beautifully with a mouse and keyboard. I don't have a touch screen either on both my laptop and desktop, and Windows 8 is simply awesome, once you pass the learning curve.

In my job I usually end up installing software onto peoples windows 8 laptops. I very much dislike using Windows 8 without a touch screen. Its ok with a touch screen I still dont like it though.

@ Lyons, I have used Win8 before, And ive made the decision that I dont like it.

@ GoodBytes, It sucks balls with a trackpad and keyboard, never really used a mouse with it before so I cant comment on that side of things.

Remember guys, this is my personal opinion. Its true regardless of how you feel. Win8 may be awesome to use for you. But for me, I hate the crap out of it.

Wrong! Everything that works on Windows 7 works on Windows 8. ....

I ask you to install All the DLC for Arma2 without using steam and then say everything still works.

I love windows 8, but saying everything works between the OS's is an outright lie,

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Microsoft should not help support piss poor programming. All programs that follows Microsoft documentation properly, always works. In fact, if you do, a Windows 95 application will work under Windows 8, and any version in between. (assuming it's compiled for 32-bit CPU and not 16-bit). And if the game works, but not a DLC... already except for Nintendo DLC which are full games by themself, DLC are a really large rip-off. And seeing how poorly its programmed to break the game. I won't be surprised that they simply outsource the game in India or China for these DLC.

In my job I usually end up installing software onto peoples windows 8 laptops. I very much dislike using Windows 8 without a touch screen. Its ok with a touch screen I still dont like it though.
@ Lyons, I have used Win8 before, And ive made the decision that I dont like it.
@ GoodBytes, It sucks balls with a trackpad and keyboard, never really used a mouse with it before so I cant comment on that side of things.

Remember guys, this is my personal opinion. Its true regardless of how you feel. Win8 may be awesome to use for you. But for me, I hate the crap out of it.

I use a touchpad. In fact, I have Win8 on my almost 5 years laptop, and it works perfectly, as just as well as Win7.

In fact, I like WIn7 better, because a problem with all touchpads, is that it doesn't give you precision, but easy to move accross the screen. The big tiles on the Start Screen is makes it enjoyable and easy to use.

I think you forgot to install your touchapd drivers.

my comment still stands. "piss poor programming" is common enough to make your statement about everything works false, because it doesn't.

Everything else you've stated in the thread I agree with, except that one point. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Microsoft should not help support piss poor programming. All programs that follows Microsoft documentation properly, always works. In fact, if you do, a Windows 95 application will work under Windows 8, and any version in between. (assuming it's compiled for 32-bit CPU and not 16-bit). And if the game works, but not a DLC... already except for Nintendo DLC which are full games by themself, DLC are a really large rip-off. And seeing how poorly its programmed to break the game. I won't be surprised that they simply outsource the game in India or China for these DLC.

I use a touchpad. In fact, I have Win8 on my almost 5 years laptop, and it works perfectly, as just as well as Win7.

In fact, I like WIn7 better, because a problem with all touchpads, is that it doesn't give you precision, but easy to move accross the screen. The big tiles on the Start Screen is makes it enjoyable and easy to use.

I think you forgot to install your touchapd drivers.

Apologies milord. I forgot I was not allowed an opinion. I shall not make this mistake again.

Mainstream games work just fine in my experience, and I absolutely love how it looks. I've never had any problems with the interface after installing a start menu, and game stability/speed is fine.

I am going back to 7, though. Once you go past mainstream titles and get into more indie or unknown/international games (Touhou and DJMax for me personally), and even modding games like Skyrim, you start to see more and more problems. I agree with GoodByte in that it's the programming side of things (although I wouldn't go so far as to say "piss-poor), it is a problem for gamers, there's no denying that, and until Windows 8 gets supported more, it is something that will affect gamers' OS decisions.

Wrong! Everything that works on Windows 7 works on Windows 8.

You're wrong you can not run unassigned divers so people using arduino software have to hack win 8.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You're wrong you can not run unassigned divers so people using arduino software have to hack win 8.

You have to back to XP or 32-bit Windows then. Because Windows 7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit cannot run unsigned drivers.

If the driver is genuine, they can have it signed.

I have no problem runnig Adruino software on Windows 8 64-bit, by the way. I made my little robot project under Windows 8.

prj.jpg

I have just got a new laptop with Windows 8 pre installed I spent some time trying to find the shutdown button :P to be honest I think that Windows 7 is a winning design for the operating system, then Microsoft ruined the design with Windows 8 so personally I prefer windows 7

Yea, I agree, that's a pain. However, you can hit the power button. It's rumored to be improved (among many other things) in Windows 8.1

Some people, added a shortcut entry to the power menu (Win+X or right-click at the bottom left corner of the screen).

I just do Win+I and have access to the button there.

Microsoft is pushing since Vista, to put the computer to sleep rather then shutdown, as there isn't much purpose to turn off a system a, really. And I agree. Even my desktop, I always put it to sleep unless I am opening the inside of my computer for cleaning or upgrading. As for my laptop I only really do it, if I know I won't be using it the next day. It can stays days in sleep.. I never tested it, but I won't be surprised if it passes a week. And that's with Hybrid Sleep feature turned off (this is a feature that hibernates the computer while sleeping after a long period of time). It must be noted that I have 10h of battery life with my laptop (originally.. now after 2 years 7h (my laptop is 5 years old, but I changed the battery 2 years ago)).

In my own experience, Windows 8 isn't quite as good as Windows 7 for games. At least not yet. I still haven't been able to get StarCraft to run successfully on Windows 8, as it crashes each time I complete any mission. It functions flawlessly on Windows 7 however.

That said, as has been mentioned before, it seems that newer games run better overall in Windows 8 with a slightly higher minimum FPS. So from my experience I'd say if you play a lot of older games, stick with Windows 7 - and if you play more modern games, jump to Windows 8. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Are you sure you got the latest drivers? Try the latest beta drivers if you have an AMD card.

'cause I play SC2, both Heart of Swarm and Wings of liberty on my desktop and laptop, and both are solid on Win8.

You know what? I think the entire problem and why people have problem with games is AMD fault. Nvidia had issues with Vista and took ages to fix their drivers, now it looks like it's AMD turn. I am sorry but the correlation is too big to brush the statement off.. at least on this forum. And Linus talk about issues when they did their Win8 benchmarks long time ago in video, and I think it was AMD card if I recall correctly.

That might explain why there is this fight going here, where people can't get their games working on Win8, and other, like myself, can without issue.

I'd like to confirm this with you guys. That would be an intresting find.

Indeed my GPU is no longer supported by AMD. The latest driver release was for Vista, which is frustrating as Windows 7 came out very shortly afterwards.

It would be nice if all these incompatibility issues were down to AMD's driver support. Come to think of it I haven't heard complaints from any NVidia card users...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Unless you really dont want to change, go with windows 8. It boots up wayyy faster.

Build: Fx-8120@4.1ghz,  Gtx770@1.0ghz,  16gb Patriot memory,  Cheap case from thermaltake

Unless you really dont want to change, go with windows 8. It boots up wayyy faster.

Get an SSD.

1291131680_two-thumbs-up.jpg

Lol. Boot times be gone!!! or shorter...or something.   ^__^

Windows 8 makes your computer boot this fast:

The SSD does not. It makes Windows load faster, but does not take advantage of UEFI, which means your system takes a while before laoding Windows when you hit the power button.

Get windows 8 man, if you've seen Linus' video, it shows that games run better on W8. And W8 has had a makeover under the hood so it's cleaner than W7. And anyway its a new OS so why not get it!? :P

I have just got a new laptop with Windows 8 pre installed I spent some time trying to find the shutdown button :P to be honest I think that Windows 7 is a winning design for the operating system, then Microsoft ruined the design with Windows 8 so personally I prefer windows 7

Just for future reference...

Power button on your case

Alt + F4 on desktop

Alt + I on desktop then Power

Charms menu > Settings > Power (I'm guessing you found this one)

Ctrl+Alt+Del then icon on bottom-right

Start > Sign out > icon on bottom right

So, is the Win 8 better than the Win 7 for gaming ? 

Windows 7 .. win 8 can't even run cod 4.

Windows 8 - Higher performance and the way forward. You are going to have to learn Win8 the layout system one day or another.

Looking on the web, it seams that people got CoD 4 running.

It seams that the problem is PunkBuster an anti-cheating system, thinks that you cheated because system files has changed.

Like EVERY version of Windos, you are going to have a few select games that needs a Google search to find it how to make it work.