Effective inexpensive CPU cooler recommendations

Ambrother

Hi I’m about to refresh a pc and I’m stuck on a decent cpu cooler that isn’t an aio. Noctua and a dark rock pro cost as much as a 120 aio here. Any recommendations for one to fit in an s340 elite 

cpu is either i5 8400 or 8600

Uh... what CPU is it?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Uh... what CPU is it?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Uh... what CPU is it?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Uh... what CPU is it?

Sorry though I added it my bad. Depending what I can grab but it will be likely an i5 8400 or if available 8600 

7 minutes ago, Ambrother said:

Sorry though I added it my bad. Depending what I can grab but it will be likely an i5 8400 or if available 8600 

Stock heatsink.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

4 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Stock heatsink.

Really? Don't 8th gen chips have really shitty thermals? 

OP, the noctua and dark rock pro will out perform a 120mm AIO. Otherwise there's always the hyper 212, although I'd want something bigger for the 8th gen intel. Go check the air coolers recommendation and buy something in the "Better than Hyper 212 bracket". The higher you go, the better cooling you'll get.

I would just look through whatever site you're going to be buying from, searching for each of the coolers and buy the one that looks the best/matches your case/ you like the best. (So long as it's in the "better 212" or higher category.) 

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Provided OP's PC has adequate airflow, the stock heatsink should be enough. It'll just run louder and warmer than an aftermarket solution. 

24 minutes ago, Ambrother said:

Noctua and a dark rock pro cost as much as a 120 aio here.

and also beat 120mm aios by quite a lot in pretty much every way ;) 

anyway a cheap air cooler would be the gammaxx 400, performance is around the hyper 212, a bit better and it can be had cheaper generally

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's a shame the artic freezer esports one isn't mentioned yet. It's the best air cooler imo on a low budget, but It's not for sale everywhere, as artic is a german company

52 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Nope. It's mainly due to settings like Asus' Multicore Enhancement being left on by default which is essentially an auto oc that temps seem high. 

When it comes to locked chips like the 8400 / 8600, the stock cooler is fine. 

If you want something quieter, PR Slim is good: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

37 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

what exactly is your budget? would you mind buying overseas?

the AUD to USD conversion is bassically null and void and is comparable price especially when it's min $30 in shipping alone to bring it over. 

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

what exactly is your budget? would you mind buying overseas?

For the cooler alone? Anywhere between 50-70 aud. The current cpu is a LGA 1150 socket I’ll probably just repurpose the current AIO. Especially since new cpu, ram, ssd and mobo is about $800 currently. 

I have already built a new pc just refreshing the old one for my brother. It’s still using the first ssd hdd and ddr3 ram I bought about 8-10 years ago