Half of Files are 'lost'!

ZFGeek
Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,

Looks like your Windows got some corruption going on. Reinstall is the easiest fix.

So, when I go to open some of my files on my laptop, it comes up with the error in this screenshot. It is only with certain files, and some I freshly download as well. Some of windows tools are inaccessible! I tried doing multiple hard drive scans, and they come back normal. What is going on?

file error.PNG

Looks like your Windows got some corruption going on. Reinstall is the easiest fix.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I've done that twice actually... I've been having this problem, I just didn't realize that it went as far as system tools, so I ignored it. Now I know the problem is serious, and I need to figure it out. Plus, I have a lot of sensitive files on here that I'd like to keep, and a reinstall would delete all of them.(it took me 3 hours to transfer them to this computer after the old one almost died!) It is almost like the reinstall files are corrupted too, but I don't know.

@NelizMastr, is there a way of backing up ALL of my files in one place without painstakingly copying every file separately? I may have just reintalled using the wrong process. I was using a reinstall that saved all the files.

2 minutes ago, ZFGeek said:

@NelizMastr, is there a way of backing up ALL of my files in one place without painstakingly copying every file separately? I may have just reintalled using the wrong process. I was using a reinstall that saved all the files.

When your source OS is already FUBAR, I'd reinstall using a fresh install medium, using the media creation tool for Windows 10 from microsoft.com.

There's no way to back-up everything easily, that's why I keep all my data in my user folders. Just copy your entire user folder if you do the same. If you store files in all kinds of places and on the C drive in random folders you'll have to do it manually.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, ZFGeek said:

Can also try running command prompt as admin and typing  SFC /scannow

It may or may not be able to fix it.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

Can also try running command prompt as admin and typing  SFC /scannow

I just tried that, and it says that it can't find the file. I can access command prompt, but not admin command prompt. 

All this sounds like malware/virus to me; some of them delete regedit.exe and other system-tools in an effort to prevent people from so easily removing the malware/viruses.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Oops...I haven't scanned this computer since I got it... I could've sworn I did. Scanning now.

AVG antivirus didn't find anything, checking for malware now...

There isn't any malware or viruses on my computer, I may have to back up my files and fresh reinstall Windows. Thanks guys for the help!

Did you install your SATA controller drivers and chipset drivers (may include SATA controller drivers that you use inside)?

Keep in mind that will not fix files.

You'll need to clean install Windows, and this time pick 'Load Drivers" on the drive selection screen and pick the uncompressed SATA controller driver *.inf file (Windows is not installed, it can't run .exe's). You'll find them on the motherboard website. Be sure to extract the files first (again, as Windows is not installed, you can't run exe's so you can't extract .zip files like you can in Windows once installed)