new phone (~400 euros budget)

LukeSavenije

I've been looking for a phone recently, as my huawei p8 lite is dying. it can't connect to wifi, headphone jack is broke. It's time for a new one!

I would like a flagship killer this time, for around 400 euros as a maximum budget. I have a standalone camera, so a nice camera is nice, but not a requirement, don't care about the brand, as long as it is android. Shopping in the Netherlands. Would like a snapdragon 845/835/kirin 970/980/exynos exuivelent.

I've been looking around a bit already, and to give you an idea of the pricing, I'm going to list some I would like

Honor play (64 gigs, starting at 279)

Honor 10 (64 gigs, starting at 299)

Pocophone f1 (64 gigs, starting at 339)

Pocophone f1 (128 gigs, starting at 354)

Xiaomi mix 2s (64 gigs, starting at 369)

Xiaomi mi 8 (64 gigs, starting at 387)

honor 10 (128 gigs, starting at 398)

LG G7 Thinq (64 gigs, starting at 427)

Xiaomi mi 8 (128 gigs, starting at 429)

Huawei p20 (64 gigs, starting at 430)

Huawei mate 10 pro (128 gigs, starting at 444)

what would you guys suggest?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I've been looking for a phone recently, as my huawei p8 lite is dying. it can't connect to wifi, headphone jack is broke. It's time for a new one!

I would like a flagship killer this time, for around 400 euros as a maximum budget. I have a standalone camera, so a nice camera is nice, but not a requirement, don't care about the brand, as long as it is android. Shopping in the Netherlands. Would like a snapdragon 845/835/kirin 970/980/exynos exuivelent.

I've been looking around a bit already, and to give you an idea of the pricing, I'm going to list some I would like

I personally recommend the LG G7.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just now, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I personally recommend the LG G7.

do you mind explaining a bit?

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

do you mind explaining a bit?

Well first it has a Quad DAC headphone jack, allowing it to power high end headphones, it has LG's amazing "manual mode" (a camera mode) which allows you to control things like ISO, exposure, white balance, RAW photos, and etc. allowing you to take near professional grade photos if you know what you are doing,it can record FLAC audio, it also has a snapdragon 845, and etc.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well first it has a Quad DAC headphone jack, allowing it to power high end headphones, it has LG's amazing "manual mode" which allows you to control things like ISO, exposure, white balance, RAW photos, and etc. allowing you to take near professional grade photos if you know what you are doing,it can record FLAC audio, it also has a snapdragon 845, and etc.

hm... not that I have any higher end headphones, but it does sound interesting. I'll keep that in mind. But I'll wait for some others too. anyone here gets an equal chance to recommend

25 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

would avoid this one. suffers from thin tempered glass on the front iirc. the Mate 9 Pro had the same issues and its not very nice. also android skin isnt great.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

would avoid this one. suffers from thin tempered glass on the front iirc. the Mate 9 Pro had the same issues and its not very nice. also android skin isnt great.

that first one sounds fair, enough for me to avoid it for now. but that second one isn't a problem, as I can live with almost any skin. I even liked the poco skin, as I used it for 2 days when my father got a new phone

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

that first one sounds fair, enough for me to avoid it for now. but that second one isn't a problem, as I can live with almost any skin. I even liked the poco skin, as I used it for 2 days when my father got a new phone

as an owner of the Mate 9 Pro who discovered the gragile glass relativly late its not an major issue, but you will find it breaking easier than some other phones. ( i discovered it after the 1st crack had formed, if you were wondering) otherwise its a pretty good phone. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

as an owner of the Mate 9 Pro who discovered the gragile glass relativly late its not an major issue, but you will find it breaking easier than some other phones. ( i discovered it after the 1st crack had formed, if you were wondering) otherwise its a pretty good phone. 

well, I just listed it because it was there, but it's something to keep in mind too. anything I would have missed about the other ones?

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, I just listed it because it was there, but it's something to keep in mind too. anything I would have missed about the other ones?

otherwise the lineup looks fine. i dont have any perticular remarks about any of the phones. at least at this point in time

On 12/13/2018 at 4:41 AM, LukeSavenije said:

Hey we spoke earlier on my thread and I said I recommended the Pocophone F1 due to its larger battery and supposedly batter cooling performance. I see that the G7 is also quite a good deal here at a lower price than the Mi 8. 

I wouldn’t go for the Huaweis and honors here since they use the Kirin 970 which is slightly worse than the 835. Not saying it’s a bad chip. I’m assuming performance is your priority here. So if you can get more of it, then why not. Another phone you can probably get is the Honor Magic 2. I mentioned it earlier and it seems a bit out of your Budget I assumed. But it has an awesome screen to body ratio and the Kirin 980 is the best you can get on the android side. Not sure what you think about about the slider though . Also there is the ZenFone 5z, but my opinions on that phone are meh.

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.5GHz, -0.1v Offset), Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO, MSI Z690 Force WiFi, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36, 500GB WD Black SN850, 500GB WD Black SN750, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUPhanteks P500a Digital 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Dell S3422DWG 34 inch 144Hz QHD Ultrawide Monitor, Logitech G815 Lightsync, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, Sennheiser HD 560s, Cooler Master MH630

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2021),  AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU, 2x8GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung PM991a

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 256Gb Graygreen, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 128GB (Running Pixel Experience Android 13)

2 minutes ago, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

Hey we spoke earlier on my thread and I said I recommended the Pocophone F1 due to its larger battery and supposedly batter cooling performance. I see that the G7 is also quite a good deal here at a lower price than the Mi 8. 

I wouldn’t go for the Huaweis and honors here since they use the Kirin 970 which is slightly worse than the 835. Not saying it’s a bad chip. I’m assuming performance is your priority here. So if you can get more of it, then why not. Another phone you can probably get is the Honor Magic 2. I mentioned it earlier and it seems a bit out of your Budget I assumed. But it has an awesome screen to body ratio and the Kirin 980 is the best you can get on the android side. Not sure what you think about about the slider though . Also there is the ZenFone 5z, but my opinions on that phone are meh.

well, to start. the magic 2 and Zenfone aren't available here. Performence isn't a priority here. I just want the best I can get for my money.

btw, I've used the pocophone for about 2 days because I had to make it ready for my dad, so I'm just looking at my options

17 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

btw, I've used the pocophone for about 2 days because I had to make it ready for my dad, so I'm just looking at my options

It’s a bit difficult for me to pick between the LG G7 and the Pocophone but I’ll let you choose by stating the good points of the phone.

Pocophone:

Cheaper

Runs cooler 

Better Battery

More durable

LG G7:

More premium

Dat quad dac tho

Better camera

NFC?

IP68

Wireless charging

Basically the pocophone is more geared towards enthusiasts while the G7 is for the wider normal audience. UI wise it’s up to you and also there’s the pocophone Netflix fiasco thing. 

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.5GHz, -0.1v Offset), Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO, MSI Z690 Force WiFi, ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3070 OC, 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB DDR5-6000 CL36, 500GB WD Black SN850, 500GB WD Black SN750, 4TB Toshiba N300, Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular PSUPhanteks P500a Digital 

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Dell S3422DWG 34 inch 144Hz QHD Ultrawide Monitor, Logitech G815 Lightsync, Logitech G703 Lightspeed, Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed, Sennheiser HD 560s, Cooler Master MH630

Laptops:

Spoiler

Razer Blade 14 (2021),  AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU, 2x8GB DDR4, 1TB Samsung PM991a

Phones:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4 5G 256Gb Graygreen, Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 128GB (Running Pixel Experience Android 13)

1 minute ago, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

Basically the pocophone is more geared towards enthusiasts while the G7 is for the wider normal audience. UI wise it’s up to you and also there’s the pocophone Netflix fiasco thing. 

well, nice to make a row out of it. Thanks for that. btw, I don't even have netflix, so nothing to worry about there

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, nice to make a row out of it. Thanks for that. btw, I don't even have netflix, so nothing to worry about there

Well, the ball is in your court now. It’s up to you to make the final decision. Glhf :)

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Idkwhat2putheresowhatever said:

Well, the ball is in your court now. It’s up to you to make the final decision. Glhf :)

thanks! I'll have a hard time...

9 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

thanks! I'll have a hard time...

And also if you decide to get an Huawei phone do look out as most of them don’t have headphone jacks. The newer ones that is.

Main Desktop:

Spoiler

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

Phones:

Spoiler

I was playing with a Poco F1 yesterday at MI store and first impressions were okay-ish. Phone was smooth(obviously) but Poco cutting corners is very evident with the build quality. The plastic felt durable but felt cheap-ish in the hand. (Don't hate on me, That's how i felt)

The vibration motor though is Miles ahead of what you get on similarly priced phones.

4 hours ago, MagnumOpus said:

I was playing with a Poco F1 yesterday at MI store and first impressions were okay-ish. Phone was smooth(obviously) but Poco cutting corners is very evident with the build quality. The plastic felt durable but felt cheap-ish in the hand. (Don't hate on me, That's how i felt)

The vibration motor though is Miles ahead of what you get on similarly priced phones.

Yeah, I played for it for a couple days too. That's making my choice even harder

1 hour ago, MagnumOpus said:

Asus Zenfone 5Z is a good phone(I dunno if its available in your region though)

Well, I said above that it wasn't available, but it's just out of budget

Just on paper, Mi 8 > LG G7 easy:

- 6gb Ram instead of 4. If you do the "math"

- double internal storage

- Oled screen (G7 has a VERY bright screen, but it's still only LCD. Won't have the best contrast).

- Better Camera (LG G7 has not the best camera. It's okay, it's fine, it's good compared to those on the List. But it doesn't come close to Pixel 2, Galaxy S8/9,  P20 Pro / Mate 20 etc etc. A great Pro mode doesn't change that ^^).

For these Prices, i would NOT get the Pocophone.

Mi 8 is SO Much better in many aspects than the Pocophone, and it costs "only" 50 bucks more, that's totally worth it.

Much better screen, better camera (OIS), NFC, Much better premium feel (build quality is fine). Pocophone comes with stereo speakers and a hgue 4000 mAh Battery.

Well, many on that List have their own Pros and cons.

But the term "Flaggship killer"... yea... None of that is one. Galaxy Note 9 and Huawei mate 20 Pro. THESE are real flaggship killers.

Pocophone is at best a midrange killer (i don't know why so many people refer to the Pocophone as THE Flaggship killer right now. There isn't a single Flaggship it can "kill". Except in Pricing.

LG G7 is a solid 2018 flaggship. On Display i would rather have seen Oled, instead a (very bright) LCD. Those blacks tho....

And the Cameras are only average~. Still, decent/okay for the Price.

Keep in Mind, there's a reason LG phones drop in price much faster and more than almost any other Flaggshipp phone.

Xiaomi Mi 8 is also a true 2018 flaggship (true = without compromises/cutting corners). Oled, one of the best cameras (according to DXOMark. And it will get better, once it got the same update the Mi Mix 3 has - same cameras, but more DxO Mark points), has pretty much everything.

Also, a bigger battery than the LG G7, which is a bit small with only 3000 for a Flaggship this Size.

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

yeah, it only misses the headphone jack... But that's the first thing that broke on my last two phones, so it might be better for me. keeping it in mind too, but I still can't make a choise

well im not sure about how the rpicing will compare but assuming its somewhat similar to german pricing id suggest the xiaomi mi 8 on specs alone. 

me personally i just got the lg v30 used with the prvious owner saying its perfect expect the camera didnt focus anymore. so i bought it for 200 and talked to lg warranty support . a week later i now have a 100% brand new v30 for 200 bucks.

for the phone itself i can only recommend it. maybe i dont know a lot of phone but coming from my old sony xa ultra i love the v30.

my first phone with oled screen. design is awesome. cpu its day and night. battery lasts like 3-4 times as long compared to my old one and the LG UI is fine.

im sure most of these things just come from it being a current gen phone compared to my old one and most of the options probably offer this but still i can only speak for what ive used and the v30 is awesome. neverthless if your buying new and theres no obvious issues with the model like screens cracking easily or something id go for the mi 8

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3