Coil Whine, GPU or PSU?

Hi, 

I have Thermaltake smart se 730w, which used to power i7 4790 and 1070FE and then RX580 8G and everything was fine, recently i bought strix vega 64 card and i can hear annoying coil whine while gaming, sound may get lower because of the fan noise. 

The vega 64 draws 250w and 300+w on some games. 

Is that due to PSU or GPU, i know its hard to determine but maybe you cam across such scenario! 

Thanks 

are you gaming above 60hz?

if so have you tried frame limiting the GPU to 60hz..sometimes coil whine on gpus is due to rendering high frame rates

It is GPU coil whine, it is annoying but it's not damaging the GPU so be calm.

most likely the GPU.

if you have stupendously high framerates (>150) limiting that in some way may help, even if that way is to increase graphics settings.

i'm not enough of an engineer to explain this, but it seems like higher framerates == more coil whine.

if your doing memory overclocking try dropping down the overclock it can also make a difference. 

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo