Help my pc wont post after i tried to overcclock from 4.2 to 4.4 ghz

Go to solution Solved by Acid Panda,
15 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

The volatages were at the reccommended settings for my overclock according to the tutorial and my bios i bumped it up slightly to make it the reccommeded settings for 4.4 ghz..please tell me i didnt kill my motherboard or cpu??

would you please link the video

Ok heres my specs list before we get started...

A phanteks enthoo pro m SE Tempered glass panel case

Msi 970a gaming pro carbon motherboard

Amd fx 8350 cpu am3 + socket

2×4(G Skills Ripjaws DDR3 RAM OC to 2133)

Corsair H100iv2 AIO cpu cooler

GTX 1060 3GB SC

A 2 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD with ky games and programs,  a kingston 120GB SSD with my windows 10 OS on it amd my drivers of course, and a sandisk SSD plus 240 GB with a few of my Steam games on it.

Ok so i was watching a tutorial on how to use my MSI bios to overclock so i followed at the steps and after i hit the save and reset button to try to overclock my amd fx 8350 to 4.4 it reset i got a black screen no signal on my display, and the 4 post lights come on when i turn my pc on now, Boot, DRAM, CPU,and VGA.

I thought ok maybe i should try to boot with one ram stick so i did and switched to an off brand 1333 mhz DIMM, i switched out my GPU to my gtx 750ti i had laying around in an ESD protector bag, and after i switched i tried to boot still nothing, i even tried resetting the cmos jumper on my motherboard to see if that would work, still nothing, so i thought removing the battery for 5 to 10 seconds would work i tried that still nothing with the boot still the 4 same lights..i am at a crossroads here guys and gals i need some help i dont want thia to be the end of my pc i had just built this last october i dont want to see it go out like this....

did you play with the voltages much/ did you jump up in large amounts

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

The volatages were at the reccommended settings for my overclock according to the tutorial and my bios i bumped it up slightly to make it the reccommeded settings for 4.4 ghz..please tell me i didnt kill my motherboard or cpu??

8 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

Gotta give the voltage amount

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

What recommended voltage(s) did you use?

Also your DRAM overclock might not be stable with the CPU running at 4.4 GHz.

Might be a good idea to try 1866 MHz.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Are "risers" installed under the mobo? If you moved things around a lot there might be a short.

What voltage did you set it at?

15 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

would you please link the video

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

36 minutes ago, TUFGinger said:

Ok heres my specs list before we get started...

A phanteks enthoo pro m SE Tempered glass panel case

Msi 970a gaming pro carbon motherboard

Amd fx 8350 cpu am3 + socket

2×4(G Skills Ripjaws DDR3 RAM OC to 2133)

Corsair H100iv2 AIO cpu cooler

GTX 1060 3GB SC

A 2 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD with ky games and programs,  a kingston 120GB SSD with my windows 10 OS on it amd my drivers of course, and a sandisk SSD plus 240 GB with a few of my Steam games on it.

Ok so i was watching a tutorial on how to use my MSI bios to overclock so i followed at the steps and after i hit the save and reset button to try to overclock my amd fx 8350 to 4.4 it reset i got a black screen no signal on my display, and the 4 post lights come on when i turn my pc on now, Boot, DRAM, CPU,and VGA.

I thought ok maybe i should try to boot with one ram stick so i did and switched to an off brand 1333 mhz DIMM, i switched out my GPU to my gtx 750ti i had laying around in an ESD protector bag, and after i switched i tried to boot still nothing, i even tried resetting the cmos jumper on my motherboard to see if that would work, still nothing, so i thought removing the battery for 5 to 10 seconds would work i tried that still nothing with the boot still the 4 same lights..i am at a crossroads here guys and gals i need some help i dont want thia to be the end of my pc i had just built this last october i dont want to see it go out like this....

Yeah most people recommend something like 5 mins to ensure that the cmos is reset properly. 5 to 10 seconds is a very small amount of time and could result in the bios not resetting. 

So i just tried booting it up again oh the voltage i tried setting to 1.45 volts by the way. I notice a slight ticking in the power supply that wasnt There before, still all the post lights are on no bios just a black screen no display, all my fans are running though..i will also try to link the video i watched before i tried this at leaat tue most accurate one i was watching closest to it.

Update...so i opened my panel and checked the ticking noise is in fact my gpu fan not spinning now....

10 hours ago, Acid Panda said:

did you play with the voltages much/ did you jump up in large amounts

Just now, TUFGinger said:

This os the video i was watching while trying to overclock when my system crashed now with no signal my gpu fan wont power up and spin either on top of that no signal from my display either.

10 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Gotta give the voltage amount

My voltage was 1.45 i believe

10 hours ago, TUFGinger said:

My voltage was 1.45 i believe

It's a lot, but it's within safe bounds, not likely to have fried the CPU. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I have an extra mother board wirh an  am3 slot on it i am going to try out to see if any parts are damaged i appreciate everyones responses in this i hope that its just the power aupply i need to replace nd not the motherboard. Because that would suck.

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

It's a lot, but it's within safe bounds, not likely to have fried the CPU. 

I have an extra mother board with an  am3 slot on it i am going to try out to see if any parts are damaged i appreciate everyones responses in this i hope that its just the power aupply i need to replace nd not the motherboard. Because that would suck

Hey everyone update on my damaged parts it was indeed the motherboard i fried trying to overclock my msi 970a gaming pro carbon, was tue motjerboarx i was using currently with my overclock and it messed up with the 4.4 overclock of the cpu yes my voltage was about 1.45,my cpu is fine,ram,gpu,psu,etc. Unfortunately though my motherboard i cannot get another of but the one i post tested on i may have to use for now its an Asus Sabretooth 990fx R2.0 it will support my amd fx 8350 it will have to do for now.