i3 8130U vs i5 8250U

I was planning to but a new ultra book and am confused between these two cpus. Apart from them all other specs are the same so it's really down to them. I will mostly be watching movies, web browsing and some light productive work (excel and stuff). So should I opt for the i3 or future proof my purchase and go with the i5.

Other than that the specs are as follows - 

Asus Vivobook S14

8GB RAM

256 M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB HDD

1080p LED IPS Display

Intergrated Intel 620 UHD Graphics

P.S - If you have any other laptop suggestions, please do mention them.

The Intel Core i3 will offer enough performance for the stuff you are doing, but it is not a Quad Core CPU. The i5 being a Quad core will offer you more headroom for the future.

At the end of the day it depends on the price difference between the two.

i3 8130u has 2 cores and 4 threads, it should be enough for your use case.

i5 8250 i think is the best bang for the buck, 4 cores 8 threads, it should be comparable with previous generation i7, and its a kaby lake refresh, 1 generation away from the i3. For a long term solution this is great, you should look also for Ryzen 2500u, without discrete gpu the Ryzen would beat i5.

The i3 can be easily beatable with a Ryzen 2300u, same core count but with a more powerful integrated gpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I'd say there is a very marginal difference between them. Save yourself some pennies and opt for the i3 if the above as you said is all you plan on doing. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

15 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

i3 8130u has 2 cores and 4 threads, it should be enough for your use case.

i5 8250 i think is the best bang for the buck, 4 cores 8 threads, it should be comparable with previous generation i7, and its a kaby lake refresh, 1 generation away from the i3. For a long term solution this is great, you should look also for Ryzen 2500u, without discrete gpu the Ryzen would beat i5.

The i3 can be easily beatable with a Ryzen 2300u, same core count but with a more powerful integrated gpu.

I would love to opt for Ryzen 2500U but this laptop doesn't come with Ryzen processors yet.

Just like to add some alternative, Lenovo 720s with ryzen 2500u i think is comparable with that vivobook in term of design and price.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w