Looking for a decent laptop

Hello, community!

This is my first time posting in these forums and I was hoping to have others' perspectives on what would be a decent laptop for my specific situation. I will be starting school soon for Cybersecurity and I'm looking for a laptop that will suit my needs for both school and some gaming. By gaming, I mean relatively light games, such as League of Legends or Overwatch. I want to make sure it is both strong enough for those but also reliable for my classes. I have heard that the Razer Blade would be a good pickup since I would be able to enhance the experience later with an external GPU. However, I want to make sure I'm not just buying a brand name as I have had and still use their peripherals, but have never experienced their computers. I think the most I can spend at this moment is around $1800 and I'm sure I can just pick up anything with an amazing GPU, however, I need it to be portable for school but not a thermal trap either and a decent build quality would not hurt.

Thanks in advance,

Giancarlo

EDIT: I should probably also add, while $1800 is my budget if you can save me more money I would not mind at all.

32 minutes ago, RagtagMisfit said:

Hello, community!

This is my first time posting in these forums and I was hoping to have others' perspectives on what would be a decent laptop for my specific situation. I will be starting school soon for Cybersecurity and I'm looking for a laptop that will suit my needs for both school and some gaming. By gaming, I mean relatively light games, such as League of Legends or Overwatch. I want to make sure it is both strong enough for those but also reliable for my classes. I have heard that the Razer Blade would be a good pickup since I would be able to enhance the experience later with an external GPU. However, I want to make sure I'm not just buying a brand name as I have had and still use their peripherals, but have never experienced their computers. I think the most I can spend at this moment is around $1800 and I'm sure I can just pick up anything with an amazing GPU, however, I need it to be portable for school but not a thermal trap either and a decent build quality would not hurt.

Thanks in advance,

Giancarlo

EDIT: I should probably also add, while $1800 is my budget if you can save me more money I would not mind at all.

Imo razer is not a good idea(its wayyyyy too overpriced). I would recommend looking at something like the Asus UX430UN-GV027. It's got a mx150 and core i7 8500u which should be plenty for your needs. It starts in my country at around 1900 but in the us or other parts of the world, would probably cost you around 1200 us dollars 

Just now, Tommybobberson said:

Imo razer is not a good idea(its wayyyyy too overpriced). I would recommend looking at something like the Asus UX430UN-GV027. It's got a mx150 and core i7 8500u which should be plenty for your needs. It starts in my country at around 1900 but in the us or other parts of the world, would probably cost you around 1200 us dollars 

I should also add that this is for the 513 gig SSD and 16gb ram variant. If you want to save money you can go for the cheaper variants or if you really don't mind, the i5 variant which will still suffice 

With those games you might be able to get away with integrated graphics as long as you don’t need high frame rates. That would save a lot of money. 

2 minutes ago, NeuesTestament said:

With those games you might be able to get away with integrated graphics as long as you don’t need high frame rates. That would save a lot faster money. 

True 

Thank you for the replies guys. I think I have my answer, I noticed I do want my fps to be at least 60 for those games and if the display is only 60Hz I could always hook it up to my BenQ monitor which I've had for years now.

Again, thank you both for the help.

PS. I will keep checking back here in case anyone else has any other suggestions.

3 hours ago, RagtagMisfit said:

Thank you for the replies guys. I think I have my answer, I noticed I do want my fps to be at least 60 for those games and if the display is only 60Hz I could always hook it up to my BenQ monitor which I've had for years now.

Again, thank you both for the help.

PS. I will keep checking back here in case anyone else has any other suggestions.

If you want no dips below 60 then you should go for the mx150

20 hours ago, RagtagMisfit said:

snip

Location? Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Need a good dGPU?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128