1st Time Build - Shall I give it a year?

SpamBrie

Hi everyone. Been watching Linus and a few other review sites and channels for around a month now. I really want to build my on PC. I have fiddled around with computer components alot so I know how everything works although I am no expert. I am curruntly running an Alienware M11x (yeah I know Alienware BOOOOO but I picked it up for around £300 3 years ago) and have been running it since. To put that into perspective for you guys it runs a low end Core 2 Duo clocked at 1.6 GHz and an nvidia 335m. I struggle to get average framerate above 20 in games like GTA, Dishonerd etc. You can see why I want to upgrade.

Anyway I've been playing around alot with different possibilities for my price range and have come up for a few parts that I am more than likely going to get. My hard drive is probbably going to be a Seagate Momentus XT which is a Hybrid Drive because I can't afford an SSD and a HDD and I currently have one in my laptop. Also I'm torn between the Corsair 300D and the Bitfenix Shinobi.

I have a budget of £600 to £700 around $850 to $1000.

I will need a :

• CPU
  • Mobo
  • GPU
  • Ram
  • Hard Drive
  • Power Supply
  • Case
  • Windows 7 64bit
  • EDIT: Also CPU Cooler depending on CPU

I may also build my own case or at least some heavy modding.

Or is it worth giving it until about January next year with around £400($600) extra?

​Thank You for reading and any help will be greatly appreciated.

You can upgrade now, you will be able to play at decent framerate.

But you can wait for a year if you really want to have an high end gaming rig. it's up to you ;)

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Coming up with a parts list for you now with that you should be able to get a 8350 and a 7870XT but that will be with a 1TB hard drive I'd recommend just buying an SSD when you can like I did, well worth it. uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Willson94/saved/1tKp

Coming up with a parts list for you now with that you should be able to get a 8350 and a 7870XT but that will be with a 1TB hard drive I'd recommend just buying an SSD when you can like I did, well worth it. uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Willson94/saved/1tKp
Heres what £729 can get you uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Willson94/saved/1tKp

Coming up with a parts list for you now with that you should be able to get a 8350 and a 7870XT but that will be with a 1TB hard drive I'd recommend just buying an SSD when you can like I did' date=' well worth it. uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Willson94/saved/1tKp[/quote']

Good rig :D i would recomend the same. If you really want to be under£700 you can replace the fx 8350 with a fx 6300, it's really enough for gaming

I7 4770K - @4.5Ghz  |  Be quiet Dark Rock Pro 3  | Asus Maximus VII Ranger Z97  | Kingston Genesis 8GB | Be quiet Power Zone 750w   | Sapphire R9 Fury X |  Sandisk SSD 120Go + WD Green 1TB 7200 rpm | Nzxt Phantom 410

Thanks for the responses guys!

I think I'm just going to wait a year maybe spend some time designing and making myself a case until then.

I'd recommend this:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/R6Go

Don't see too much to save up more in my opinion, a 7870XT would be enough to run most games on high/ultra settings anyways. Also opted for a 120GB SSD, I think it'll be worth the extra costs of a hybrid drive given the current prices. They are nice for laptops where space is an issue, but otherwise you do end up compromising performance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but adding an SSD later may also be a good choice, as recommended above. With that, you could even stretch for a HD7950.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/R6Nw

$1000 is the sweet spot. It is the perfect value/performance range and you can get some good stuff.

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

I think I'm gonna go with this if I can find £100 soon:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£101.94 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£64.58 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£44.99 @ Ebuyer)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£69.96 @ Amazon UK)

Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£157.00 @ Amazon UK)

Case: BitFenix Shinobi ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.90 @ Amazon UK)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£61.13 @ Amazon UK)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)

Total: £617.89

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-21 19:12 BST+0100)

You should go with another motherboard, this board can't overclock much.

Also you can change your western digital for a seagate hard drive, it's cheaper

i'd go 8350 with a board of your choice as i'm not really too familiar with am3+ boards and a 660/660ti depending on total cost any 8gb ram kit corsair/kingston/gskill/patriot whatever you prefer 600w PSU 700w if you want room for upgrades and have enough budget left for case define r4 from fractal one my new favorite cases at that price point can't really go wrong and probably a corsair hydro series cooler

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

i'd go 8350 with a board of your choice as i'm not really too familiar with am3+ boards and a 660/660ti depending on total cost any 8gb ram kit corsair/kingston/gskill/patriot whatever you prefer 600w PSU 700w if you want room for upgrades and have enough budget left for case define r4 from fractal one my new favorite cases at that price point can't really go wrong and probably a corsair hydro series cooler
and a seagate barracuda :P

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |