Building yourself

generalpompeyo

Hello everyone,

Very soon I'll be building my very first Pc Built! Back in september, after long weeks of consideration, I decided to sell my Macbook pro and invest in building a Pc, which strangely was, until now, one of my unrealised hobbies. I must confess that researching the components, selecting them, buying them at the best price possible and finaly recieving them one by one, has been a mighty encouraging and satisfying experience. For what its worth, I would like to share this story with the readers here.

A huge advantage of pc building over any other hardware interaction is that it has taught me how a computer works, and by extention how any other computing device works too. I see now that they all have roughly the same parts, like a motherboard, or a source of power. In this sens, Pc building is more transparent than manufactured products (malus pumila), more transparent than having an impenetrable object that only contains mysteries.

It has also given me a strong sens of accomplishement and self worth, I've build a much more powerfull system than my Macbook pro. You could suggest at this point that I didin't truly build the computer, that I just bought the parts and will assemble them soon. Yes, this is true, but nevertheless in doing so I have accomplished much more, in knowledge and understanding, than just buying a product that is ready tu use. I think this a fair claim.

I'm still at work, more pictures to follow.

I'm curious to know if anyone feels or felt a similar sensation after building their first Pc.

Update* 10 dec.

I haven't revieved my case yet. Protests in Paris have prevented this  : (

I couldn't wait any longer so I built the system on top of the motherboard and it works fine, I'm startig to like it like this.

IMG_20181207_214037.jpg

I was worried that the graphics card wouldn't work, because I boought it second hand and had no means of testing it beforehand, but its fine apparently. It does make some electical-like sounds while in games, but im guessing it's normal.

29 minutes ago, generalpompeyo said:

Hello everyone,

Very soon I'll be building my very first Pc. Back in september, after long weeks of consideration, I decided to sell my Macbook pro and invest in building a Pc, which strangely was, until now, one of my unrealised hobbies. I must confess that researching the components, selecting them, buying them at the best price possible and finaly recieving them one by one, has been a mighty encouraging and satisfying experience. For what its worth, I would like to share this story with the readers here.

A huge advantage of pc building over any other hardware interaction is that it has taught me how a computer works, and by extention how any other computing device works too. I see now that they all have roughly the same parts, like a motherboard, or a source of power. In this sens, Pc building is more transparent than manufactured products (malus pumila), more transparent than having an impenetrable object that only contains mysteries.

It has also given me a strong sens of accomplishement and self worth, I've build a much more powerfull system than my Macbook pro. You could suggest at this point that I didin't truly build the computer, that I just bought the parts and will assemble them soon. Yes, this is true, but nevertheless in doing so I have accomplished much more, in knowledge and understanding, than just buying a product that is ready tu use. I think this a fair claim.

I'm at work, I'll be updating soon with more comments and pictures.

I'm curious to know if anyone feels or felt a similar sensation after building their first Pc.

You will also have a better appreciation for something you put together yourself. You have the pride in doing something productive. You also have the option to upgrade various parts of this machine to see the life of this creation extended.

The next growth in learning will be in your future too if you build enough systems. The first time one doesn't properly boot or you run into a problem after assembly. This will trigger the next step in your training as you have to diagnose and troubleshoot what has gone wrong.

Well done! welcome to the fold :)

I love building PCs (and other things in general). It's been a long time since I built my first PC and even longer since I upgraded and/or replaced parts in a pre-built system and I still remember most of what occurred during that first time. IIRC I installed a Cyrix 166Mhz CPU in the Pentium's motherboard, this was back in 1995/1996, and was an upgrade from the Pentium 90Mhz I had in there originally when the PC was bought. Also with help from a friend we got it overclocked to around 192-212Mhz IIRC.

PCs today are much more affordable and cheap compared to then, and much more powerful and such that it's almost unbelievable, but on the other hand we have much less time waiting for things to process/happen nowadays... I don't miss 3.5" floppies at all :D

For what I paid for that system back then I could build a pretty decent system nowadays, take this ad for example, lol

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

That video made me laugh, and it's incredible that it wasn't that long ago. I'm from 88.I remembre my dad having a huge computer that looked like a briefcase.

Since this is my first build, I'm not sure what sounds the Pc is supposed to make. When I'm doing light tasks it's allmost silent, but in games the graphics card is a bit noisy, it makes an electric-like sound.