is a gtx 1060 6gb the best for my current pc?

OvidiuHiei

I need to buy a graphics card for my pc, current one is really old, my pc is a i5 4460 and 8gb ram, with an SSD on it's way.was wondering if the asus gtx 1060 6GB is my best bet? (the one with a white tiger on the cover) it's selling for 320€ on stores here

Or should i go for another one?

3 minutes ago, OvidiuHiei said:

asus gtx 1060 6GB is my best bet? (the one with a white tiger on the cover)

Hey, I have that one, it's called the Asus Dual GTX 1060, except I have the 3GB version. It's a nice GTX 1060 option, mine never exceeds 73°C even on full load, and will only spin the fans up above 55°C, so it's efficient and quiet.

It does have a slightly cheap-looking construction and a lack of a backplate, but it's worth the £210 I paid for it. 

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

3 minutes ago, OvidiuHiei said:

I need to buy a graphics card for my pc, current one is really old, my pc is a i5 4460 and 8gb ram, with an SSD on it's way.was wondering if the asus gtx 1060 6GB is my best bet? (the one with a white tiger on the cover) it's selling for 320€ on stores here

Or should i go for another one?

the rx 580 can be had for cheaper and 2 free games and it will do you better

'The one with the white tiger' is not exactly very discriptive... You mean the Asus dual 1060 6GB I assume?

The 1060 is a good card, I'd stay clear of the 3GB variants (which you successfuly did). Check the used market for alternatives, otherwise you're good to go

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Hey, I have that one, it's called the Asus Dual GTX 1060, except I have the 3GB version. It's a nice GTX 1060 option, mine never exceeds 73°C even on full load, and will only spin the fans up above 55°C, so it's efficient and quiet.

It does have a slightly cheap-looking construction and a lack of a backplate, but it's worth the £210 I paid for it. 

not a big fan of the "1060" 3 gb. If the price difference is big, great choise, but if you can buy the 580 or 590, you're better off with that one imo.

I know you won't want to hear this, but I'd recommend a 1070 even though it's above your budget. Just for future proofing purposes. The 1060 6gb will need to be swapped out soon if you're playing more current/recent titles. 

The 1060 cards I'd suggest are: Anything from EVGA. or an ASUS model, depending on the price. 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

not a big fan of the "1060" 3 gb. If the price difference is big, great choise, but if you can buy the 580 or 590, you're better off with that one imo.

Back when I got my 1060, it was an £80 difference between the 3GB and 6GB, too big a leap for the budget I had back then.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, seoz said:

Back when I got my 1060, it was an £80 difference between the 3GB and 6GB, too big a leap for the budget I had back then.

yeah, then I would do that too.

4 minutes ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

the rx 580 can be had for cheaper and 2 free games and it will do you better

is tha tthe 8gb OC ver?

its selling for 290€ vs the 1060 6gb one for 320€

or are u talking about the 4gb one?

1 minute ago, OvidiuHiei said:

is tha tthe 8gb OC ver?

no im talking about the 8gb version which is going for 200$ us and comes with 2 free games

Just now, Andrew.Schickowski said:

no im talking about the 8gb version which is going for 200$ us and comes with 2 free games

well on my country things are way more expensive :(

Just now, OvidiuHiei said:

well we can maybe set something up where you paypal me or something and i can send it to you

well the 580 is still cheaper than the 1060 is it not

PC: CPU: i5-9600k - CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB GDDR6 - Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Extreme4 - RAM: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB DDR4-3000 - PSU: Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply - Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 TG

5 minutes ago, OvidiuHiei said:

is tha tthe 8gb OC ver?

what about the 4gb? and is that the MSI armor oc? that's a horrible card coolingwise

5 minutes ago, OvidiuHiei said:

is tha tthe 8gb OC ver?

Any RX 580 8GB > 1060 6GB if the 580 is cheaper. 

RX 580 4GB is just as fast as the 8GB model (unlike 1060 3GB vs 6GB), but even at 1080p I'd recommend the 8GB version just to have headroom for future games' textures. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

3 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

what about the 4gb? and is that the MSI armor oc? that's a horrible card coolingwise

i have the armor edition and i can oc to 1480 mhz and im around 79 to 80c

oh , it's portugal. what about getting something from Germany for example?

never ordered hardware from outside portugal because we have a strict system that stuff may end up blocked when it enters the country and then i have to pay a fee (it happened before with other stuff)

1 minute ago, Andrew.Schickowski said:

i have the armor edition and i can oc to 1480 mhz and im around 79 to 80c

well, I've seen some negative reviews from both users and reviewers

never ordered hardware from outside portugal because we have a strict system that stuff may end up blocked when it enters the country and then i have to pay a fee (it happened before with other stuff)

That's only when ordering outside the european union, right?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, I've seen some negative reviews from both users and reviewers

yea sure its not the best cooler but it does just fine keeping below 80c with a nice 120mhz over clock

That's only when ordering outside the european union, right?

i dont even know anymore, the guy who sent me was from russia, it was a sculpture of a character i ordered and they ruined it + i had to pay for them to release it for me

2 minutes ago, OvidiuHiei said:

i dont even know anymore, the guy who sent me was from russia, it was a sculpture of a character i ordered and they ruined it + i had to pay for them to release it for me

well, outside the eu. so I assume i'm right here. take a look over there I would say!

No customs between Germany and Portugal. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304