Upgrade or buy new to 4k

image.thumb.jpeg.a4872ecbcc413cee6a66edd5cc2332f8.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.04b7ffebdc560d89f9c345f4eb6b2187.jpeg

Hey guys asking for some advice i have recently changed to a 4k monitor and my pc has not got the juice to play games at 4k 60fps at high/maximum settings.

Im willing to spend money to upgrade my rig but i want to put my money in the right places so heres my question:

Should i upgrade parts of my current pc to bring it up to speed with 4k gaming or would i be better off starting fresh with an entire new system?

thank you to anyone who responds and offers there advice.

p.s im a bit of a technical noob so speak in simple language for my simple brain <3

Both options work. You could simply add more ram and a much more powerful graphics card to run 4k or you could build new to try and have a better time in games that use alot of cores. Hitting 4k 60 fps isn't particularly hard on a cpu so the i5 should be able to handle most games but some that need alot of cores won't. I think a good starting point would be to know what is your budget. It's hard to figure out what avenue is better until I know how much you can spend or want to spend. 4k gaming is expensive so you may be limited to simply upgrading the gpu. 

The bare minimum for 4k gaming is a GTX 1070 but you'll want to go upto a GTX 1080 or vega 64 if you want something closer to 60fps at 4k. There's no way a 960 could do 4k, and with your CPU, a 1070 will start to get bottle necked. You can't get that much faster on that socket, so I'd recommend doing a new build with a ryzen 2600 and a 1070 or 1080.

So you should be able to keep your storage devices and computer case but your going to need pretty much everything else. (might be a good idea to just add some storage and get an SSD to boot your operating system (aka Windows) faster. I personally recommend going for a higher end GPU and pairing it with a decent CPU. A build like this one should work for you. (I would jsut pick out a CPU fan to pair with the CPU)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($160.98 @ Newegg Business) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1077.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-28 18:46 EST-0500

10 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Both options work. You could simply add more ram and a much more powerful graphics card to run 4k or you could build new to try and have a better time in games that use alot of cores. Hitting 4k 60 fps isn't particularly hard on a cpu so the i5 should be able to handle most games but some that need alot of cores won't. I think a good starting point would be to know what is your budget. It's hard to figure out what avenue is better until I know how much you can spend or want to spend. 4k gaming is expensive so you may be limited to simply upgrading the gpu. 

I was worried by simply buying a new graphics card and more ram that my cpu would be bottle necking my rig and not sure if i would need a better power supply due to all the upgrades so if i have to upgrade all the main components of my pc i would rather buy an entire new pc but i suppose i wouldnt want to spend more than £2000 on upgrades or a new system 

10 hours ago, Darpyface said:

The bare minimum for 4k gaming is a GTX 1070 but you'll want to go upto a GTX 1080 or vega 64 if you want something closer to 60fps at 4k. There's no way a 960 could do 4k, and with your CPU, a 1070 will start to get bottle necked. You can't get that much faster on that socket, so I'd recommend doing a new build with a ryzen 2600 and a 1070 or 1080.

So if you think a new build would be the best option what main componets do you think would be nessecary ie cpu gpu motherboard those types of things my budget would be no more than £2000 but try to save where you can please thanks.   

10 hours ago, RAM555789 said:

So you should be able to keep your storage devices and computer case but your going to need pretty much everything else. (might be a good idea to just add some storage and get an SSD to boot your operating system (aka Windows) faster. I personally recommend going for a higher end GPU and pairing it with a decent CPU. A build like this one should work for you. (I would jsut pick out a CPU fan to pair with the CPU)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($160.98 @ Newegg Business) 
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($498.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1077.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-28 18:46 EST-0500

Thanks il have a look at these specs even though i would prefer to stick with nvidia i could be tempted to change if it meant saving some money :) 

1 hour ago, Manualkiller said:

Thanks il have a look at these specs even though i would prefer to stick with nvidia i could be tempted to change if it meant saving some money :) 

Nvidia is selling the RTX 2070 on their website for $599.99 and the Gigabyte card is the cheapest on the market, however while it's the cheapest from my experience with their style and cooling (I have my own 10 series card from them same cooler style and all) works very well and allows for a good overclock without sending the thermals too high. GPU is also pretty quiet unless you purposely turn the fans up to 70% or more (which you should need to I was just messing around). If your looking to do a complete replace of your PC this could work and wouldn't even cost you 2k. The only reason it would cost you more is if you wanted more M.2 SSDs or had a specific need of the core i9 series. You could always go with 32GB of RAM, but I'm not sure why you would unless you have a program that benefits from it. You could also go for the i7-8700k as its slightly better in terms of raw gaming performance but I don't think the price difference justifies the few extra fps you may get out of it. You'll also want and aftermarket cooler for your CPU, and possibly some thermal paste to boot.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($329.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.00 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($77.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($127.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1463.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-29 07:39 EST-0500

This is what I would get for 4k as it's plenty good for hitting 60fps at 4k granted you may have to turn down some settings to hit 60 in some demanding games but for the most part you should be able to play at high or ultra settings. 

Alternatively you could go Intel for more money. The only thing is that Intel doesn't really shoe it's lead at 4k. It isn't until you get to the 90+ fps that Intel starts to show it's difference in gaming performance compared to AMD.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:32 PM, Brooksie359 said:

Alternatively you could go Intel for more money. The only thing is that Intel doesn't really shoe it's lead at 4k. It isn't until you get to the 90+ fps that Intel starts to show it's difference in gaming performance compared to AMD.

Hey bud i have looked at your specs and think yours are the best for the games im going to be running thanks for putting these specs up for me :)❤️ 

20 hours ago, Manualkiller said:

Hey bud i have looked at your specs and think yours are the best for the games im going to be running thanks for putting these specs up for me :)❤️ 

No problem. Always happy to help pick out parts for builds.