HD YouTube not working on Safari

Cosmos_i7

Hi guys,

I am having a problem playing YouTube videos in higher than 360p on Safari. As soon as I change the resolution the video simply refuses to play and stops loading. I can only view them in 360p. I tried using Google Chrome and that works fine and loads the videos in 1080p. I have tried refreshing several times and downloaded the latest version of Flash.

I am using Safari 6.0.3. 

Thanks

Well my experience with Chrome just got better, it looks like dynamic streaming of the videos is gone!

Well my experience with Chrome just got better, it looks like dynamic streaming of the videos is gone!

I'm using Safari not Chrome.

I'm using Safari not Chrome.

I know. I was saying that Chrome is better.

I know. I was saying that Chrome is better.

Not helpful. I prefer Safari, it works better for me than Chrome. 

Obviously not because YouTube doesn't work...

Look in my signature I have this quote that I use very often. If you have a flat tire don't replace the entire car. I don't mean to sound rude but I have an issue with one aspect of Safari, telling me chrome is better is not helping anyone here. I did not ask for a browser comparison. I use Mac OS 10.8 as well, but I avoided mentioning that because I thought people would tell me to use Windows. I'll just head over to the support forums on Apple and other sites then. 

Look in my signature I have this quote that I use very often. If you have a flat tire don't replace the entire car. I don't mean to sound rude but I have an issue with one aspect of Safari, telling me chrome is better is not helping anyone here. I did not ask for a browser comparison. I use Mac OS 10.8 as well, but I avoided mentioning that because I thought people would tell me to use Windows. I'll just head over to the support forums on Apple and other sites then. 

Just use both then... then you'll have 2 cars.

6inPZ.png

Yeah......

No offence to OP, but Safari is the Internet Explorer of the Mac world.....you just use it to download other browsers. It's not updated often and doesn't get regular feature additions, nor bug fixes.

This issue probably won't get fixed until the next major MacOS release.....

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Yeah......

No offence to OP, but Safari is the Internet Explorer of the Mac world.....you just use it to download other browsers. It's not updated often and doesn't get regular feature additions, nor bug fixes.

This issue probably won't get fixed until the next major MacOS release.....

I don't care about how bad you think Safari is or how its like IE. The fact is I asked for help on the subject and was just told to get a new browser. It's not useful advice. I bet if I didn't mention the words Apple, Safari or Mac I would have had about 20 replies by now. I am planning on updating to Mavericks soon enough once I have the time to prepare the system, for now I am on Mountain Lion and using Safari 6. I will update and see how Safari 7 is on Mac. Next major Mac OS release is already out. It's called 10.9 Mavericks.... I'm on 10.8 as I mentioned. 

Please give me the source where Safari isn't regularly updated, doesn't get bug fixes or feature editions. Because I am pretty sure that's what they did with Safari 7 update. The issue here is to do with Adobe Flash not being optimised. In my opinion HTML 5 is far superior but I wouldn't go around telling people to uninstall Flash because I think its bad. Same reason here. 

I don't care about how bad you think Safari is or how its like IE. The fact is I asked for help on the subject and was just told to get a new browser. It's not useful advice. I bet if I didn't mention the words Apple, Safari or Mac I would have had about 20 replies by now. I am planning on updating to Mavericks soon enough once I have the time to prepare the system, for now I am on Mountain Lion and using Safari 6. I will update and see how Safari 7 is on Mac. Next major Mac OS release is already out. It's called 10.9 Mavericks.... I'm on 10.8 as I mentioned.

Please give me the source where Safari isn't regularly updated, doesn't get bug fixes or feature editions. Because I am pretty sure that's what they did with Safari 7 update. The issue here is to do with Adobe Flash not being optimised. In my opinion HTML 5 is far superior but I wouldn't go around telling people to uninstall Flash because I think its bad. Same reason here.

Each major release of safari is usually related to the version of macOS (the same as IE does in windows). Between OS releases all you get is security patches (unless apple have changed that)
Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Each major release of safari is usually related to the version of macOS (the same as IE does in windows). Between OS releases all you get is security patches (unless apple have changed that)

http://www.apple.com/uk/safari/

Have a read of that and tell me where the only new feature is security patches. I'm pretty sure it has more than security patches. I get it you don't like Apple. Guess what though, I do! Safari is my choice of web browser since I am used to using it and have been for the past 5 years. I don't plan to use another browser which I am not comfortable using and having to relearn all the shortcuts that I picked up when I use Safari. There is more to a web browser other than what you think is best. 

http://www.apple.com/uk/safari/

Have a read of that and tell me where the only new feature is security patches. I'm pretty sure it has more than security patches. I get it you don't like Apple. Guess what though, I do! Safari is my choice of web browser since I am used to using it and have been for the past 5 years. I don't plan to use another browser which I am not comfortable using and having to relearn all the shortcuts that I picked up when I use Safari. There is more to a web browser other than what you think is best.

Christ you somehow entirely missed what I was saying. Do I need to put it in dot form for you to understand?

Both Windows and Apple employ the same practice, so I have no idea where you got that this is an mac vs windows thing.

New features/major bug fixes = major release

Major release = New OS

What you linked me is the new safari FROM A NEW OS. So of course there will be new features!! Duh.

Both apple and Microsoft only pump out security fixes and vital bug fixes between there being a new OS/browser release. This is where the browsers suffer compare to Firefox/chrome.

Have you tried Firefox? It's very simular to safari from my own testing.

Christ you somehow entirely missed what I was saying. Do I need to put it in dot form for you to understand?

Both Windows and Apple employ the same practice, so I have no idea where you got that this is an mac vs windows thing.

New features/major bug fixes = major release

Major release = New OS

What you linked me is the new safari FROM A NEW OS. So of course there will be new features!! Duh.

Both apple and Microsoft only pump out security fixes and vital bug fixes between there being a new OS/browser release. This is where the browsers suffer compare to Firefox/chrome.

Have you tried Firefox? It's very simular to safari from my own testing.

PLEASE STOP TELLING ME OTHER BROWSERS!!!

If you have nothing to add to this conversation I suggest you leave. If you have no experience with Safari or a solution to this problem other than changing the entire browser then also please leave. You're not helping one bit and I don't care about your browser suggestions. 

Have you bothered checking if you can prevent Safari from updating and use an older version?

After I installed IE11, I had a few issues that were solved with a full clearing of temp files/cookies and resetting the browser settings I had. Maybe give that a shot. My problem stemmed from websites' cookies and such saving specific stuff that only worked for IE10, so when I updated there were loads of conflicts. No big deal, but I only needed to reset my browser settings, so try that first, if anything. Not saying it'll work, just wanted to give you ideas.

Have you bothered checking if you can prevent Safari from updating and use an older version?

After I installed IE11, I had a few issues that were solved with a full clearing of temp files/cookies and browser settings reset. Maybe give that a shot. My problem stemmed from websites' cookies and such saving specific stuff that only worked for IE10, so when I updated there were loads of conflicts. No big deal, but I only needed to reset my browser settings, so try that first, if anything. Not saying it'll work, just wanted to give you ideas.

Yh I tried backdating my Flash but it refused to for security reasons. I'm not sure of a way of backdating Safari though, may wait and see how it goes after I update to Safari 7. Possibly fixed on there. I know my iMac which is running 10.9 along with Safari 7 loads videos fine and my MacBook Air. Just got to find some time and update. 

Cosmos_i7, on 12 Jan 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Yh I tried backdating my Flash but it refused to for security reasons. I'm not sure of a way of backdating Safari though, may wait and see how it goes after I update to Safari 7. Possibly fixed on there. I know my iMac which is running 10.9 along with Safari 7 loads videos fine and my MacBook Air. Just got to find some time and update. 

Sorry, I meant older version of Safari. Flash should always be updated due to security reasons and more compatibility with sites. Good luck with that, I have a feeling it may work.

PLEASE STOP TELLING ME OTHER BROWSERS!!!

If you have nothing to add to this conversation I suggest you leave. If you have no experience with Safari or a solution to this problem other than changing the entire browser then also please leave. You're not helping one bit and I don't care about your browser suggestions. 

I agree that Safari is better on a mac than any other browser. It's the only one with smooth zooming and can handle all the gestures properly for example. Because it is optimized for the mac. 

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

You don't have to switch to a different browser, you can use it in addition to safari, it's not like you can only have one browser open ;)

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE